Brackets and curly brackets on non US (Scandinavian) keyboards?

I'm getting my feet wet using the Script IDE and to my surprice it's impossible to type both brackets and curlly brackets Script IDE editor on my Swedish keyboard?!?

It is possible to copy the characters from a text editor into the Script IDE editor.

Is it a bug that should be reported?

Comments

• SimonJMSimonJM Posts: 5,945

Are those symbols on your keyboard, and wah OS are you using (Win or Mac)? If Win-based try Alt00040 and Alt-0041 for ( and ) and Alt-0123 and Alt-0125 for { and }

Usin copy/paste should alos be ok.

• TotteTotte Posts: 13,510
    edited July 2018

Are you using Windows or Mac OS X?

I know most of my Windows programming friends here in Sweden set their keyboards in US mode as it's painful ALTGR + SHIFT + (something else)  + 8 or 9 combinations.

On OS X;
    { = SHIFT + OPT (ALT on Swe Keyboard) + 8
    } =  SHIFT + OPT (ALT on Swe Keyboard) + 9 

[ =  OPT (ALT on Swe Keyboard) + 8
    ] = OPT (ALT on Swe Keyboard) + 9 

Post edited by Totte on
  • V3DigitimesV3Digitimes Posts: 3,049

Same for me on a french keyboard, I never managed to have a  or a  } or a [  or a ]. All my programs are made so far by copy-paste them from somewhere else which slows down the work. 

Totte, your solution does not work for me, but Simon, indeed, it seems to work. ALT 0123 and ALT 0125 for the curly brackets, ALT 091 and ALT 093 for the other ones. Thanks for that, once I remember them, I should finally stop copy paste those symbols.

Same for me on a french keyboard, I never managed to have a  or a  } or a [  or a ]. All my programs are made so far by copy-paste them from somewhere else which slows down the work. 

Totte, your solution does not work for me, but Simon, indeed, it seems to work. ALT 0123 and ALT 0125 for the curly brackets, ALT 091 and ALT 093 for the other ones. Thanks for that, once I remember them, I should finally stop copy paste those symbols.

Glad it helps, and for completeness ... here's the lot :)

• bringhobringho Posts: 239

Sorry for not beeing around since I put out the question, I've been busy building a fundament for my new cnc-milling machine...

Thanks to all for the help being provided!!!

The machine is a Windows 10 based PC.

@V3Digitimes I guess I have to get used to using the ALT0 numerical keyboard input for these characters though I consider this to be a misfeature in the script editor.

bringho said:

Sorry for not beeing around since I put out the question, I've been busy building a fundament for my new cnc-milling machine...

@V3Digitimes I guess I have to get used to using the ALT0 numerical keyboard input for these characters though I consider this to be a misfeature in the script editor.

It's a misfeature of not having a US keyboard I think. Many characters that you can type normally US kbds requires special key combos on non-US keyboads. There is really nothing the script editor can do about it, it will put the character you type, but you need to type it.

I've been trying this with the on-Screen Keyboard (osk) with Win7 as I am sure I have done it before on a laptop without a numeric keypad, but can find no way of telling the Alt to 'lock down' whilst typing more than one extra character!  I am sure I had done it at some time!

Totte said:
    bringho said:

It's a misfeature of not having a US keyboard I think. Many characters that you can type normally US kbds requires special key combos on non-US keyboads. There is really nothing the script editor can do about it, it will put the character you type, but you need to type it.

How strange that a number of programming centric applications have no problem what so ever with any language keyboard?!?

This is just another case of of ignorance from the creators of the software.

• bringho said:
    Totte said:
    bringho said:

How strange that a number of programming centric applications have no problem what so ever with any language keyboard?!?

What do you expect them to do? Switch your keyboard layout behind the scenes? I don't think that would be a popular idea, and if you want to try it you should; be able to do it in your system settings.

bringho said:
    Totte said:
    bringho said:

Could be a Qt issue, but as I said I've run notepad++ over rremote access from a Windows under VMWare on OS X to a Windows  machine which never works with any special keys but it works if I run the Notepad++ locally on the VMWare partition, so Windows and keyboards is strange. 

What do you expect them to do? Switch your keyboard layout behind the scenes? I don't think that would be a popular idea, and if you want to try it you should; be able to do it in your system settings.

I don't know enough about the details of the possible ways to get keyboard input from the (different) OS's to propose a solution.

It's not impossible that it is a misfeature of the tool used to develop for different operating systems as some keys work perfectly with the AltGR button and others don't while all characters seem to be treated equally when using the ALT+character index on the numeric keypad.

It's probably not intentional ignorance but either an unknown problem or something deemed low priority.