Genesis 3 & 8 Characters - High Resolution or Base?

I won't have my all powerfull new computer i'm going to build until the fall so i'm stuck with my 10 year old PC with a nvidia 710 video card. 

when i make a character should i make is high resolution or base? is there any difference that matters?

Comments

• The default render SubD (applied when the mesh is set to High resolution) is probably not going to tax your card greatly, compared to the textures (assuming you are rendering in Iray). How much memory does your GPU have?

• 5200north5200north Posts: 249

The default render SubD (applied when the mesh is set to High resolution) is probably not going to tax your card greatly, compared to the textures (assuming you are rendering in Iray). How much memory does your GPU have?

8gb

• Then for the most part I wouldn't worry. if theya re distant figures, and a lot of them, lowering the resolution might help (but you'd want reduced textures too, for example via the Scene Optimiser script) but for most purposes the difference is not going to matter.

• I try to render with subD no less than 3 so that I can see all the fine details from HD details and morphs that I apply from various packages to my characters, unless they are not close enough to tell then its always lower res. When I do this I often remove the normal and bump maps since the actual surface is creating the detail, whereas when I use a base model, again depending on how close up, I will just crank up the normal and bump maps to taste. Cranking subD up will definately consume much more memory of your card and may make having multiple models more difficult to have in a scene if they are all high subD.