Maybe it's time to get my feet wet again?

The last time I gained your wonderful attention I bemoaned the fact that my 3TB DAZ3D main drive had died. In addition I suffer from some unknown ailment that pretty much cripples my left bicep/arm, whatever. 

I took a short break and got totally smashed for a few days. I'll likely sober up tomorrow. What is the next step. It's hard replacing hard drives. By the time you want to replace one, larger ones are on sale, cheaper. I was using a 3TB hard drive for DAZ3D and a 3TB hard drive for a clone backup. I also have two 2TB hard drives for my Mac Mini, which sometimes gets used for multimedia. When I had my DAZ stuff on the 3TB hard drive, I had about 2TB free. Looks like the "best 2TB" hard drive can become my new DAZ3D drive, and the older 2TB hard drive can be the clone backup.

Some recent family-related events have inspired me to think maybe I can actually put together a semi-humorous series of cartoons to at least vent my emotions a bit. Maybe it's time to give the Mac Mini another retirement and bring the older 2TB hard drives over to the 27" iMac for DAZ3D duty?

Comments

• IceDragonArtIceDragonArt Posts: 12,548

I use an external 4TB external drive for both my laptop and my pc (two separate ones, they are similiar but not entirely the same) .  Despite the ridiculous amount of content I have, I still have plenty of room.  And I would love ot see what you come up with cartoon wise.  I have zero desire to do toons myself but I do love it when others do them. 

• Ron KnightsRon Knights Posts: 1,733

I had temporarily moved my DAZ files over to the 3TB hard drive that handles my other data. I need to continually monitor the data drive. I use Family Tree Maker to work with my Genealogy (Family Tree) data. I make plenty of backups, and run out of room fast! My cartoons, and all my DAZ artwork is somewhat confused and or primitive. I've been doing this for around 18 years, and feel constantly confused.

I've spent a fair amount of time organizing because it drives me insane to not be able to find stuff.  Its a bit of a pain at first until its all done but once its caught up its not too bad.

icedragonart yeah, I know that feeling. I started installing DAZ stuff manually, almost from the beginning. I've just finished copying my DAZ stuff off the 3TB Data hard drive, and onto a 2TB hard drive. It's great to have more room for my Genealogy data on the Data Drive!

I've just gone over and rearranged just about everything in my various DAZ install folders. I have them divided into categories, such as Animals, People, Scenes etc. I cheated here. I let DIM do the install first. Then I moved everything where I could find it. Eventually I want to go and rename all the items that have "long names." I don't know why they want to "Write a book" in such as small space as a thumbnail description.

I havce Dim install everything and then create my own custom categories, which also allows me to shorten names etc.  Otherwise I would never find all of my stfff lol.

I've had a love hate relationship with categories. In the end, I decided, once again, to dump that whole idea. I move the actual "facing" items to where I can easily find them. Yeah, I leave all the "support" files such as textures and geometries where they were. The last time I did all the categories, the hard drive crashed. I don't want to go through that again.