FaceGen: Aspect Ratio 1 & Perfecting Faces in Daz

N-RArtsN-RArts Posts: 1,436
edited July 2018 in The Commons

Hi.

I've stopped using FaceGen for the moment because of a few things that I'm struggling with. But if I can get some answers, I can get back to it.

1. Aspect Ratio 1.

As you know Genesis 8 was added to the update of FaceGen. On the Genesis 8 Export tab it has this in the part where you assign colour maps:

Select the base color maps for each of the body parts below.
They must be in the G8 Base Male UV layout with aspect ratio 1

A) What is aspect ratio 1? 

B) How do you know if the map conforms to aspect ratio one?

I have tried saving maps for Genesis 8 in FaceGen. But I get a face/head map within a face/head map (I've attached an example).

2. Perfecting Faces in Daz.

So, I've been making the base for the faces in FaceGen, and them refining them with the morphs in Daz. 

I'm not sure how to get this to make sense but, is there anyway I can over-write that morph that I created in FaceGen for the base, to include all of the morphs that I've used to refine it (so they're all unnder one head morph)? 

Thank you for any help.

XNA Nite_face.jpg
4096 x 4096 - 3M
Post edited by N-RArts on

Comments

• Seven193Seven193 Posts: 1,064
    edited August 2018

It's probably saying it only accepts square textures, like 4096 x 4096.

Post edited by Seven193 on
  • outrider42outrider42 Posts: 3,679

Yes, the aspect ratio means the textures must be 1:1, which is square. So they can be 2000 by 2000 or 3000 by 3000 and so on. The general standard today is 4096 by 4096. Most Daz textures should be in that format. But you can right click a texture to see what it is, or sometimes just hovering you mouse over the texture will show it. The other requirement is they must match the Genesis base UV. For Genesis 8, all Daz3D characters use the base G8 UV. I point this out because Genesis 2 and 3 have numerous characters that have their own slightly different UV maps from the base. It so happens that Genesis 8 use the same UV that Genesis 3 does, but they must be BASE Genesis 3. Not Victoria 7 or Aiko 7, they use their own UV.

The texture you posted is not from a Genesis 8 base texture, and that is why it doesn't work. I see what you are trying to do, and that will not work.  It has to be a texture set that is based on Genesis 8 (or Genesis 3.) My suggestion would be to redo this in Facegen with the default textures first. Beyond that, you can pick a Genesis 3 or 8 resource that most closely matches the tone of the character you are trying to recreate.

For the second question, if I understand what you are asking, the answer is no. Facegen can only export, it cannot import anything you did from Daz.

• OdaaOdaa Posts: 1,548
    N_R Arts said:

Hi.

I've stopped using FaceGen for the moment because of a few things that I'm struggling with. But if I can get some answers, I can get back to it.

1. Aspect Ratio 1.

As you know Genesis 8 was added to the update of FaceGen. On the Genesis 8 Export tab it has this in the part where you assign colour maps:

Select the base color maps for each of the body parts below.
    They must be in the G8 Base Male UV layout with aspect ratio 1

A) What is aspect ratio 1? 

B) How do you know if the map conforms to aspect ratio one?

I have tried saving maps for Genesis 8 in FaceGen. But I get a face/head map within a face/head map (I've attached an example).

2. Perfecting Faces in Daz.

So, I've been making the base for the faces in FaceGen, and them refining them with the morphs in Daz. 

I'm not sure how to get this to make sense but, is there anyway I can over-write that morph that I created in FaceGen for the base, to include all of the morphs that I've used to refine it (so they're all unnder one head morph)? 

Thank you for any help.

You can export the final version of the face as an obj, reload it as a morph using Morph Loader, and then save it as a morph asset. If you named it the same thing as the Facegen version, and used the same folder as the facegen version, you could thereby overwrite the original. Depending on what morph dials you were using to refine the Facegen results, you might not be permitted to share your morph dial as part of a free or paid item. (Dogz's 200 Morphs packs and Thorne's morph packs come with merchant resource permissions, but many other morph packages do not).

• N-RArtsN-RArts Posts: 1,436

Thank you for your replies. smiley 

I'm sorry if I've confused anyone. I (sometimes) have difficulty with explaining things.

I thought I would try and resize the face map in a image editing program, then import/export it through FaceGen for use in Daz. But, I still got the same result. So, I'm using the Genesis 3 maps on Genesis 8, along with an item from the store, Ultimate Iray Skin Manager. 

Thanks for explaining the aspect ratio... thing.

Odaa said:

You can export the final version of the face as an obj, reload it as a morph using Morph Loader, and then save it as a morph asset. If you named it the same thing as the Facegen version, and used the same folder as the facegen version, you could thereby overwrite the original. Depending on what morph dials you were using to refine the Facegen results, you might not be permitted to share your morph dial as part of a free or paid item. (Dogz's 200 Morphs packs and Thorne's morph packs come with merchant resource permissions, but many other morph packages do not).

The only morphs I use are the Face morphs, Body Morphs and Expressions that go with the Genesis ? Female/Male figures.

The reason why I've been taking so long to reply to this thread, is because Daz and I don't get on when it comes to creating morphs. So, I've been saving characters as presets. The characters that I've been trying to save as morphs, are for my own use (for now, at least). Hopefully, I'll be able to get the morph problem solve at some point in the future :)

Thank you for the help and the replies heart

• outrider42outrider42 Posts: 3,679

You can download the templates for the Genesis figure you want and use them as a guide. Like for G8, go to the Genesis 8 Starter Essentials, you will find the templates for males and females. These are the UV map guidelines. You can open an editor and superimpose this over your custom texture map (perhaps 25-40% opacity, whatever as long as you can see the lines). If the features do not line up, then the texture will not look correct in Daz. It MUST line up perfectly with the UV template. If you are skilled enough, you may be able to move them around as needed. Otherwise you need to use textures that properly match the base UV of the Genesis figure you use. You could also use a base Genesis texture and blend the features of the skin you are wanting into it. If you do this, keep in mind you cannot share are sell such textures without permission from the person who originally created them.