Full 4 Minute Video - 48 Hour Film Contest - Houston - Carrara Animation Entry "Highway Closure"

A young woman takes a driving vacation across the country, but finds an unexpected destination.  An entry in the 2018 Houston 48 Hour Film Contest by the team "Perfect Time To Panic Productions".   The genre is Mystery, the required prop is a wrapped package, the required character is Dennis or Denise Merino - a mathematician, and the required line of dialogue is "On your mark, get set, go!"  The animation was done in Carrara using 3D elements from DAZ3D and Renderosity,

Comments

• evilproducerevilproducer Posts: 9,040

Interesting. At first I thought the editing and the scenes were a bit plodding, but as it came to the end I could see the choices making sense. Good job!

The plot kind of reminds me of a video I helped my brother with about 18 years ago called Icarus. I did the CG elements for him using a barely functioning copy of Raydream Studio 5.

• Steve KSteve K Posts: 3,191

I forgot to mention this event, for those near Houston:

Best Of Screening
    Thu, Jul 26, 2018 @ 7:00pm
    TBH Center
    333 S Jensen, Houston 77003 USA

Steve K said:

I forgot to mention this event, for those near Houston:

Best Of Screening
    Thu, Jul 26, 2018 @ 7:00pm
    TBH Center
    333 S Jensen, Houston 77003 USA

+1 yes

One new thing (for me) - I used 24 frames per second (1280x720 MPG) to reduce the render time from my previous standard of 30 FPS.  (My previous standard several years ago was also 720x480)  I got around ten seconds per frame render time, no advanced lighting, with a pretty fast machine (Core i7).  I did not see any difference, either on my computer or on the theater screen.  I suspect going lower than 24 FPS will get noticeable, but I have not tried it.  

• DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,078
    edited July 2018

Very cool.  I had no idea where it was going until I saw the road sign.  Then I saw how it all made sense.  Well done.

Post edited by Diomede on
    edited July 2018
    Steve K said:

One new thing (for me) - I used 24 frames per second (1280x720 MPG) to reduce the render time from my previous standard of 30 FPS.  (My previous standard several years ago was also 720x480)  I got around ten seconds per frame render time, no advanced lighting, with a pretty fast machine (Core i7).  I did not see any difference, either on my computer or on the theater screen.  I suspect going lower than 24 FPS will get noticeable, but I have not tried it.  

24 fps is pretty standard for theatrical films and traditional theatrical animation.

The old Hannah Barbara cartoons from the late '50s, and '60s and '70s went to around 12-15 fps. Some TV cartoons went as low as 6 to 10 fps (think Speed Racer, etc.)

Post edited by evilproducer on
    Diomede said:

Very cool.  I had no idea where it was going until I saw the road sign.  Then I saw how it all made sense.  Well done.

Thanks.  After the fact, I thought I gave too many hints, but maybe not.  There's not a lot of time for re-thinking, or re-anything.  Just decide and go.

cheeky

• Persona Non GrataPersona Non Grata Posts: 1,365
    edited March 2021

Post edited by Persona Non Grata on
    edited July 2018
    Selina said:

Great story, like everyone else I wasn't sure what I was watching till the end !

Thanks.  I'm glad to hear that, as I mentioned I was not so sure it would work.  For me (and I think everybody), the story is the hard part, especially given a genre you're not particularly ready for.  They say all golf bets are won or lost on the first tee.  I think the same goes here to some degree.  At the kickoff session, where teams draw the genre, you can see some faces drop ... sad

Post edited by Steve K on