Products that consume huge computer space

I just bought a product from DAZ that would totaly use all my disc space on C: drive. Is there any possibility 
to move folders to the D:drive and that connect them with DAZ studio? I have like 567 GB free space there
and only 14 GB on the C: Drive

Grateful for any directions to this problem

Comments

• SimonJMSimonJM Posts: 5,945

You cxan have many contnet libraries - you just need to be sure to reference them via Edit> Prefrences (or press F2), Content tab, then Content Directory Manger button.

• You also need to set DIM, if you are using that, to install to the new location - click the gear icon at top-right, go to the Installation tab, click + to add a new location, and in the dialogue click the ... button to add the folder; once the folders is named and added use the Current button at the bottom of the Installation tab to tell DIM to use it.

Rob has a couple of sample scripts, to tell DIM to use the DS folders
    http://docs.daz3d.com/doku.php/public/software/dazstudio/4/referenceguide/scripting/api_reference/samples/file_io/install_manager_config/start
    or to tell DS to add the DIM folder
    http://docs.daz3d.com/doku.php/public/software/dazstudio/4/referenceguide/scripting/api_reference/samples/file_io/install_manager_config_import/start
    just download whichever you want to use, then drag it into the DS viewport to run it.

• My 3D SpinMy 3D Spin Posts: 600

I looked at the  Edit> Prefrences (or press F2), Content tab, then Content Directory Manger button. But how do you direct the content
    to your folder in D: Drive. I saw i could add new but what do i write and make sure it installs there and not in C: Drive

• BeeMKayBeeMKay Posts: 6,991
    edited July 2018

If you click on the actual folder name, it will give you the option to Edit. That is the preferable way.

Make sure you also change the folder name in Poser Format, for all that older content.

For downloading through DIM, you can either use the script, or change the setting manually in the DIM preferences (can't make a screenshot of that at the moment, please let me know if you need one.).

CMedit.JPG
    518 x 624 - 60K
    Post edited by BeeMKay on
    edited July 2018
    BeeMKay said:

If you click on the actual folder name, it will give you the option to Edit. That is the preferable way.

Make sure you also change the folder name in Poser Format, for all that older content.

For downloading through DIM, you can either use the script, or change the setting manually in the DIM preferences (can't make a screenshot of that at the moment, please let me know if you need one.).

Ok i can edit that path. What will happen to all the content i have that used the original path. Will it still pe present in DAZ studio
    and so any new content or product i add will go to the new library!?

I tried changing the setting in DIM and when i started downloading i noticed it downloaded to my C: Drive instead of
    to the D:drive that i had entered as an alternate path!?

Post edited by Richard Haseltine on
  • BeeMKayBeeMKay Posts: 6,991
    edited July 2018

What are you doing with the already installed content? just move it to the other drive? Reinstall it?

As for Dim, have you made sure that you have selected the new installation path as "Current"?

DimInstall.JPG
    540 x 518 - 50K
    Post edited by BeeMKay on
  • You will need to move or uninstall/reisntall the content - DS will cope with moving, DIM will for the most part (if, in the Installation tab of preferences, you tell it to install to the current directory not the original install location) but you may have occasional issues when an update removes or renames a file.

Make sure that you have set DIM to use the new path - you can do that with the Current option in the Isntallation tab of preferecnes, or you can click the details check-box in the main interface and change the path there.

I have several scenes i am working with or saved. If i move content the path for does scenes will be lost, right!? 

I was more thinking of having the old content left as it is. 1361 items in C: Drive and also have a folder in D:Drive for large
    product files i buy in the future. Will that work if i use DIM? How will my folder in D: Drive then appear in DAZ Studio
    Content Library?

• I have several scenes i am working with or saved. If i move content the path for does scenes will be lost, right!? 

Content in mapped directories (the folders DS has been told to use as content directories) is refrenced by relative paths - just the location of the file inside the content directory - so moving it to another content directory (and not adding any extra sub-folders) will not cause a problem. The same is true of the Content Management System database. Only DIM stores absolute paths (in the .dsx file for the product in the manifests folder).

I was more thinking of having the old content left as it is. 1361 items in C: Drive and also have a folder in D:Drive for large
    product files i buy in the future. Will that work if i use DIM? How will my folder in D: Drive then appear in DAZ Studio
    Content Library?

You can have multiple content directoies - in fact you probably do, since DS sets up both the My Library and the my Daz 3D Library in the first place. You can switch between them by chcecking the Detaisl box in DIM and selecting the one to install to, and in DS each will appear as an entry under the Daz Studfio Formats/Poser Formats headings in the Content Library.

I have several scenes i am working with or saved. If i move content the path for does scenes will be lost, right!? 

Content in mapped directories (the folders DS has been told to use as content directories) is refrenced by relative paths - just the location of the file inside the content directory - so moving it to another content directory (and not adding any extra sub-folders) will not cause a problem. The same is true of the Content Management System database. Only DIM stores absolute paths (in the .dsx file for the product in the manifests folder).

Content Library?

You can have multiple content directoies - in fact you probably do, since DS sets up both the My Library and the my Daz 3D Library in the first place. You can switch between them by chcecking the Detaisl box in DIM and selecting the one to install to, and in DS each will appear as an entry under the Daz Studfio Formats/Poser Formats headings in the Content Library.

Ok. Thank you for your  help. I think i can work it out now!