Bend Of River Product No Tree Leaves and Grass

I loaded the "Bend Of River Product" the trees didn't have leaves and there was no grass on the ground. 

I'm not sure how to get it to look like the promo images for this product.

Thanks.

Bend Of River.png
913 x 511 - 778K

Comments

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,879

are probably only visible in render

• LosingSignalLosingSignal Posts: 409
    edited August 2018

On the BOTR Preload Iray Group, there's an option on the Parameters Tab marked Visible in Preview.  It defaults to Off, but if you set it to On, the leaves, berries, and everything else appear in both the preview and your renders.  Turns it into a big memory hog, but its there.

SceneAndParameters.jpg
    435 x 785 - 66K
    Test999.jpg
    763 x 731 - 526K
    Test999a.jpg
    763 x 731 - 604K
    Post edited by LosingSignal on
  • BeeMKayBeeMKay Posts: 6,991

Yes, the instances in this product (and some other, similar products) are set to "off" in preview mode, as they otherwise will create a horrible lag when you move around the camera or pose the characters. They will show up on render, and you can make them visible if you need to check that no one stands in the middle of an instanced tree, as @LosingSignal described.

• Awesome, got it to work, thanks everyone!

• scorpioscorpio Posts: 8,316
    BeeMKay said:

Yes, the instances in this product (and some other, similar products) are set to "off" in preview mode, as they otherwise will create a horrible lag when you move around the camera or pose the characters. They will show up on render, and you can make them visible if you need to check that no one stands in the middle of an instanced tree, as @LosingSignal described.

The problem is they don't seem to show up in render without turning on the Visible in preview mode and then it becomes much too heavy for my computer, DS freezes up and I can't even click the render button I had to shut DS down via Task Manager. I only have 16 GB of RAM but to be honest it feels that to get anything done with this set you need a good 64GB and I can't imagine what card would render this with GPU and thats all before you add anything else to the scene.

• scorpio said:
    BeeMKay said:

The problem is they don't seem to show up in render without turning on the Visible in preview mode and then it becomes much too heavy for my computer, DS freezes up and I can't even click the render button I had to shut DS down via Task Manager. I only have 16 GB of RAM but to be honest it feels that to get anything done with this set you need a good 64GB and I can't imagine what card would render this with GPU and thats all before you add anything else to the scene.

Which version of DS? The Visible options have been revamped recently, so it's possible they are not yet working correctly in your version.

• BeeMKayBeeMKay Posts: 6,991
    scorpio said:
    BeeMKay said:

If you switch from "speed" optimization for instances to "Memory" optimization in render mode, they'll fit fine on into most memories. In Speed mode, I had my 6GB card bowing out often, though.

scorpio said:
    BeeMKay said:

Which version of DS? The Visible options have been revamped recently, so it's possible they are not yet working correctly in your version.

BeeMKay said:
    scorpio said:
    BeeMKay said:

If you switch from "speed" optimization for instances to "Memory" optimization in render mode, they'll fit fine on into most memories. In Speed mode, I had my 6GB card bowing out often, though.

Its set to Memory, the problem was the only way to get the leaves etc to render is to set them to visible in preview this froze DS so I couldn't even click the render button. Pretty useless like this I'm returning it.

• L'AdairL'Adair Posts: 9,479
    edited March 2019

Okay, I finally figured this one out. Thank you to all who posted in the various threads on this issue.

To anyone else having trouble changing visibility settings with this environment…

You're going to have issues moving around in this environment with Visible On. I've got a GTX 1080 and it slows everything down to a crawl. Unless you're using the 4.11 beta, (as of the date of this post.)

So if you are using the 4.11 beta, do this first:

1. You can select the following one at a time, all at once, or in smaller groups. Whatever works for you.
      • Select the More Plants group and all the objects parented to that group.
      • Select all of the leaves and berries for the trees.
      • Select all of the leaves and berries for the bushes.
    2. In the Parameters tab, select all the items listed in the left column.
    3. In the filter field above the right column, type Viewport.
    4. Set the now isolated Visible in Viewport setting to Off.

In version 4.9 and above, make these changes.

1. In Render-Settings->Optimization, set Instancing Optimization to Memory.
    2. Select the top level Group, BOTR Preload Iray in the Scene tab.
    3. In the Parameters tab, locate "Visible iIn Preview" in the left column and select.
    4. In the right column, click on the setting button Visible In Preview and set this to On

Here's a screenshot I found in another thread:

Post edited by L'Adair on
  • HaiGanHaiGan Posts: 1

A belated thank you, the last post sorted things out for me when I had this issue.

• marblemarble Posts: 7,449
    edited May 2020

Just bought this product and already tearing my hair out. Why people sell things without instructions or explanations is a mystery to me.

I've read through the above thread several times and there is no way that I am seeing this parameter "Visible in Preview". * Maybe they removed it in 4.12? The items in the scene are locked with the Eye closed (visibility off). If I select an individual object (i.e. not a group), I can see more display options and "Visible in Viewport" is one of them, but changing that makes no difference to the render - still a barren winter scene. I have selected the items under "More Plants" both individually and as a group and changed "Visible" to on but the render remains barren. In fact, as soon as I hit Render, the damn thing changes back to off again. Clicking the litte eye does nothing - it remains closed.

This is more frustration than it is worth. Going back for a refund.

* [EDIT] Just found the "Visible in Preview" button - it is only available for the root "BOTR Preload Iray" object in the scene. I tried switching it on and the viewport then shows the leaves, etc. (in OpenGL mode) but if I try to render the scene it is black. I'm using the default HDRI which renders the barren scene but not the scene with leaves. As I said - not worth the frustration.

Post edited by marble on
    marble said:

Just bought this product and already tearing my hair out. Why people sell things without instructions or explanations is a mystery to me.

I've read through the above thread several times and there is no way that I am seeing this parameter "Visible in Preview". * Maybe they removed it in 4.12? The items in the scene are locked with the Eye closed (visibility off). If I select an individual object (i.e. not a group), I can see more display options and "Visible in Viewport" is one of them, but changing that makes no difference to the render - still a barren winter scene. I have selected the items under "More Plants" both individually and as a group and changed "Visible" to on but the render remains barren. In fact, as soon as I hit Render, the damn thing changes back to off again. Clicking the litte eye does nothing - it remains closed.

* [EDIT] Just found the "Visible in Preview" button - it is only available for the root "BOTR Preload Iray" object in the scene. I tried switching it on and the viewport then shows the leaves, etc. (in OpenGL mode) but if I try to render the scene it is black. I'm using the default HDRI which renders the barren scene but not the scene with leaves. As I said - not worth the frustration.

Might be your camers view is being blocked by some leaves.

scorpio said:
    marble said:

Might be your camers view is being blocked by some leaves.

Nah - I tried moving it around and zooming in and out - just black. Switch "Visible in Preview" again and the scene renders with the camera in the same position or any other position.

edited May 2020

OK, I know why it rendered black because it has just done so with another scene (different products). DAZ Studio 4.12 now has the option to allow fallback to CPU or not. If not, it seems that you get instant black if you exceed the VRAM limit of your GPU. Oddly, there seems to be some cumulative effect here because this recent scene was rendering ok, then move characters and render again ok, then the next time: all black. Anyhow, the Bend of River scene seems to hit my 8GB limit without any characters loaded. Another reason it just won't work for me.

Post edited by marble on