Irish dances?

I am wondering if there are any Irish dances - popular at St. Patrick's Day parties in US and Canada, including Irish step dancing but not Riverdance-style - I could acquire anywhere?

Comments

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604

are you looking for animations or what?

• nonesuch00nonesuch00 Posts: 17,929

No, there isn't and the closest you can get only amounts to 5 poses that are supposed to be a Scots Sword Dance

https://www.daz3d.com/scottish-kilts-prince-charlie-outfit

There is little similarity between Irish and Scottish dancing

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,811

MocapDancer does ones for IMVU  and Secondlife 

there are various MikuMikuDance ones around too if you are prepared to convert them, are a few ways to do so I have not had a lot of success myself 

edited June 2018
    Chohole said:

But what there is is enough for a few poses.

Post edited by nonesuch00 on
    edited June 2018
    Chohole said:

Irish dance    

Scottish dance   

Sword Dance 

Post edited by Chohole on
    edited June 2018
    Chohole said:
    Chohole said:

Irish dance    

Scottish dance   

Sword Dance 

That's why I said that either would be a good basis for a start to do the other. Watch how the motion is created by the dancer's feet and calves in the Scots Sword Dance and the Irish dance. The Scots dance in the middle, what we call, more or less, square dance, though isn't as good a start, but still similar enough. But she said she wanted Irish dance but not' what in is called in America, clogging and other varients like tap dance. Which is the style River Dance used mostly.

I guess the OP actually wants is a varient of square dancing (Scottish Dancing) then? 

Myself I don't know any other folk styles. Which is an Irish Jig? Another varient of clogging but the arms can move about,in a stylisized way, so more like the Scots Sword dance? They are pretty mesmerizing to watch how they seem to move about so effortlessly, LOL, until so notice their panting after the dance is over.

Post edited by nonesuch00 on
    edited June 2018

That's because River dance was actually often using proper Irish dance routines,  In Ireland it is just called Irish Dance.as the one I show is.   Also notice the arms and hands in Irish dancing are held tight to the body and don't move, it's all done with the feet.

The Scottish sword dance was originally a war dance.  Did you notice  that the scot doing that dancing is actually moving anti-clockwise, rather than the normal clock wise (sunwise) movements of ritual dance. Also the exaggerated pointed toes with the feet,  he/she must not touch the sword, to touch the sword is unlucky,  not a good omen just before a battle. Also the back is held very straight with shoulders back ie military stance. The dance starts of to a strathspey rhythm and then increases tempo to a jig. Even  with Reel outside the church you can see that they are dancing on their toes.

Oh and BTW,  4 of my grandaughters live in Ireland.  3 of them are more than half Irish as my eldest son married an Irish girl.  My youngest Son's daugter was asked what she would like to do as an after school activety, Irish Dance or GAA. after trying Irish dance once she settled on GAA Gaaelic football.  (It's mad)

If the OP does want something other than Irish Dance she should confirm that she needs Irish country Dance rather than Irish dance (occasionally referred to as Irish Step Dance but never as clogging,  which is something different again)

Post edited by Chohole on
    Chohole said:

That's because River dance was actually often using proper Irish dance routines,  In Ireland it is just called Irish Dance.as the one I show is.   Also notice the arms and hands in Irish dancing are held tight to the body and don't move, it's all done with the feet.

The Scottish sword dance was originally a war dance.  Did you notice  that the scot doing that dancing is actually moving anti-clockwise, rather than the normal clock wise (sunwise) movements of ritual dance. Also the exaggerated pointed toes with the feet,  he/she must not touch the sword, to touch the sword is unlucky,  not a good omen just before a battle. Also the back is held very straight with shoulders back ie military stance. The dance starts of to a strathspey rhythm and then increases tempo to a jig. Even  with Reel outside the church you can see that they are dancing on their toes.

Oh and BTW,  4 of my grandaughters live in Ireland.  3 of them are more than half Irish as my eldest son married an Irish girl.  My youngest Son's daugter was asked what she would like to do as an after school activety, Irish Dance or GAA. after trying Irish dance once she settled on GAA Gaaelic football.  (It's mad)

If the OP does want something other than Irish Dance she should confirm that she needs Irish country Dance rather than Irish dance (occasionally referred to as Irish Step Dance but never as clogging,  which is something different again)

Hmmm, clogging has changed from what I remember seeing as a kid but what I just looked up on YouTube looked to be straight up tap dancing! I always though it was straight up that style of Irish dancing where the arms are kept down at the sides.

I didn't notice the Scots Sword dance was counterclockwise I only noticed that they are dancing on their toes alot and wondering if it is hurting. 

this one is not available AFAIK but am curious if it is the sort of thing wanted?