Rendering on different computers

PjotterPjotter Posts: 274
edited December 1969 in Carrara Discussion

Because I have to a lot of rendering to do (sequenced images), I want to use some of my old stuff. But isn't there going to be a quality difference because of different OS (7 vs XP) and different video cards? They are not hooked up, so they will be completely separated.

Comments

• evilproducerevilproducer Posts: 9,040
    edited December 1969

Pjotter said:
    Because I have to a lot of rendering to do (sequenced images), I want to use some of my old stuff. But isn't there going to be a quality difference because of different OS (7 vs XP) and different video cards? They are not hooked up, so they will be completely separated.

So, you are not going to network them to render? If you have a Pro verion of Carrara you have render nodes at your disposal.

If you're going to do non-networked renders, the only difference should be the speed of the computer. Whatever the render settings are set to, is what your output will be. The only effect the graphics card will have is when you're building your scene. Rendering is exclusively handled by the CPU.

• PjotterPjotter Posts: 274
    edited December 1969

I know, but somehow I cannot connect to other computers. Could be the network settings or my router. It is not my kind of expertise. One day I will have a look at it again.

I have to set up my old stuff again and switch some parts, because one of them refuses to boot. Is somehow a hardware problem. Then install OS and Carrara again. To avoid wasting a days work, I wanted to be sure it would pay of. Now I know it is worth the trouble. Thanks.

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,814
    edited December 1969

I never noticed any difference between my craptop and my desktop except rendertimes

• PjotterPjotter Posts: 274
    edited August 2013

Good to know. Got my previous pc running again (XP gave an error during install, but W7 runs fine. Weird). This one is going to run 24 hours a day. Lets see if it can explode at full throttle. So my main pc is sometimes available again. Everything is so slow with 100% CPU use. Even the screen saver freezes during rendering.

Post edited by Pjotter on
  • evilproducerevilproducer Posts: 9,040
    edited December 1969

Pjotter said:
    Good to know. Got my previous pc running again (XP gave an error during install, but W7 runs fine. Weird). This one is going to run 24 hours a day. Lets see if it can explode at full throttle. So my main pc is sometimes available again. Everything is so slow with 100% CPU use. Even the screen saver freezes during rendering.

If it's attached to an LCD monitor, you don't have to worry about burning your monitor and can turn off the screen saver to save RAM and processor cycles. If it is an older CRT, like I used to have way back, then you should be able to set up your render and turn the monitor off.