Carrara Acacia Umbrella tree

StezzaStezza Posts: 7,795
edited July 2018 in Carrara Discussion

I'm trying to get this in the tree room

and best I can work out is this

any ideas on settings on how to get it to look like the top one?

thanks 

treeacacia.jpg
654 x 521 - 47K
Post edited by Stezza on

Comments

• DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,073
    edited July 2018

Can be frustrating.  One suggestion that could help would be to have another generation of branches in your upper tree area for density.  The ramified and hybrid tree options do not have the extra branches as default, you have to add them.  See here for some screenshots I posted to remind myself how to do it.

https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/comment/3574716/#Comment_3574716

Another option is to model a branch with multiple leaves and then substitute this new branch for the leaves in the tree tabs.

EDIT:  Also, you may want to chane the start and end angle of your branches in your top most generation of branches.  They appear too steep.

Post edited by Diomede on
    edited July 2018

Here is a quickie with default shaders and default leaves.

EDIT - One setting that seems to have a big effect, after you set the tree shape to "Hybrid" in the experts tab, is to return to the tree shape tab and play with the "Ramified threshold" slider.  It does not seem to be straightforward.  Higher numbers do not always result in a more dense branch/leaf result (nor lower numbers).  May have to return and adjust after you choose your settings for each generation in the expert tab.  And you may want down gravity in tree shape as well.

kk06 tree test render.jpg
    640 x 480 - 15K
    kk01 tree experts hybrid.JPG
    1818 x 1013 - 157K
    kk02 tree experts branches 2.JPG
    1872 x 1024 - 162K
    kk04 tree experts branches 4.JPG
    1893 x 1019 - 162K
    kk05 tree shape ramified threshold down for more dense question and tree shape controller.JPG
    1887 x 1036 - 156K
    edited July 2018

After a couple more adjustments to the length/angles of the first generation of branches and applying a curve to the second.  Not great, but it is a starting point.

See attached zip file.

ll01 couple more adustments.jpg
    640 x 480 - 23K
    zip
    zip
    Hybrid acacia car zip.zip
  • TangoAlphaTangoAlpha Posts: 4,584

If you make the end angle of your gen 1 branches close to 90 (it's with respect to the parent branch), they'll be flatter. Below 90 they'll point up, above 90 and they'll point down.

• MistaraMistara Posts: 38,675

ooo thats the tree in zoo tycoon.  

makes giraff happy wen in their enclosure.

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,800

I made a mulga once, forget how no longer seem to have it

• StezzaStezza Posts: 7,795

thanks for all your inputs

shall experiment today and see if I get something.. I shall post my results good or bad later in the day...

in the meantime I'm looking at Dinoraul's trees over at the Rendo nursery.. there's nothing worthwhile here at DazShop cool
    in case I can't do a decent one I shall buy one!! eeeeek!

edited July 2018

There is a free tree program called Arbaro - you might give it a try

https://sourceforge.net/projects/arbaro/

I dont use Arbaro, so here are some alternatives

https://alternativeto.net/software/arbaro/

• DesertDudeDesertDude Posts: 1,234
    edited July 2018

I took a stab at this, but first want to echo Diomede's awesome suggestions, especially creating a custom branch with leaves and substituting that for a "leaf". I also want to say thanks to TangoAlpha for the helpful hint. That, combined with Diomede's link above about Hybrid Trees brings the possibility of creating a tree trunk that "splits".

Meanwhile I have been flailing around in the Plant Editor for the last hour and half or so like it's Peabody and Sherman's Wayback Machine...and got the results pictured below.

It's important to note I duplicated the plant and rotated it and raised it up on the Z axis a bit...exposing the horrible roots of the raised tree, lol.

Which then reminded me of another avenue for you: Years ago a longtime Carrara genius teased us with a product called...'Super Trees'(?) where he combined trees together. So, you may be able to create your tree in parts and still preserve the parts as procedural plants. Just a thought.

Edited to add: I thought at the time those 'Super Trees' involved bones, and just tested, yes you can add bones to plants. Sorry if that is common knowledge, new to me. 

Assembly_Room.jpg
    1303 x 808 - 124K
    Trunk.jpg
    1426 x 1074 - 83K
    Branches.jpg
    1420 x 1068 - 71K
    Leaf.jpg
    1418 x 1068 - 91K
    Tree_Shape.jpg
    1421 x 1078 - 76K
    Gen1.jpg
    1421 x 1070 - 96K
    Gen2.jpg
    1421 x 1077 - 98K
    Gen3.jpg
    1414 x 1070 - 96K
    Render.jpg
    790 x 592 - 96K
    Post edited by DesertDude on

Ugh. Sorry, as usual I got a bit fooled. Adding bones to a plant automatically converts the plant to a vertex object? Apparently so...

edited July 2018

gave up on the tree room... couldn't get it to work the way I liked... 

so decided to model a tree trunk and add some hair to a semi duplicated displaced sphere.... surprise

so far have ended up with this

tree tops3.jpg
    890 x 535 - 61K
    tree tops.jpg
    734 x 381 - 36K
    tree tops2.jpg
    938 x 425 - 69K
    Acacia Render.png
    640 x 480 - 355K
    Post edited by Stezza on
  • SileneUKSileneUK Posts: 1,969

Do you know about this free software?  I have downloaded it, but not tried it yet.  Am going to be creating some steppe/tundra vegetation that I can't find anywhere after failing at making decent billboard type leaves, flowers, etc.  They have a texture tool and a mapscape as well.

http://www.evolved-software.com/treeit/treeit

indecision Silene

• HeadwaxHeadwax Posts: 9,922
    Stezza said:

gave up on the tree room... couldn't get it to work the way I liked... 

so decided to model a tree trunk and add some hair to a semi duplicated displaced sphere.... surprise

so far have ended up with this

that's wonderful Stezza, much better than the tree room!

Yes, that looks great!!

Well done, Stezza!

• 0oseven0oseven Posts: 626
    SileneUK said:

Do you know about this free software?  I have downloaded it, but not tried it yet.  Am going to be creating some steppe/tundra vegetation that I can't find anywhere after failing at making decent billboard type leaves, flowers, etc.  They have a texture tool and a mapscape as well.

indecision Silene

Thanks for this link - looks very nice

• SileneUKSileneUK Posts: 1,969
    0oseven said:
    SileneUK said:

indecision Silene

Someone had posted about it in free software that makes life easier. If you end up trying it, can you post how well it works some time?

Stezza... I wonder if it's possible to use the curl tool to make the hair on the branches bend in a loop?  I like the lushness that the hair texture gives your tree. Hair is so versatile!  yes Silene

and did you try gravity on the branches in tree room?

yep...

I could get nothing to work that I liked...

I'll probably end up getting the dinoraul tree when/if it comes on sale

SileneUK said:
    0oseven said:
    SileneUK said:

indecision Silene

Someone had posted about it in free software that makes life easier. If you end up trying it, can you post how well it works some time?

Stezza... I wonder if it's possible to use the curl tool to make the hair on the branches bend in a loop?  I like the lushness that the hair texture gives your tree. Hair is so versatile!  yes Silene

Thanks Silene..

I tried the treeit .. it does have an acacia tree but I couldn't get the leaves looking good in Carrara..

with the hair I used all the frizzes, curls, length ect ... 

Dinoraul has a scheffera like mine in my front yard, I bought his, I don't know if he has an acacia.

The scheffera has umbrella arranged  like broad leaves, quite a different plant.

Yep, he has an umbrella acacia and other cool stuff.