Tatto On back?

Ali BozisAli Bozis Posts: 39
edited December 1969 in New Users

How do I make a back tattoo.

I'm working in Photoshop, and its easy enough to make a tattoo on the chest, but how do I get around the places on the back/arm/legs where the maps overlap???

Any tutorials on that?

Comments

• frank0314frank0314 Posts: 13,343
    edited December 1969

Do you have the maps separated or are they still stacked?

• Ali BozisAli Bozis Posts: 39
    edited December 1969

I import them via photoshop bridge, not sure what you mean with stacked???

edited December 1969

When the product is mapped it stacks all the separate maps on top of one another. You have to take it into a mapping program and separate them out to get to the individual body parts.

• JaderailJaderail Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

I think they are using a Texture file Frank. I understand what they mean about the seams. Adding a tattoo could be done with the LIE couldn't it? I've never tried but I think it might work.

edited December 1969

Oh wow. I was really off on that one. I understand now. I've never tried a tattoo so I'm not sure. Yes you can use LIE for it.

edited December 1969

Thats sounds great but what is LIE???

edited June 2012

That is the Layered Image Editor. It is part of the DS4Pro and DS4.5 programs. I think in DS4Pro it is in the Surfaces Tab in the Drop down menu in the upper right. It is supposed to allow you to layer one image over another one. I've never used it. I just know about it.

EDIT: I hope someone comes in with some info you can use about it.

Post edited by Jaderail on
    edited December 1969

Maybe I'm not clear enough :)

I have imported the UV maps for my torso into Photoshop, And want to put a tattoo on the back, but how do I make it fit to the UV map??? Cause the neck and back are tricky.
    Also what do I do If i want something to go from the neck and down the arm, cause that are two different UV maps???

edited December 1969

Texturing is one of the hardest things you can do in my opinion. Just because of what you have run into. The seams across zones or areas, whatever they are called. The easy way is to BUY one of the 3D paint programs that will let you paint on the 3D character with the texture loaded. They also let you just position a image over the 3D character were you want it in 3D. Blacksmith 3D is one I know of, I think it is sold here at Daz. I do not do much texture work so I'm not 100% positive on this.

edited December 1969

If is very very hard to do it in Photoshop, but not impossible. You have to spend numerous hours painstakingly lining up the texture. You will need to line it up as best as possible and save the texture and apply it to check it in Poser of DS. Then go back to Photoshop and adjust as needed. This will take a lot of time. I use Cinema4D with Bodypaint for all my texturing. I only use Photoshop for dirtying up the texture and creating my bump and displacement maps. If you happen to have a 3D painting app it will only take you minutes.

edited December 1969

Thanks :) Are there any free apps? Or is it the buying way?

• Eustace ScrubbEustace Scrubb Posts: 2,687
    edited December 1969

Jaderail said:
    Texturing is one of the hardest things you can do in my opinion. Just because of what you have run into. The seams across zones or areas, whatever they are called. The easy way is to BUY one of the 3D paint programs that will let you paint on the 3D character with the texture loaded. They also let you just position a image over the 3D character were you want it in 3D. Blacksmith 3D is one I know of, I think it is sold here at Daz. I do not do much texture work so I'm not 100% positive on this.

Blacksmith3D used to include a free paint-only program along with their full trial version (in B3D 3.n at least): it saved and exported files, but resultant texture maps were limited to about 1024 x 1024. That's what I used to paint the back tattoos in my Gryffin Tattoos project: just lined up the model and brushed the picture across the shoulderblades. You'll almost definitely need some sort of 3D-painting software for what you are asking, since so many models now split their seams up the spine.

edited December 1969

I played with the LIE some. It is just as hard to use as doing the Tattoo in Photoshop. A 3D paint prg is your best bet.

edited December 1969

Sadly I don't think there are any 3D Painting apps that are free. They can can be quite pricy. I think we paid $700 just to upgrade our Cinema 4D and Bodypaint. If you do this for a living then it's a very good investment. It pays for itself very quickly. For the hobbyist its very pricy.

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 96,707
    edited December 1969

I've not tried it, but Blender 3D now has painting tools.