August 2018 – DAZ 3D New User Challenge – Free Month

Comments

• Added an enemy in the background, that B.A. has taken out. If you look carefully you should see the weapon that they had dropped as they fell over the railing. So without further ado here's version D.

august2018d.png
    1080 x 872 - 1M
  • Hey Knittingmommy, how yuh doin'? I'd like to try your contest with a picture I've done for my Grand-Daughter entitled 'Friends'. I class myself as a failed cartoonist and got into DAZ because someone who had seen my hand-drawn stuff asked me if I could illustrate a 'Little Soldier' for him, which I did, he was/is very pleased with that. I am very much an amateur at GC but enjoy it immensely and would like to progress and improve. At the moment I feel a bit 'stuck' and don't seem to be able to progress. I am very fond of everything Toony and would like to animate a Little Soldier (3Ddoji) Toon Generations. I always seem to have a problem with casting shadow in that I cannot get my work to cast a shadow. Having made that comment I do sometime get shadows randomly without any input from me - bizarre. A critique from someone who has obvious skill and experience would be most valuable for me.

Thankyou and have a nice day.

Friends.jpg
    1300 x 1000 - 996K
  • KnittingmommyKnittingmommy Posts: 8,191
    edited August 2018
    no nose said:

Alright the hair is more highlighted, not a fan of the shadow on the neck though, can't figure out how to make it less sharp, or get rid of it.

Lighting is not something I know a lot about. It's one of those things I know enough to be dangerous, but not enough to give instruction for advanced topics. For instance, I could tell a person about a 3 point light setup and how to start building one. I also know how to set up lights and change intensity and such. I know there is a way to make light softer, but I don't remember the best way of doing that for Iray lights which is what it looks like you're using.

Lighting is such a complicated area when it comes to 3D Art. People study it for years. Sometimes, you just have to play around and experiment and see what you like.

Here are a couple of links to my favorite lighting tutorials for Daz Studio. Hopefully, there will be something in there that will help you figure out the answer to your question. My best guess is to possibly use a mesh light (or turn your spotlight into a mesh light, yes you can do that) if you don't like the harsh shadows that the new spotlight is placing on your figure. Both of these lighting tutorials are from ShebaShake's website Think, Draw, Art! If you aren't familiar with the site, there are a ton of useful tutorials for using Daz Studio. Look up ShebaShake in the Gallery, my all-time favorite artist there who consistently creates amazing artwork.

5 Ways to Create 'Soft Lighting Effects' in Daz Studio
    Daz Studio Iray Tips and Tricks

Cat_Dancing Welcome. You can definitely join the New User challenge. Are you using 3Delight as your render engine or Iray? It looks like it might possibly 3Delight. The advice for shadows is completely different for the two rendering engines so I want to make sure we are on the same page and I know which engine you are using.

Edit: Apparently, I can't spell. Fixed.

Post edited by Knittingmommy on
  • Here's version E of 'The Shadowrunners'

Added some smoke coming from Hannibal's cigar, gave Murdock a HUD (thou it looks more like an eye patch at this time.) and did some texture work on Face's cyber-arms.

august2018e.png
    1080 x 872 - 1M
  • FishtalesFishtales Posts: 6,043

@no nose 

Try a plane set to emissive on the left of the face to fill in the shadow. Don't make it too bright and you can increase its size to soften the light.

• no noseno nose Posts: 300

Well while I wasn't planning on completely removing shadows, it looks better then the alternitive in my opinion

47th shot (c).png
    2560 x 2560 - 4M
    no nose said:

Well while I wasn't planning on completely removing shadows, it looks better then the alternitive in my opinion

no nose - It looks good. You might have to play with the lighting more if you want to keep the shadows while softening them. Try pulling back the new light until you get some shadows you like. Though, the current image isn't bad. It's all a matter of the look you are trying to achieve. We can give advice here, but you are the one with the vision. You always have the final call in how you want your image to look. Lighting is always one of those tricky aspects of digital art where an artist must play around and experiment until the desired results are achieved. 

• Alright version F here, I went and for some reason added a fifth shadowrunner to the team, but unlike the rest, as you can see they aren't very aware of their surroundings. The noob has gone and tripped, and is falling backwards into Hannibal but haven't quite reached him yet. Doesn't help that they've fired a burst from both their weapons in their surprise as they started to fall, hope they don't hit B.A. with the right one.

august2018f.png
    1080 x 872 - 1M

Alright version F here, I went and for some reason added a fifth shadowrunner to the team, but unlike the rest, as you can see they aren't very aware of their surroundings. The noob has gone and tripped, and is falling backwards into Hannibal but haven't quite reached him yet. Doesn't help that they've fired a burst from both their weapons in their surprise as they started to fall, hope they don't hit B.A. with the right one.

Shinji - I love that! Must be those heels. I think it's a nice addition to the story you have going on.

• Hi Knittingmommy and thanks for the welcome note. Yes, you've got it I am using 3Delight. I don't use Iray because I don't think I yet have enough skill and experience to make good use of it plus, 3Delight renders much quicker.

