The old prefix system ps_type

LooniperLooniper Posts: 0
edited December 1969 in The Commons

Why have they abandoned this prefix system?
For those of us with literally hundreds of products archived here and there, it made finding the right installer a lot easier.

This new ######## zip file thing is a nightmare.

More to the point, is there some way I can find the ps_### on products in my purchase history so I can change the names myself?
The only ones I've been able to find are where the core model has a template in "resource files" that still has the old name.

I suppose if nothing else I could make up my own, but I'd lose that thrill of filling in a missing spot in a series of product numbers. HA!

Comments

• QuietrobQuietrob Posts: 361
    edited December 1969

I can feel your pain. In the end I gave in to the powers that be and use the Install Manager. It even works fine for Poser. Really. The only drawback I can see is that if DAZ is down for maintenance and you're reinstalling, then you can't get to your files.

Are you concerned that the zips don't work?

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 97,714
    edited December 1969

Newer items never had an old-style code, but I'm not aware of a way to get them for the items that did.

• DZ_jaredDZ_jared Posts: 1,316
    edited August 2013

We did away with the old ps_#### codes around the time Michael 4 was released if I remember correctly. After that we switched to an SKU based code. The format was Sku_InstallerNumber_InstallerType_Shortname.extension, or some slight variation of that. The new format for the zips is similar. It goes IM(for install manager)8DigitSku-InstallerNumber_Shortname_Qualifier(if there is one).zip The reason for the change was to make a simple way for both Install Manager and users to distinguish between zip packages.

Why did we abandon the old prefix system? I wasn't here when the decision was made, but I've fielded enough complaints from customers who can't find the proper installer on their system to say that the reason was it wasn't a good system. Most customers found it difficult to follow, and I don't blame them.

*Edit* I was informed that it is a zero padded 8 digit Sku in the IM name, not a 7 digit sku. Looks like somebody needs to learn how to count.

Post edited by DZ_jared on
  • LooniperLooniper Posts: 0
    edited August 2013

quietrob - I'm not concerned about the zips. I tend to make additions and fixes and make my own installers from the result.
    DAZ-jared - Good to know I'm not alone.

You mention that you have fielded complaints, but I seriously doubt you have ever heard a Customer say they liked the new way better.
    The installer doesn't need the file names to determine anything - you include a module that does that. The DSX file describes the placement of every file in the archive.

For those of us buying these products, the coding system you use now is completely useless, and costs us one that actually helped us.

If YOU were a customer looking for something in an archive of say 200+ items from the store.
    What good would it do you to see files with names like..
    IM00002104
    and
    IM00002106?

These numbers tell US nothing.
    But the Old numbers for the Same files.

an079 - tells us it is an animal/creature Core model.
    and
    tx627 - tells us it is a texture set.

Post edited by Looniper on
  • DZ_jaredDZ_jared Posts: 1,316
    edited December 1969

It tells you the sku, which means you can easily access the readme for the product on the wiki, or the product page on the store. That will tell you more than the old code ever would. Plus the name is included with the new codes. The name of a product will tell you more about the product itself than the old codes would a majority of the time.

If you liked the old codes that is a completely valid view point and you have your right to it. I'm just trying to explain the reasoning behind the change.

• MelanieLMelanieL Posts: 7,188
    edited December 1969

Looniper said:
    Why have they abandoned this prefix system?
    For those of us with literally hundreds of products archived here and there, it made finding the right installer a lot easier.

This new ######## zip file thing is a nightmare.

More to the point, is there some way I can find the ps_### on products in my purchase history so I can change the names myself?
    The only ones I've been able to find are where the core model has a template in "resource files" that still has the old name.

I suppose if nothing else I could make up my own, but I'd lose that thrill of filling in a missing spot in a series of product numbers. HA!

Not exactly what you wanted, but this may be of some help: it's a link to the old forum where some kind soul put up a cross-reference list from ps_### to SKU numbers, complete up to 13 June 2011. To get it the other way round you should be able to copy and paste the data into a spreadsheet or somesuch and sort in SKU number sequence?
    http://forumarchive.daz3d.com/viewtopic.php?p=2955980
    edited December 1969

DAZ_jared said:
    It tells you the sku, which means you can easily access the readme for the product on the wiki, or the product page on the store. That will tell you more than the old code ever would. Plus the name is included with the new codes. The name of a product will tell you more about the product itself than the old codes would a majority of the time.

If you liked the old codes that is a completely valid view point and you have your right to it. I'm just trying to explain the reasoning behind the change.

How is that a Reason for the change? If we still had the ps_XX### system we would use Those prefixes to find the product page. Having as an 8 digit number doesn't make it any easier.

There is - No benefit in the new system for the Customers - period. :(

edited August 2013

a cross-reference list from ps_### to SKU numbers, complete up to 13 June 2011. To get it the other way round you should be able to copy and paste the data into a spreadsheet or somesuch and sort in SKU number sequence?
    http://forumarchive.daz3d.com/viewtopic.php?p=2955980

Thank you Melanie.
    This will help with those I have that are old enough to use them.

It's sad really. It may seem like a very small matter, but to me it looks like they've decided that Customer Convenience takes a back seat to some tiny simplification for the sales dept.

I could model everything myself (I do half the time) and make my own textures.. I come here for Convenience. Every little bit of that factors in to how often and how much I purchase.

Post edited by Looniper on
  • peter a054peter a054 Posts: 2
    edited December 1969

Does anybody still have a copy of this cross-reference list? The forumarchive is down and I can't find a cache copy anywhere.

I have a bunch of old purchases and it would be helpful to rename them using the new SKU.

Thanks
    -Pete

• fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,565
    edited December 1969

If you know the product name, go to My Account > Product Library, search for the item, and hover your mouse over one of the download links, and you'll see what the SKU number is.

• TaozTaoz Posts: 9,767
    edited December 1969

Andy Berlin’s old Fun With Bundles page has some info:

http://home.arcor.de/familie.reichow/3D/fwb1.html

edited December 1969

peter said:
    Does anybody still have a copy of this cross-reference list? The forumarchive is down and I can't find a cache copy anywhere.

I have a bunch of old purchases and it would be helpful to rename them using the new SKU.

Why not just download the new files instead?

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited December 1969

Taozen said:
    peter said:

I can actually see two reasons why someone will not want to do that. A) Bandwidth limitations and B) Some people do still prefer the old installers. Plus of course they do still need to cross reference before they download the new ones, in order to know which to download again.. :coolsmirk:

edited December 1969

chohole said:
    Taozen said:
    peter said:

I can actually see two reasons why someone will not want to do that. A) Bandwidth limitations and B) Some people do still prefer the old installers. Plus of course they do still need to cross reference before they download the new ones, in order to know which to download again.. :coolsmirk:

OK, but it seems like a lot of trouble to me, and you miss all the updates.

• nitehawk_ltdnitehawk_ltd Posts: 387
    edited December 1969

Thanks
    -Pete

I would like a copy of this list also. Over the past 10 years I grabbed every freebie that Daz offered each week.
    But I only downloaded about half of it. I have a lot of stuff burned on CDs, but I didn't make any notes as to what it is.
    I really don't want to have to load it into my runtime just to find out what it is. Right now I've been typing the name into the Daz search box to try to get a picture.

I hope that someone kept a copy of this.
    Gerry

• I am interested in the list too, anyone still have a copy?