Create conforming Clothes in Carrara

Hello Everyone, I realize this question has been asked many times so I am hoping someone can lead me to the source. I would like to create my own conforming clothes using Carrara. I don't need to create everything, just a few common items for multiple use. Like a robe, gloves ect.

Comments

• evilproducerevilproducer Posts: 9,040
    edited July 2018

Cross posted in wrong thread. Nothing to see here. We now return you to your regular thread, already in progress. blush

Post edited by evilproducer on
  • 3DAGE3DAGE Posts: 3,311

VWD cloth and hair (plugin for carrara)  can allow you to simulate clothing on an animated figure,.

for things like dresses . Robes,. VWD will give you better results than conforming to the underlying skeleton.

to make conforming clothes,. you'd use the same skeleton as the figure,. ,. once you've attached the Bones to the clothing model,. you should have an option to "Fit to" where you can select the main figure.

For things like gloves (tight fitting) it's probably easier to create a texture map to create the illusion of gloves,.

• EldritchCellarEldritchCellar Posts: 96
    edited July 2018
    Is 'fit to' a feature only available in 8.5? For example; if I rig an original figure in Carrara and create clothing containing that figure's skeleton (or relevant portion) will the 'fit to' option be available? Or even the standard 'conform to' operation? I'm working in 8.1 pro and predict I'll eventually need to create some conformers for a Carrara native figure and I'm not sure how Carrara handles non studio/poser conforming clothing. I was just going to blindly experiment (I've created conforming items for Poser in the past) but seeing this thread topic piqued my interest on the subject...
    Post edited by EldritchCellar on
  • DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,079

For custom figures, I have not had any luck using "fit to" in C8.5.  However, I have had better luck applying the same NLA clip to both figures.

Start here and follow the next couple of posts.  https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/comment/3255246/#Comment_3255246

Hopefully, there is a better way that I forgot to check a box or something, but if not, the above has been an OK workaround.

You can also attach more than one mesh to the same skeleton, so you can attach the clothes and the figure to the same rig.  Weightmapping still and issue.

• Thanks Diomede.

It's not a part of 8.5 it's in C6 C7 C8.

As long as you've made the "Model and Bones" into an Animation group,. you should have an option in the right hand panel to "Fit to".

note that "fit to" or Conforming, only works with the same skeletal base,.

so,. you can create a figure,. copy the bones and attach them to a dress or other clothing,.. and those items can be conformed to the original figure.

You can't conform your stuff to Victoria or genesis or some other figure

"Fit to" appears as an option, but it does not work for my custom figures.  I could be doing something wrong.  However, I am using the same skeleton.

Start here and follow the next couple of posts.  https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/comment/3255246/#Comment_3255246

• MerKhrysMerKhrys Posts: 89

For the rigging I use daz studio's transfer utiliity.

I make the item in Carrara, export it in obj format, load it in studio and load the model, use the transfer utility (menu Edit/Figure) and then save the result as a scene subset in duf format and import it back in Carrara.

HI Diomede:)

I'm not sure what's up,. but it's working for me,.

i did this little simple test,. making a simple cubic "thing" (not even a figure) :) and then duplicated/edited it to make a shirt thing,.

attached the models to the bones,. ( i also deleted a few bones from the shirt figure) made those into animation groups,. renamed them slightly to avoid confusion,.

used Fit to option on the shirt to conform it to the main figure thing.

select a bone in the main figure and rotate,. the shirt follows the movements

maybe i could take a look at your file and try to see what's going on.

can you try this wee test scene  and see if it's working for you.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/rsf315qatwvq1o1/fit to test.car?dl=0

figfit test.jpg
    1649 x 1012 - 862K

@3DAGE - thanks for the test file. Your test file works for me.  So I've done a few additional tests of my own.  

I think where I have gone wrong is in creating a regular group for the unattached mesh and bone skeleton and saving that before putting that regular group within a further animation group for ataching the skeleton.  I do that to make it easier to save and experiment before actually creating the final animation figure.  My test of just immediately attaching the skeleton to the mesh and then creating an animation group worked (a little problm with duplicate with symmetry in the bones, but I'm sure that is a matter of joint rotations).  Now, the "fit to" function causes the second figure to follow the first as intended (again, except for the duplicated with symmetry bones, which has an easy fix, I think).

I will have to go back and do the rigs for my custom figures over again.  sad

But, I will have much better functionality.

Once again, Thank you Andy!

hh01 testbod2 duplicate skeleton and mesh delte unneeded bones and mesh resize for b.JPG
    1906 x 1007 - 187K
    hh02 testbod fit to works.JPG
    1575 x 934 - 171K

No problem Diomede :) always glad to help if i can.

i don't normally use symmetry for the bones,  I just draw them in,. it takes less time than fixing the symmetry issues.

anyway,. glad you got it working

Andy :)

Hmmm, abandon symmetry?  Have to ruminate on that one.  In any case, thanks again.