No

no nose said:

Now that you have it then you can .......

1) Decrease the lumen value until the shadow comes back to the level you want it.

2) Increase the surface area of the plane which will soften the light.

3) Move the light up, back or more behind the model

Either do all, one or some, whichever suits your vision of the scene.

edited August 2018
    Fishtales said:

No

no nose said:

1) Decrease the lumen value until the shadow comes back to the level you want it.

Ok, followed the first tip, looks pretty good.

Personally my goal is try to make stuff look realistic, I know it's a complicated and difficult goal, especially since I'm stuck with free figures. But for what I have I'd say i'm doing pretty well. Only real thing i'm missing is clothes, hair, and the ability to make good stuff in every enviorment

47th shot (D).png
    2560 x 2560 - 4M
    Post edited by no nose on
    no nose said:
    Fishtales said:

No

no nose said:

Ok, followed the first tip, looks pretty good.

Personally my goal is try to make stuff look realistic, I know it's a complicated and difficult goal, especially since I'm stuck with free figures. But for what I have I'd say i'm doing pretty well. Only real thing i'm missing is clothes, hair, and the ability to make good stuff in every enviorment

Looking better. I think the main light at the font could do with being less bright. Also I would change the glossy colour from 255 pure white, to 217 on the  lips and eyes and change the glossy roughness to 0.7 on the lips,  glossiness to 0.6 and glossines 0.7 and glossy roughnes to 0.3 for the eyes. I  think, I'm not at my macjine just now ????

not to big of a fan, besides the light levels I dont see to much of a difference

47th shot (E).png
    2560 x 2560 - 4M
  • Hello all; I'm trying my hand at these again. Here, Rylie is engrossed in her novel, while Paisley sneaks up with some sort of mischief on her mind.

My current plans for thhe next iteration are to try to figure out how to use the DForm tool. Just plopping a character on the sand leaves them, to my eye at least, either floating or clipping. I'm hoping I can mock soft-body interactions with the tool, though it still seems like dark magic. The other potential issue is that I'm not sure about the HDRI. This one has the sun somewhat low, so most angles either put the characters in shadow, or flood the area with way too much light. Like, my eyes hurt in sympathy to anyone caught in that mercurial hellscape. Plus, this image has the ground meeting the horizon, leaving a weird band, whhich I'm not sure how to feel about.

Any comments, criticisms, horrible problems I overlooked? For that matter, how's my formatting?

18-8-beach-sneaky-sister-mk0

• no nose, you might want to explore environmental lighting next. Easier to get immediate results than manual lights, but more difficult to adjust to do what you want. I definitely recommend sticking to manual lighting for this project, though, as you'll probably learn the fundamentals better.

no nose said:

not to big of a fan, besides the light levels I dont see to much of a difference

Those settings aren't set in stone. Perhaps raising the Lumen on the front light a  little, raise the glossiness on the lips. What is the refraction index for the eyes, skin and lips set at? All that can make a difference in how the light acts with the figure.

no nose, you might want to explore environmental lighting next. Easier to get immediate results than manual lights, but more difficult to adjust to do what you want. I definitely recommend sticking to manual lighting for this project, though, as you'll probably learn the fundamentals better.

Yeah my only real option atm is manual, I cant afford any of the ones on the stores and the ones that come with Daz rarely give ideal results

• LinwellyLinwelly Posts: 5,795

Hey Knittingmommy, how yuh doin'? I'd like to try your contest with a picture I've done for my Grand-Daughter entitled 'Friends'. I class myself as a failed cartoonist and got into DAZ because someone who had seen my hand-drawn stuff asked me if I could illustrate a 'Little Soldier' for him, which I did, he was/is very pleased with that. I am very much an amateur at GC but enjoy it immensely and would like to progress and improve. At the moment I feel a bit 'stuck' and don't seem to be able to progress. I am very fond of everything Toony and would like to animate a Little Soldier (3Ddoji) Toon Generations. I always seem to have a problem with casting shadow in that I cannot get my work to cast a shadow. Having made that comment I do sometime get shadows randomly without any input from me - bizarre. A critique from someone who has obvious skill and experience would be most valuable for me.

Thankyou and have a nice day.

I will try to help you with the shadow problem, but I have the feeling that I need some more information on what you used, Is that a HDRI used in 3delight? Which light sources do you use?

Remember that in 3delight you have to tell every light source that it should be casting shadows. So Check the lights you have in the li9ghts tab of your scene. The plus side for 3delight is that you can tell it as well how intense the shadow should be or and how soft.

If you are using purely HDRI You might need a shadow catcher to make it work, but you could add a simple plane at ground level to test if then you generally have shadows in your scene.

I admit I never used HDRI for 3delight sucessfully, I always build some ground strukture and yued the rest adn environment (But then I'm not very sucessfull in Iray with HDRIs either ;))

well I reduced the temperture a bit and i'm happy with how it turned out

47th sot (F).png
    2560 x 2560 - 4M

@no nose

That's better. The eyes might do with a bit more sharpness to them, the highlight looks a bit fuzzy. Glossy roughness to 0.1/0.2 perhaps?

