New figure - The Girl 5?!

cecilia.robinsoncecilia.robinson Posts: 2,208
edited December 1969 in The Commons

Sorry to bother, but I was simply stunned by an innocent newsletter today: http://www.daz3d.com/newsletter/2013/special/08-06coupon/08-06coupon.html?utm_source=bronto&utm_medium=email&utm_term=Browser+version+of+the+newsletter&utm_content=Two+Days+Only+-+Take+$5+Off+Your+Next+Purchase&utm;_campaign=(08/06/13)+Two+Days+Only+-+Take+$5+Off+Your+Next+Purchase. I wonder what that character is: it looks strangely much like The Girl 4, yet it's definitely redesigned. Could it mean we're going to get The Girl 5?! If somebody from DAZ staff could at least try to answer if you're permitted to, that would be very nice of you. There is V6, but The Girl and Kids are still on no 4...

Comments

• Carola OCarola O Posts: 3,823
    edited August 2013

More likely to be Girl 6 in that case, there's a couple of threads around, as well as mentionings of her in different threads.

and there's the promo pictures for clothes she appears on, as well as some other tidbits :)

Here's the two links that I got hold of off -

http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/25917/

http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/26359/

Post edited by Carola O on
  • Knight22179Knight22179 Posts: 1,195
    edited December 1969

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but here goes.

Some clothes in the store have fits for Girl 6, not Girl 5. Which means that we will never get a Girl 5 because we'll be getting Girl 6. Some people have already started noticing this. I believe Girl 6 is on the verge of being released very soon.

• Scott LivingstonScott Livingston Posts: 4,331
    edited December 1969

Yeah, I'm expecting it's Girl 6. The reason why she's numbered Girl 6 instead of 5 is that she's (presumably) part of the sixth generation which is based on Genesis 2: Victoria 6, Gia 6, etc.

There was no David 4...he jumped straight from D3 to D5 (for that matter, there was no D1 or D2, either). And Gia 6 is actually the first Gia.

• cecilia.robinsoncecilia.robinson Posts: 2,208
    edited December 1969

Oh, what a pity. Genesis - the real one you can make into anything - is being seriously underestimated these days. And the kids - well, maybe the creators are all so grown-up ;).

• RCDescheneRCDeschene Posts: 2,799
    edited December 1969

DAZ doesn't go by actual character version, they go by the version of the figure line generation itself. Once DAZ reaches that new generation number, all DAZ Iconic Characters will be for that generation.

As for Teens/Kids, DAZ leaves that up to the vendors themselves. The only reason why we got the Young Teens 5 was because of Thorne. Now we have Zev0 releasing his Growing-Up Morphs for G2F very soon.

• agent unawaresagent unawares Posts: 3,513
    edited December 1969

Oh, what a pity. Genesis - the real one you can make into anything - is being seriously underestimated these days.

We had a Girl for Genesis though.
    edited December 1969

Oh, what a pity. Genesis - the real one you can make into anything - is being seriously underestimated these days.

No we didn't. We never got Girl 5 for Genesis. The only "Girl" we got was the Girl 4 Iconic Shape.

• agent unawaresagent unawares Posts: 3,513
    edited December 1969

No we didn't. We never got Girl 5 for Genesis. The only "Girl" we got was the Girl 4 Iconic Shape.
    Which was a Girl for Genesis. I'm not bummed out even a little that they failed to completely rework her look like they did to Aiko.

edited December 1969

Which was a Girl for Genesis. I'm not bummed out even a little that they failed to completely rework her look like they did to Aiko.

Based on one from the 4th generation, then I agree. We got a Girl for Genesis, but we never got an official one (Girl 5).

edited August 2013

We never got a David 4 for Gen 4, either. It sometimes makes me notice a pattern as to whether or not we'll only get eight main characters (Seven adults, one child) per generation with one gender falling short:

GEN 4
    Female: Victoria, Stephanie, Girl, Aiko
    Male: Michael, Freak, Hiro
    Child: Kids

GEN 5
    Female: Victoria, Stephanie, Aiko
    Male: Michael, David, Freak, Hiro
    Child: Young Teens

Now that we're already in Gen 6 with Victoria, Gia, and now Girl soon to come, something tells me someone from the male side might not make the cut...

