Characters adjusting dforce clothing

First of all, dforce is fantastic. It solves a lot of realism problems I’d been having with regular clothing and it works faster than most other cloth simulations I’ve tried. That said, I have a question.

I’m trying to use dforce in to let my characters adjust their clothing in animations. Examples of this might include a character lifting his shirt a little to reveal a belt, a character pushing her hair (with force applied) off her shoulder, sliding a clothing strap off her shoulder, or a character using his hands to spread his jacket open. But I’m having quite a number of problems with this.

My first instinct was to use the character’s hands, but I think the geometry on the hands is so small that it’s constantly getting stuck to the clothing and causing weird stretching issues. So then I turned off the hand visibility in the simulation and tried using/creating morphs to adjust the clothing and just letting the hand follow along. This doesn’t seem to work since morphs don’t appear to apply in deformed animations (they apply at the beginning, but keyframing them seems to do nothing). So next I created a cube to try using that as a stand in for the character’s hand. This caused the same sticky issue even though the cube is much larger than the small geo of the fingers.

So now I’m at a loss. Any ideas would be appreciated. Thanks 

Comments

• I would try a primitive, perhaps experiment with the resolution and surface settings. You don't necessarily have to remove the primitive when done, just set it to not be visible in render.

• SadRobotSadRobot Posts: 116

Thanks for the reply. Yeah, I was using a cube, but it seemed to cause the same sitcking/stretching issue. I'll have to give it another try, though. Could have been a weird one-time glitch, I guess.

I should also say that I tried using wind, but it seems like there is no way to control a start point on that (IE, it fills the scene and can't start from a particular point behind which there is no wind).

• Hmm, a wind node should produce a constrained cylinder (or cone) of effect, I thought.