DAZ Studio 4.6 Crashes

edited December 1969 in Daz Studio Discussion

Anyone know why DAZ Studio 4.6 crashes every time I try to use hardware rendering with my nVidia GTX 580 graphics card.

Comments

• GreatLordGreatLord Posts: 0
    edited August 2013

I have same issue with my computer but found a workaround
    1) change to hardware render
    2) close studio
    3) restsart it hardware render should be default now.

now hardware render is working for me.
    to switch back to 3Dleight I need redo the process with 3Dleight

it seam it is switch betwin hardware render and 3Dlieght cause the crash. and I can reproduse this every time.

Post edited by GreatLord on
  • Herald of FireHerald of Fire Posts: 3,504
    edited December 1969

To be honest though, you're better off using 3Delight for the rendering and that's software only. Hardware rendering is as ugly as sin, and isn't recommended for final works anyway. It only supports a handful of the full features of any given surface (the most basic) and the hardware itself can only handle a limited number of textures, due to their size and the limited graphics memory.

My system also crashes when attempting to use basic hardware rendering, but I never use it anyway. 3Delight rendering (ie Max Quality) will always be the best option when working on Daz Studio projects, and you can always reduce the size or quality within the 3DL settings to make quick 'test' renders if you need them, as well as use of the spot rendering tool.

• GreatLordGreatLord Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Yeah the hardware render does not even using my full GPU power.
    I using 3Delight render and 8core cpu runing at 4.6Ghz each

What I which is 3Delight did have OpenCL support.
    OpenCL exists in MacOS/Linux/Windows for all modern hardware.

• JaderailJaderail Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Um.. you do know that the 3Delight render engine in DAZ Studio is a Renderman compliant render engine? The very same 3D render engine used for REAL hollywood movies like Spiderman, IronMan and others. Your not going to find a Better render engine for free and OpenCL is cool but still very young and not a industry standard as yet.