Post edited by RCDeschene on
  • ZenrelZenrel Posts: 245
    edited August 2013

We never got a David 4 for Gen 4, either. It sometimes makes me notice a pattern as to whether or not we'll only get eight main characters (Seven adults, one child) per generation with one gender falling short:

GEN 4

GEN 5

Now that we're already in Gen 6 with Victoria, Gia, and now Girl soon to come, something tells me someone from the female side might not make the cut...

Nooo not Aiko!!!!!! Well that means Hiro won't be appearing too if Aiko doesn't show up for Gen 6 >.>

Post edited by Zenrel on
    edited August 2013

Zenrel said:

GEN 4

GEN 5

Now that we're already in Gen 6 with Victoria, Gia, and now Girl soon to come, something tells me someone from the female side might not make the cut...

Nooo not Aiko!!!!!!
    I doubt it. Aiko has always been the second biggest seller next to Victoria since Gen 3. Hell, we even got her in Gen 5 despite that MallenLane already gave us Hitomi. Actually, if anything, since we're seeing Gia, who's listed as a "Real World" character, she might actually be replacing Stephanie, who's usually the secondary "Real World" female, this run.

Then again, If it is indeed a gender pattern, by that sequence, we'll loose out on a male character this time. After all, I was the one to speculate that, since Gen 2, DAZ would always at least have a Victoria, Michael, Stephanie, and Aiko for each generation (which would explain S4 and A5's releases despite the odds).

Post edited by RCDeschene on
  • MattymanxMattymanx Posts: 6,879
    edited December 1969

Its been mentioned by DAZ employees in the past that they cannot promise that the "base characters" such as David, Steph, Hiro & ect... will be released each and every generation.

• jestmartjestmart Posts: 4,449
    edited December 1969

I am just hoping that if there is an Aiko 6 and eventual Hiro 6 they are a matching couple again. With Gen 5 Hitomi and Hiro where the couple and poor Aiko was so distraught she went and got radical polygon surgery and started hitting on Freak 5. Of course I am a bit anal retentive and would like my figures in matching sets.

edited December 1969

Mattymanx said:
    Its been mentioned by DAZ employees in the past that they cannot promise that the "base characters" such as David, Steph, Hiro & ect... will be released each and every generation.
    Yeah, they can't promise, but it's very much possible. You know they'll always premiere a generation with Victoria and Michael. As for the other two, Stephanie is too much of a classic, and Aiko is WAY too popular not to market. As I pointed out, Gen 4 & 5 proves that.

David and Hiro are merely male compliments to Stephanie and Aiko respectively, Freak is a muscle monster and Girl is a buy-off from a different 3D artist. All of them are popular as DAZ themselves even said, but neither of them are as popular as the other four.

I am just hoping that if there is an Aiko 6 and eventual Hiro 6 they are a matching couple again. With Gen 5 Hitomi and Hiro where the couple and poor Aiko was so distraught she went and got radical polygon surgery and started hitting on Freak 5. Of course I am a bit anal retentive and would like my figures in matching sets.

I thought that was pretty interesting how they exploited Aiko's more Fanyasy/Game aspect to make her more of a genre match for Freak. But now that we have Gia on board, who's supposed to be the new "Fantasy Warrior Princess", practically replacing She-Freak, it will be interesting how things play out this round.
  • kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,575
    edited December 1969

Zenrel said:

GEN 4

GEN 5

Nooo not Aiko!!!!!!

I doubt it. Aiko has always been the second biggest seller next to Victoria since Gen 3. Hell, we even got her in Gen 5 despite that MallenLane already gave us Hitomi. Actually, if anything, since we're seeing Gia, who's listed as a "Real World" character, she might actually be replacing Stephanie, who's usually the secondary "Real World" female, this run.

Then again, If it is indeed a gender pattern, by that sequence, we'll loose out on a male character this time. After all, I was the one to speculate that, since Gen 2, DAZ would always at least have a Victoria, Michael, Stephanie, and Aiko for each generation (which would explain S4 and A5's releases despite the odds).

...which considering Gia is athletic and musclebound, I can't see her as a Steph Petite replacement. More likely that she is replacing She Freak. Of course I didn't see Steph5 as necessarily being 'Petite" either.

