Do Hidden Objects Impact IRAY Render Times

Do objects that I have hidden in the scene tab impact render times?  I am not asking about objects outside of the camera view. 

I have a room I am using for different renders.  I have a hidden G8 Figure and some furniture that is used in one render and not others, so I hid them.

I am NOT hiding all the furniture outside of the camera view because I like complete lighting effect I have.  I am only hiding the items tht are not part of the current render. At some point, I may want all of the objects and second firgure in the room, so I kept the scene file together.  Before I break it into two different files and delete all the hidden stuff, I thought I would ask here. I am rendering at 4K by 4k with two mesh lights and one spot. It seems slower than ususal. 

Will deleting the hidden objects improve render speed?  And will deleting hidden objects reduce Video Card Memory consumption?  Thanks!

Comments

• glaseyeglaseye Posts: 1,305

Best way to find out, make some test renders: with selected objects hidden: and with those objects removed. If you're on a windows/pc system, you can use GPU-Z to monitor your VRAM use...

https://www.techpowerup.com/gpuz/

• Hidden objects, or objects with Visible in Render set to Off (in the Parameters pane) even if they show in the preview, are not sent to the render engine at all.

• Hidden objects, or objects with Visible in Render set to Off (in the Parameters pane) even if they show in the preview, are not sent to the render engine at all.

Wow, I've been all wrong about this. I always thought that even if you hid something, with iray the computations still took the objects into account and thereby could make the render take longer. So I've been deleting stuff instead of just hiding it. Thanks for information Richard!

Wow, I've been all wrong about this. I always thought that even if you hid something, with iray the computations still took the objects into account and thereby could make the render take longer. So I've been deleting stuff instead of just hiding it. Thanks for information Richard!

Hiding at the object level saves resources, it's making things fully transparent (but still "visible") that doesn't

• dlm4001dlm4001 Posts: 190

Thanks for all the good info. I verified by rendersing wiht the extra stuff deleted, and with it hidden.  No real change in render time.  

• AbnerKAbnerK Posts: 718
    edited August 2018

Post edited by AbnerK on