Comments

• tkdroberttkdrobert Posts: 3,534

Iray HDRI Space

Star Wars: Resist by tkdrobert

• kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,678

...love it.

• just redoing an older scene with new lighting and props

This is great!  I love Luke's flight suit...and the fact that I can tell it's Luke!  Nice job.

• FSMCDesignsFSMCDesigns Posts: 12,631
    olympos said:

just redoing an older scene with new lighting and props

This is great!  I love Luke's flight suit...and the fact that I can tell it's Luke!  Nice job.

Thanks olympos! It helps when you are using a model from the game and not a Daz figure, LOL

edited December 2017

Happy Holidays (2017) by tkdrobert

Post edited by Chohole on
    edited December 2017

Now where are those droids???

stormtroppersdesert.jpg
    1529 x 870 - 1M
    Post edited by Chohole on

Nice one Tkdrobert! Merry Xmas!

Awesome.  I can’t find original stormtrooper armor that good.

• DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,086
    edited December 2017

Don't feed them after midnight.

cute bird post to forum.jpg
    800 x 600 - 375K
    Post edited by Diomede on
  • Love! :) We must create art for our Porg overlords... they'll need to be welcomed when they take over the planet.;)

...why do we still have ridiculous CG characters? I thought they got the got over that with Jar Jar.

• DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,086
    edited December 2017

I have offered the fur-clad porg figure as a freebie. Limited to fanart and similar noncommercial use, or face the wrath of Disney. It is rigged in Carrara.

https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/220291/pogs-fanart-cute-bird-with-dynamic-fur-rigged-in-carrara

Post edited by Diomede on
  • ebergerlyebergerly Posts: 3,255

As someone who can almost recall being so excited when the very first Star Wars came out in the 70's, I gotta say over the years I've pretty much lost any interest in seeing another Star Wars. They're pretty much the same story repeated over and over and over. Along with terrible acting and dialogue. And when they decided to use Hayden Christensen (they actually sorted thru like 2000 applicants before deciding on him ????) and Jar Jar, I pretty much gave up completely. 

So a few days ago I was watching a Blender tutorial channel and pressed the wrong place on my screen and started up a tutorial on modelling the Star Wars fighter-thingy with those solar panel-looking things. And the guy took maybe an hour and a half making something I thought was much simpler. So I figured I'd try modelling it myself, and made the solar panel-things by just squishing a 6-sided UV sphere, and beveling the edges to make the struts. But it took the tutorial guy maybe 45 minutes doing the same thing manually in painful detail. 

So I started texturing it, but lost interest, and decided to do a render, and now I'm off on a tangent figuring the best way to do a motion blur on it. So here's probably my first and last Star Wars render.  smiley

StarWars005.png
    1920 x 1029 - 2M
    kyoto kid said:

...why do we still have ridiculous CG characters? I thought they got the got over that with Jar Jar.

CG is not going away.  Somethings just can't be done with practical effects.  My daughters absolutely loved the Porgs and they thought Jar Jar was funny, so you have to remember it's not all about us.  It's about the new generation.  Honestly I never understood all the CG hate.  When it's done well, it's awesome.  Daz art comes from and uses that technology.  That being said, not a big Jar Jar fan.

• tkdrobert said:
    kyoto kid said:

CG is not going away.  Somethings just can't be done with practical effects.  My daughters absolutely loved the Porgs and they thought Jar Jar was funny, so you have to remember it's not all about us.  It's about the new generation.  Honestly I never understood all the CG hate.  When it's done well, it's awesome.  Daz art comes from and uses that technology.  That being said, not a big Jar Jar fan.

I liked the porgs, they were based off the puffins that flock to that island for real. And they didn't save the day by clumsily beating professional armies to death, so that's a win for Star Wars in my book.

...when I am at the cinema (rarely these days because it simply costs too bloody much just to walk in the door) and see previews of big action blockbusters, the CGI often sticks out like the proverbial sore thumb to me. It is fine when the entire film is CG (like Pixar) but mixed with live action it just doesn't seem to always work. 

The scene in Empire, where Luke is heading towards his X-Wing after the battle on Hoth and the Millennium Falcon goes streaking in the background on it's departure looked real.  That film was done with physical models.  Personally, I didn't much care for the re-issues of the first (middle) three that added digital effects and scenes in (the digital Jabba added to New Hope looked smaller and less slimy than the puppet version if him did in Return, and the lighting on him didn't mesh correctly with the live action component making him appear to be "added in" like an animated cartoon character).

kyoto kid said:

...when I am at the cinema (rarely these days because it simply costs too bloody much just to walk in the door) and see previews of big action blockbusters, the CGI often sticks out like the proverbial sore thumb to me. It is fine when the entire film is CG (like Pixar) but mixed with live action it just doesn't seem to always work. 

The scene in Empire, where Luke is heading towards his X-Wing after the battle on Hoth and the Millennium Falcon goes streaking in the background on it's departure looked real.  That film was done with physical models.  Personally, I didn't much care for the re-issues of the first (middle) three that added digital effects and scenes in (the digital Jabba added to New Hope looked smaller and less slimy than the puppet version if him did in Return, and the lighting on him didn't mesh correctly with the live action component making him appear to be "added in" like an animated cartoon character).