"having a small trim figure —usually used of a woman"

--Merriam-Webster

• IceEmpressIceEmpress Posts: 639
    edited December 1969

No we didn’t. We never got Girl 5 for Genesis. The only “Girl” we got was the Girl 4 Iconic Shape.
    To be fair, G4 wasn't one of the more popular models to my understanding-- from the looks of her freebies, she wasn't nearly as popular as her predecessor. Come to think of it, I don't think the original Girl was THAT popular either, compared to most of the Gen 3's. I'm not sure how they could have improved upon her design, anyhow, unless it involved fixing Genesis's ugly-boob problems I've heard people talk about.
    For that matter, Genesis has had VERY poor toon-genre support. Even Hitomi has very little going for her, and she was a real hit compared to H5, A5, Mavka, and the 3DU morphs. Then when you get to standalone toon textures, there's next to NOTHING for Genesis-- or the Gen 4's-- or even Gen 3's for that matter-- everyone seemed to want to take Hiro and Aiko and give them realistic skin. I'd like to see a toon skin with no bump/mottling/pores but has skin creases on the palms, soles of the feet, and both sides of the fingers/toes, and also one with some muscle shading, but as far as I know, no such thing exists for either the Gen 4's or Genesis.
    To summarize it: We probably didn't get Girl 4 because there wasn't anything a successor could add that legacy G4 did not already possess. In addition, toon characters for some reason were never very popular for Genesis.

Nooo not Aiko!!!!!! Well that means Hiro won’t be appearing too if Aiko doesn’t show up for Gen 6 >.>
    It's possible they'll cut Aiko in favor of Hitomi, or model a character more closely after a combo of Hitomi and A3. Aiko 4 wasn't nearly as popular as A3 except as a mixed morph of V4 Elite (which was also damn near the ONLY thing G4 was used for)

I doubt it. Aiko has always been the second biggest seller next to Victoria since Gen 3. Hell, we even got her in Gen 5 despite that MallenLane already gave us Hitomi. Actually, if anything, since we’re seeing Gia, who’s listed as a “Real World” character, she might actually be replacing Stephanie, who’s usually the secondary “Real World” female, this run.
    That depends. Stephanie Petite has never been nearly as popular as Aiko/Hitomi, but she has always been one of the more popular figures for those who prefer more sleek, slender women. Albeit SP3 had a severe wardrobe shortage compared to most other figures-- even Laura3, I believe (either that or they were tied) Note that by "wardrobe", I'm talking about exclusive clothing, and not refits. Then again, Laura 3 had a much broader demographic than Sp3 and even The Girl because she and Luke had a LOT of appeal to the child/cutesie toon demographic, whereas Sp3's demographic is mostly limited to a certain subset of the "sexy gal", "Mary Sue", and "gotta have variety/one of everything" crowds (in case anyone is not aware, "Mary Sue" is a slang term for fanfiction with a self-insertion by the author-- that is to say, the author creates a character for the fanfic which is an alter-ego of him or herself. Thus a "Mary Sue" Daz/Poser character would be one which a female artist models after her own bodtype *or more often, how her bodytype was when she was younger*.)

Its been mentioned by DAZ employees in the past that they cannot promise that the “base characters” such as David, Steph, Hiro & ect… will be released each and every generation.
    Even if they don't release an Aiko or Hiro for each generation, either DAZ or a PA WILL release a supplemental character for them, simply because there is a huge fanbase/demand for anime characters, esp. among the Japanese 3D artists.

• JOdelJOdel Posts: 6,253
    edited December 1969

The Girl6 Sneak peek thread is up in the Members forum! That typically means the launch will be within 48 hours after it went live.

So; estimated time of arrival is some time this weekend, or Monday at the outside. (i.e., just about a month after Gia launched.)

edited December 1969

Zenrel said:

Nooo not Aiko!!!!!! Well that means Hiro won't be appearing too if Aiko doesn't show up for Gen 6 >.>
    Not at all. In Gen 4 we got a Stephanie, but no David.

Kyoto Kid said:

...which considering Gia is athletic and musclebound, I can't see her as a Steph Petite replacement. More likely that she is replacing She Freak. Of course I didn't see Steph5 as necessarily being 'Petite" either.

"having a small trim figure —usually used of a woman"

--Merriam-Webster

Which doesn't necessarily mean that they'll market her. If they can not give us a lean "Real World" male in Gen 4 or a pair of official Kids in Gen 5, despite the demand, they can and will leave someone out. Though, as I keep contradicting myself, Stephanie is far too classic not to sell. So betting on a Stephanie every generation is a very safe bet.

