SiscaSisca Posts: 875
edited December 1969 in The Commons

From the promo page I get the following:

Growing Up - 30% off today only
Sisters - 30% off today
An additional 10% off each of the above when purchased together
30% off V6 Pro or Starter if you purchase Growing Up

Looking at the items in the store I see:

Growing up: Normally $15.95, discounted to $11.17 (30%)
Sisters: Normally $18.95, discounted to $13.27 (30%)
V6 Pro: Normally $124.95, discounted to $87.47 (30% for PC members I believe)

Based on that I figure if I buy Growing Up, Sisters, and V6 Pro I should see something like:

Growing Up: $9.58 (Additional 10% off the original list price)
Sisters: $11.38 (Additional 10% off the original price)
V6 Pro: $49.99 (Additional 30% off the original price)

This would give me a total discount of $40.98

I figure that I'm probably wrong on the V6 Pro pricing since I'm already getting a discount for PC price. So if I instead take the additional 30% off the already discounted price I get a price of $26.24

So that would give me a total discount of $29.74

What I'm seeing in the cart is a discount of $28.68

I'm not really going to get all bent out of shape over a difference of a dollar but I would like to understand how the math is supposed to work on these things.

SalePrices.PNG
986 x 701 - 146K

Comments

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited December 1969

The additional 30% off is off the orginal purchase price, not off the already discounted price.

• millighostmillighost Posts: 261
    edited December 1969

chohole said:
    The additional 30% off is off the orginal purchase price, not off the already discounted price.

Let's see, you have the (already discounted) prices in your cart:

Growing Up: 11.17
    Sisters: 13.27
    Victoria 6: 87.47

You get an additional 10% off the Growing Up and Sisters, because they are both in the cart; 10% of 11.17 + 13.27 = 10% of 24.44 = 2.44.
    You get 30% off of Victoria 6 = 30% of 87.47 = 26.24.
    The Ebony bundle does not give anything, so your total discount is
    2.44+26.24 = 28.68, just like it reads in your screenshot, so in fact it is exactly the other way around than chohole assumed, because the discounts are applied to the already discounted items (i.e. they are applied after 30% intruduction resp. platinum discounts). Seems to be rather complicated, does it not :-)

• SiscaSisca Posts: 875
    edited December 1969

chohole said:

Let's see, you have the (already discounted) prices in your cart:

Growing Up: 11.17
    Sisters: 13.27
    Victoria 6: 87.47

You get an additional 10% off the Growing Up and Sisters, because they are both in the cart; 10% of 11.17 + 13.27 = 10% of 24.44 = 2.44.
    You get 30% off of Victoria 6 = 30% of 87.47 = 26.24.
    The Ebony bundle does not give anything, so your total discount is
    2.44+26.24 = 28.68, just like it reads in your screenshot, so in fact it is exactly the other way around than chohole assumed, because the discounts are applied to the already discounted items (i.e. they are applied after 30% intruduction resp. platinum discounts). Seems to be rather complicated, does it not :-)

Aye. I had assumed that the discount was from the original price as Chohole said since that's what I've seen in the past.

That being the case the savings would have been even greater unless the 30% didn't stack with the 30% I'm already getting from PC pricing. Again, that wouldn't have been surprising - I mean a total of 60% off is asking a lot - but if that were the case the savings would have been much less than was being indicated.

What I had assumed was that I would get 10% off the original price of both Growing Up and Sisters not 10% off the sum of the already discounted prices. That explains the difference.

As I said, not going to quibble over a dollar. Especially since I finally had a reason to get V6 after the elves that were released yesterday and that allowed me to actually use my PC coupon this month.

I realize it's probably to much to ask for but I would be nice if we could somehow see a more detailed breakdown of the math behind the pricing. I know not everyone would want to see it so maybe a button for a detailed invoice for those of us that are curious.

• DZ_jaredDZ_jared Posts: 1,316
    edited December 1969

The math is based on how we set up the rules of the sale. 99% of the time when discounts stack the second discount is based of the already discounted price, and not the original price. This is standard practice found almost universally no matter where you shop (including mortar and brick stores). One interesting thing to note is that it doesn't matter which order the discounts apply, the price will come out the same. For example say we have a purchase who's original price was $100.00. In this fictional world the user gets two discounts a 40% and a 10% discount. The discounts don't stack up to equal 50%. Instead you must first apply one, then apply the other. 40% off of $100.00 is $60.00. 10% off of $60.00 is $54.00 so the stack would come out to a total of 46% off. Even if you applied the 10% off first and then the 40% you would get the same total. 10% off $100.00 is $90.00, 40% off $90.00 is $54.00, you get the same 46% discount.

Hope this clears up how stacking discounts work in the store.