Carrara and DIM, is there a way......

NoneNone Posts: 0
edited December 1969 in Carrara Discussion

to get the database to scan custom directories?

I have all the content and the required CF files in specific folders

Female Characters
Female Clothing
Female Hair
Male Characters

etc etc

so rather than having to use DIM to download everything again and have it throw everything into one folder, can I get it to scan the folders I have and have it added the required information it wants?

I have looked at the documentation, but have not seen if it is possible, more than likely I haven't looked hard enough.

Due to medication I fall sleep easily so I keep dropping off when I read the Daz documentation :p

Comments

• DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,210
    edited December 1969

Sorry Dude,
    Not exactly sure what you're asking here, so here goes sumthin'.
    My meds are like that, too! :)

First off - I'm not exactly sure that Carrara can do anything with your CF files. Aren't those for Poser DSON? Not sure = me.

Once you have directories in place for various installation locations in DIM, you need to specify which directory for DIM to use, the first time you have DIM install anything. This is if you use several installation paths. So you check everything that should go in "this" directory, then set "this" directory as the path to use, and click download and install - or just install if already downloaded.

DIM will sort the list when you first open it, with Product Updates on the top. Updates will all automatically be installed to the same directory the product being updated was already installed to - which is very cool.

Latest version of DIM also has the ability to recognize Carrara products from Bryce Products from DS/Poser products and will automatically install them to where they are supposed to go - if you set it up (in the settings - little gear icon, upper right) to do that for you.

Now armed with that, maybe you can do what you want, or ask more specifically, where I'm misinterpreting what you want to do.

BTW, miss ya brah... Welcome home!

• NoneNone Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Sorry Dude,
    Not exactly sure what you're asking here, so here goes sumthin'.
    My meds are like that, too! :)

First off - I'm not exactly sure that Carrara can do anything with your CF files. Aren't those for Poser DSON? Not sure = me.

Once you have directories in place for various installation locations in DIM, you need to specify which directory for DIM to use, the first time you have DIM install anything. This is if you use several installation paths. So you check everything that should go in "this" directory, then set "this" directory as the path to use, and click download and install - or just install if already downloaded.

DIM will sort the list when you first open it, with Product Updates on the top. Updates will all automatically be installed to the same directory the product being updated was already installed to - which is very cool.

Latest version of DIM also has the ability to recognize Carrara products from Bryce Products from DS/Poser products and will automatically install them to where they are supposed to go - if you set it up (in the settings - little gear icon, upper right) to do that for you.

Now armed with that, maybe you can do what you want, or ask more specifically, where I'm misinterpreting what you want to do.

BTW, miss ya brah... Welcome home!

Just meant I had all the files together (genesis 1/2 characters clothing etc), and your way will mean I have to select and sort everything before I download which will be a complete ball ache, and means I have to re-download everything again, something I wish to avoid :coolgrin:

At the moment if I try to load any Genesis items from the folders i put above I get the error "Carrara could not load xxxxx.pz2" or something like that.

What I am hoping is possible, would be to try something like

ContentManagementServer.exe --scan c:\Poser Content -------(or what ever command may be required)

and have it go through each folder i have and pick up the required files and put them in to the database

• JaderailJaderail Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

I'm not 100% sure I believe the CMS only sees one folder at this time. But I'll he happy to find out I'm wrong.

edited December 1969

Well that sucks - guess i will have to look at my Excel file and add products per category and see if i can get it to work that way :(

• BlumBlumShubBlumBlumShub Posts: 1,108
    edited December 1969

If your content is downloaded in DIM format (it's all in zip files now) then you could copy the files to one directory and still keep your current filing system.. I know it would take twice as much room, but it would work.

edited December 1969

Yes I know, maybe I will need to invest in some larger drives

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited August 2013

On the other hand, as the zips are so much smaller than the old installers files, it won't be all that much more space needed, if you download all your old content in zip format, to replace your backed up installers.

Post edited by Chohole on
    edited December 1969

I never kept the old installers, I always installed the files to a dummy dir then used Best compression in Winrar to store them, do the same with the zips.

I will have a play about and see what is what

• ManStanManStan Posts: 0
    edited August 2013

I never kept the old installers, I always installed the files to a dummy dir then used Best compression in Winrar to store them, do the same with the zips.

I will have a play about and see what is what

I hadn't ever thought of doing that. I usually install to a dummy folder, then cut and paste. Never thought to rezip to save space, just saved the installer :red:

Seriously. The more I read about DIM the less i like it, and I hated it to begin with. :lol:

Seems the only uses I might have for it aren't part of it's features.

Post edited by ManStan on
    edited December 1969

Only reason I did it this way was because the installers would add a few MB's to the file size, plus some of the installers didn't play nice with the AV i have and it would slow down a system scan

• JaderailJaderail Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

ManStan said:
    Seriously. The more I read about DIM the less i like it, and I hated it to begin with. :lol:

Seems the only uses I might have for it aren't part of it's features.

Stan we all know your View of DIM is rather DIM. But I am in the Process of trying to get info on using DIM in different ways to the Users, among other things. What would you like it to be able to do? Maybe I know away to do it.