How can I create a separate UV map for custom surface zones created with the Polygon Group Editor To

linvanchenelinvanchene Posts: 1,346
edited December 1969 in New Users

So far I have figured out how to create custom surface zones with the Polygon Group Editor Tool.

Now I have those extra surface zones showing up in the Surfaces Tab.

So far I only used custom surface zones to assign shaders.

Now I would also like to create a high quality 4000x4000 texture just for that surface zone.

For that I would like to make a new separate UV map just for the custom Surface zones I created.

Is there some quick way of doing that in DS?

Comments

• JaderailJaderail Posts: 0
    edited July 2013

Let me Load one I have with custom Zones and I'll check to see if they Hit the UV or not.

EDIT: I'm not seeing a easy way but that does not mean It's not do able. I've yet to learn half the tools we now have.

Post edited by Jaderail on
  • Herald of FireHerald of Fire Posts: 3,504
    edited December 1969

The UV's do not change when creating new material zones, so you'll be using the original UV map. In order to assign different UV's to that face you would need to remap the entire model and then use a separate texture map for the area you wanted to change. The alternative is to use a different texture, but only map the area of the texture map which you want changed. The problem with the second method is that it will be significantly harder to make it the resolution you want, since the actual surface area will depend on the UV maps, and the texture would need to be scaled up accordingly.

A simple 4096x texture might turn into a 16,384 texture, or perhaps even bigger, just to ensure the surface area has the texture size you want.

• linvanchenelinvanchene Posts: 1,346
    edited December 1969

Thank you both.

If there was just a way to display DS material zones in Zbrush after using GoZ there would be a quick way to deal with this.

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 97,119
    edited December 1969

GoZ doesn't pass any grouping to ZBrush - which is annoying. I can't recall if I made a feature request on this or not, butt hat shouldn't stop you from doing so if you want. In the emantime, you can auto-group from UVs which will work for most areas (but it assigns each tooth and each layer of the eyelashes its own group, since they are in separate islands of uvs, and each limb gets it's own group with the nails in separate groups)

• jestmartjestmart Posts: 4,449
    edited December 1969

It can be done with UV Mapper Classic