Fishtales said:

@no nose

That's better. The eyes might do with a bit more sharpness to them, the highlight looks a bit fuzzy. Glossy roughness to 0.1/0.2 perhaps?

Doesn't seem to make a visible difference

Does the eye texture have a reflection burned into it?

Doesnt seem that way

Hi Knittingmommy and thanks for the welcome note. Yes, you've got it I am using 3Delight. I don't use Iray because I don't think I yet have enough skill and experience to make good use of it plus, 3Delight renders much quicker.

Personally, I think Iray is easier than 3Delight, but others think the opposite. I find 3Delight very difficult to understand though I'm getting better at it. I've called in reinforcements to help you out since I can't answer 3Delight questions. @Linwelly who answered above is one of the best I know at 3Delight. Learn from her Padowan. ;)

no nose said:

no nose, you might want to explore environmental lighting next. Easier to get immediate results than manual lights, but more difficult to adjust to do what you want. I definitely recommend sticking to manual lighting for this project, though, as you'll probably learn the fundamentals better.

Yeah my only real option atm is manual, I cant afford any of the ones on the stores and the ones that come with Daz rarely give ideal results

no nose - There a lot of places that have HDRs you can get for free for some environmental lighting and ambience. You can also create your own. Though I agree, playing with manual lighting will give you a better grasp for future renders. 

Here are some links when you decide to play around that might help:

https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/57531/list-of-sites-with-free-hdri/p1 ; (This thread has pages of links to sites that have free HDRs,)

http://cgalter.com/custom-studio-hdr/ ;  (One of my favorite tutorials explaining, with images, how to create your own custom HDR lighting in Photoshop. You can also follow the tutorial if using Gimp which is what I use. If I recall, most of the steps were all the same. There might have been one or two spots I had to figure out the equivalent in Gimp, but nothing super difficult.)

Hi Knittingmommy and thanks for the welcome note. Yes, you've got it I am using 3Delight. I don't use Iray because I don't think I yet have enough skill and experience to make good use of it plus, 3Delight renders much quicker.

Personally, I think Iray is easier than 3Delight, but others think the opposite. I find 3Delight very difficult to understand though I'm getting better at it. I've called in reinforcements to help you out since I can't answer 3Delight questions. @Linwelly who answered above is one of the best I know at 3Delight. Learn from her Padowan. ;)

no nose said:

no nose - There a lot of places that have HDRs you can get for free for some environmental lighting and ambience. You can also create your own. Though I agree, playing with manual lighting will give you a better grasp for future renders. 

Here are some links when you decide to play around that might help:

https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/57531/list-of-sites-with-free-hdri/p1 ; (This thread has pages of links to sites that have free HDRs,)

http://cgalter.com/custom-studio-hdr/ ;  (One of my favorite tutorials explaining, with images, how to create your own custom HDR lighting in Photoshop. You can also follow the tutorial if using Gimp which is what I use. If I recall, most of the steps were all the same. There might have been one or two spots I had to figure out the equivalent in Gimp, but nothing super difficult.)

edited August 2018

Having a closer look, on my laptop and on my tablet, there seems to be two reflections . A fuzzy one on a layer above a sharp one on the layer below it. Perhaps the setting is different on the two layers.

NAE

I will assume you used GENESIS so I did this render but I used https://www.daz3d.com/iray-converter-for-genesis although I still had to tweak the yes and the bump on the lips, looking at it now I should have fixed the bump on the skin too. You can see there is only the one reflection in her eyes of the spotlight shining on her face.

genesis-v4uv-copyright-001.jpg
    640 x 800 - 242K
    Post edited by Fishtales on

I used Genesis 8, not sure how much of a difference it makes

• daybirddaybird Posts: 648
    edited August 2018

After weeks of doing nothing in Daz, I got this week a old nvidia GTX 745 grapic card. I no she is not the best, but I find the boost amazing. 

Renders who in the past needed the whole day or more are now ready in 1-2 hours. 

Another surprise was, how fast we forgot things if we don't do them often. It took me much longer then I thought to get some results that I wanted.

I totally failed too create godrays (only got a thick soup of foggy white pixels), 

But befor I take to much effort in this scene, I better post the first result and maybe get some good advices, what I could do better.

Explorer 1.jpg
    1200 x 1000 - 365K
    Post edited by daybird on
  • daybird said:

After weeks of doing nothing in Daz, I got this week a old nvidia GTX 745 grapic card. I no she is not the best, but I find the boost amazing. 

Renders who in the past needed the whole day or more are now ready in 1-2 hours. 

Another surprise was, how fast we forgot things if we don't do them often. It took me much longer then I thought to get some results that I wanted.

I totally failed too create godrays (only got a thick soup of foggy white pixels), 

But befor I take to much effort in this scene, I better post the first result and maybe get some good advices, what I could do better.

Not a bad start that you have going daybird