Diffuse going crazy in some areas. (IRAY)

FlortaleFlortale Posts: 611

I have a hidden mesh light behind the window that I'm using to shoot light into the room. It's a strong light.  The problem is the curtain seems to be forcing light back into the window sill causing that hard burn area.  Is there anyway to fix that?

Post edited by Flortale on

Comments

• SixDsSixDs Posts: 2,384

I would be inclined to focus my attention on the curtains, rather than the window sill, as it appears to be the back side of the curtains reflecting the strong light back onto the sill. You might want to check the settings for the curtain surfaces to see if you can adjust the reflectivity.

• FlortaleFlortale Posts: 611
    edited July 2018
    SixDs said:

I would be inclined to focus my attention on the curtains, rather than the window sill, as it appears to be the back side of the curtains reflecting the strong light back onto the sill. You might want to check the settings for the curtain surfaces to see if you can adjust the reflectivity.

Any setting with the word reflectivity on it was set to 0.

The curtain has a basic uber shader on it, no gloss, just a bump map and a cutout opacity map and setting of 3. I tried stripping the shader down to bare minimum but the problem still happens.

• JonnyRayJonnyRay Posts: 1,744

Honestly, to me, it looks physically correct. If you have strong sunlight shining in through a window and the curtain has a white backing on it, you will get a bright highlight on the window in between the sill and the curtain.

edited July 2018
    JonnyRay said:

Honestly, to me, it looks physically correct. If you have strong sunlight shining in through a window and the curtain has a white backing on it, you will get a bright highlight on the window in between the sill and the curtain.

Is there anyway to control the strength of whatever is happening via the uber base materials?

It seems when geometry is very close together, it bounces light like crazy. Is there anyway to control the strength of the bounce?  Some type of global setting where you can lower the value of how strong light is when two objects are close together?

I guess if it looks right to you, I'll go with it.

Okay I figured it out. 

I had the material set to Specular/Glossiness in the Uber Base Shader.  I switched it to Metallic/Roughness and now it's not so bad.