How do I load and save props I've made?

Hey all. I've made some landscape pieces in Blender and want to use them in my Daz Studio scenes. How do I do that? Do I have to import them each time I want to use them or can they be saved in the "My Library" folder?

Comments

• macleanmaclean Posts: 2,438

Import the .obj file into DS, then save it to the library as an asset through Menu> File> Save As> Support Asset> Figure/Prop Asset. This saves it to the data folder, and it will ask you what folder you want to use. You can create your own, or use the default Product folder.

You *could* just save the obj as a Scene Subset, but that creates a larger file with all the vertex information in it, and if you load the prop multiple times, it uses more resources.

After it's been saved as an asset, if you make any changes to it (for example, changing the materials or setting the origin), you can just resave it as a Scene subset. But if you were to make any change to the obj, like the uv mapping, you'd have to re-import it and save it as an asset again. Alternately, (and slightly easier) is to update the geometry through Menu> Edit> Object> Geometry> Update Base Geometry> Update Full Geometry. Use the browse dialog to find your new obj, then resave it as an asset.

• M1d4zBAlM1d4zBAl Posts: 16

Ok; thanks for all the info Maclean. Props up and running now :D

• EnsaryEnsary Posts: 75

maclean said:

Import the .obj file into DS, then save it to the library as an asset through Menu> File> Save As> Support Asset> Figure/Prop Asset. This saves it to the data folder, and it will ask you what folder you want to use. You can create your own, or use the default Product folder.

You *could* just save the obj as a Scene Subset, but that creates a larger file with all the vertex information in it, and if you load the prop multiple times, it uses more resources.

After it's been saved as an asset, if you make any changes to it (for example, changing the materials or setting the origin), you can just resave it as a Scene subset. But if you were to make any change to the obj, like the uv mapping, you'd have to re-import it and save it as an asset again. Alternately, (and slightly easier) is to update the geometry through Menu> Edit> Object> Geometry> Update Base Geometry> Update Full Geometry. Use the browse dialog to find your new obj, then resave it as an asset.

3 years later, still helps a lot, thanks!!