Well we argee on 1 thing and that is movies have become too expensive.  When I was young, I went to the movies every month.  Not anymore.

...yeah, I remember when 3$ was a lot. That's now seniors' admission at the second run cinema I used to go to in my old neighbourhood.

You'll laugh, you'll cry, you'll kiss three bucks goodbye.
    --Hardware Wars

kyoto kid said:

...yeah, I remember when 3$ was a lot. That's now seniors' admission at the second run cinema I used to go to in my old neighbourhood.

You'll laugh, you'll cry, you'll kiss three bucks goodbye.
    --Hardware Wars

You don't want to know how much I spent on Blade Runner 2049 in the IMAX theater.  Never doing that again.

...last Imax screening I went to was the previous Star Wars.  Fortunately it was a birthday present but I think the tickets were something like 16$ - 18$

tkdrobert said:
    kyoto kid said:

Well we argee on 1 thing and that is movies have become too expensive.  When I was young, I went to the movies every month.  Not anymore.

the cost foesn't bother me as much as crowded theatres these days. My GF works 9-5, M-F, whereas i work odd hours and always weekends, so I usually hit the first showing on a weekday where it is cheaper and no one in the theatre, LOL.We are both gonna see the new SW right after Xmas since we'll both be off and it'll be a weekday.

tkdrobert said:
    kyoto kid said:

the cost foesn't bother me as much as crowded theatres these days. My GF works 9-5, M-F, whereas i work odd hours and always weekends, so I usually hit the first showing on a weekday where it is cheaper and no one in the theatre, LOL.We are both gonna see the new SW right after Xmas since we'll both be off and it'll be a weekday.

People using there cell phones has been a problem for me.  I've been lucky that no brawls nor shootings have broken out because of me telling people to put their phones away.

tkdrobert said:
    tkdrobert said:
    kyoto kid said:

People using there cell phones has been a problem for me.  I've been lucky that no brawls nor shootings have broken out because of me telling people to put their phones away.

Same here. I had a guy kicked out of the theatre a few months back because he wouldn't stop talking on his phone during the show.They should install cell jammers in all theatres since too many people have become too attached to those things and rude when using them. I'd love to see a screen at the beginning of the show saying 'Your cellphones have been temporarily disabled for your viewing pleasure and others. Please enjoy the show" LOL

• Cell jammers are illegal for very good reason.

Cell jammers are illegal for very good reason.

Yeah, you can't do that for emergency reasons.  An active shooter could do a lot of damage and no one could call for help.

• harold_withersharold_withers Posts: 281
    edited December 2017

Nice! Loving this shot. Great work.

My one crit of this work is that your E-11 Blaster is scaled too big, those things are smaller than you'd think (I know, we were tearing our hair out while doing a Star Wars game mod trying to ensure that that damned blaster was the right scale, trickier than you first suspect). Other than that minor detail? Awesome work.

Post edited by harold_withers on
  • just redoing an older scene with new lighting and props

Excellent work again, loving your stuff on here FSMC.

• ebergerlyebergerly Posts: 3,255
    tkdrobert said:

Cell jammers are illegal for very good reason.

Yeah, you can't do that for emergency reasons.  An active shooter could do a lot of damage and no one could call for help.

Some of us might remember the days when nobody had a cellphone because, well, they didn't exist. And there was no such thing as an active shooter. And you could spend an entire day away from any sort of telephone-type device and survive. If there was an emergency someone would run to the closest home or store and someone would call the police. But now things are different. People, for some reason, can't survive without their cellphones. And the active shooter paranoia has everyone believing someone is going to start shooting wherever you go. 

Personally, I think cellphones should be left at home. Yes, I said it. When you go to work, leave them at home. You're there to work, not text. Same with movie theaters. And everywhere else. Get your head out of your phone and interact with the world around you. You really don't need them. Yes, I said that too. You don't need a cellphone. They are only there for entertainment. I know we like to come up with all these justifications, but at the end of the day it's entertainment. 

BTW, does anyone remember the first cellphones? Those really big ones that looked like one of those big WWII military radios with the big antenna? We should have kept that design, and that would encourage people to leave them at home so they don't lug around those monstrous things.  

edited December 2017

...well I need to take mine with me when I go out as that's how I pay my fare on the bus and tram.  Very simple, I can order tickets or  a pass and pay for them on the phone rather than go out of my way to find an outlet that sells tickets and passes or trust one of those "no arm bandit" vending machines they have at tram stations (which malfunction with some regularity). When you're older like I am, it is more than just a convenience.

Our transit system is actually doing away with paper tickets and passes next year, and personally, I don't care to carry a wad of change in my pocket every time I need to ride (the phone app is also faster as I just have to show the image of the valid ticket or pass when I board rather than stand there fishing for change and cramming money into the farebox).  They do have a "smart fare card" but that is more geared for daily commuters (as I'm retired, I don't ride everyday) and you still have to go out of your way to find an outlet to load money on it for some odd reason (at least they should let you "recharge" it from home on your computer).

I get so few calls anyway that it's not a big deal and I always turn it off when in places where it would be distrubing (I can always check voicemail later).

Post edited by kyoto kid on