Nooo not Aiko!!!!!! Well that means Hiro won’t be appearing too if Aiko doesn’t show up for Gen 6 >.>
    It's possible they'll cut Aiko in favor of Hitomi, or model a character more closely after a combo of Hitomi and A3. Aiko 4 wasn't nearly as popular as A3 except as a mixed morph of V4 Elite (which was also damn near the ONLY thing G4 was used for)

Well yeah, that and Hitomi was released with Aiko mentioned in her promo. Plus, everyone knew Hitomi is a MallenLane product. It's like people who buy male clothing, a huge sales impact is who the product came from.

I doubt it. Aiko has always been the second biggest seller next to Victoria since Gen 3. Hell, we even got her in Gen 5 despite that MallenLane already gave us Hitomi. Actually, if anything, since we’re seeing Gia, who’s listed as a “Real World” character, she might actually be replacing Stephanie, who’s usually the secondary “Real World” female, this run.
    That depends. Stephanie Petite has never been nearly as popular as Aiko/Hitomi, but she has always been one of the more popular figures for those who prefer more sleek, slender women. Albeit SP3 had a severe wardrobe shortage compared to most other figures-- even Laura3, I believe (either that or they were tied) Note that by "wardrobe", I'm talking about exclusive clothing, and not refits. Then again, Laura 3 had a much broader demographic than Sp3 and even The Girl because she and Luke had a LOT of appeal to the child/cutesie toon demographic, whereas Sp3's demographic is mostly limited to a certain subset of the "sexy gal", "Mary Sue", and "gotta have variety/one of everything" crowds (in case anyone is not aware, "Mary Sue" is a slang term for fanfiction with a self-insertion by the author-- that is to say, the author creates a character for the fanfic which is an alter-ego of him or herself. Thus a "Mary Sue" Daz/Poser character would be one which a female artist models after her own bodtype *or more often, how her bodytype was when she was younger*.)
    Funny you say that, because S5 WAS actually scanned from a real model, according to her product promotion.

• kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,575
    edited August 2013

...I thought that Steph4 was the best of all the generations as she truly held to the definition of "Petite". She loaded in at about 5' 3" and had a more slender physique than Vicky. Several of her body shapes and base morphs as well as the NPMs expansion were also well in keeping with the concept. Out of the box in comparison I felt Steph5 was a bit "butch' as her facial planes seemed more "rugged" and angular and she had only two body shapes besides the default neither of which could be called "petite". She also included no extra custom shaping/physique morphs like her Gen4 counterpart had which, even though she was Genesis based, seemed to limit her more. The only way to dial in a more "petite" physique was to add a bit of Teen5 Julie to the mix.

However in someways I do wonder if there will be a need for a Steph6 as G2F has several FBMs and PBMs which can accomplish this (including a "No Breast" morph which the original Genesis did not have), and with Zevo's Shape Shift/Growing Up morph sets can easily be made into a "Steph Petite" with little trouble.

Post edited by kyoto kid on
    edited December 1969

JOdel said:
    The Girl6 Sneak peek thread is up in the Members forum! That typically means the launch will be within 48 hours after it went live.

So; estimated time of arrival is some time this weekend, or Monday at the outside. (i.e., just about a month after Gia launched.)

Ugh, what a pity the forum is "censored" :P. But yes, there must be a close date, because there is a product mentioning G6 openly (http://www.daz3d.com/dp-the-girl-6-carrara-shaders).

DP The Girl 6 Carrara Shaders comes with 6 stunning skin shaders (...). - RingoMonfort

• JOdelJOdel Posts: 6,253
    edited December 1969

Well, someone in the thread seems to think the launch will not be until next Thursday. It's hard to say. There used to be sneak peek threads that were there for quite a while before the product launched. V6 didn't get one at all iirc. But she escaped prematurely. Gia's was 2-3 days, but I didn't find it until the day before or whatever.

Quite a bit of the stuff in Girl6's thread looks quite nice. I never thought I'd see the day when the figure which launched with usable clothing would be the Girl.

She's still a Toon hybrid, but a lot closer to a real world figure than her earlier iterations.

• fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,565
    edited December 1969

JOdel said:

Ugh, what a pity the forum is "censored"

The Members Only forum is a perk for Platinum Club members, who usually get to see the previews before everyone else.

edited December 1969

JOdel said:

Ugh, what a pity the forum is "censored"

The Members Only forum is a perk for Platinum Club members, who usually get to see the previews before everyone else.

Yes, you have to be a Platinum Club member to get in.