computer keeps restarting itself when i'm rendering the environments

khung90skhung90s Posts: 62

it works fine yesterday, but today there's something suspicious hapening to my computer. I tried render the picture of group of 15 person in the background picture. i tried 10 times today but the computer restart it itself. i have no idea what happened, it looks like it needs a laptop repair. And i still have 55 GB left on my drive

IMG_1183.JPG
4032 x 3024 - 1M
IMG_1184.JPG
4032 x 3024 - 1M
Post edited by khung90s on

Comments

• Can you do a really simple render, for example adding a sphere promitive (Create>New Primitive) to an empty scene? The usualy suspicion in a case like this, with a complex scene, would be heat.

• khung90skhung90s Posts: 62

yes i can, but not for the complex scene the laptop. when i try to render the complex scene the laptop restarts itself. Sometimes i got nothing, all blank when i render the complex scene

• FishtalesFishtales Posts: 6,043

Going by the Stop Code (system thread exception not handled) you could try this. Or do a Google and read some of the other suggestions. 

Underneath the error message is nvlddmkm.sys which would suggest a video driver error.

• Guessing by the name you got a Nvidia card onboard, did you installed any new drivers?

edited June 2018

i got NNvidia Geforce 940mx from 2015, I try render it the whole screen gone blank and then gone the same bluescreen with same error, i don't know which nvidea should i install?  I have Acer Laptop Aspire E 15 model windows 10 64bit model. Is it my nvidia outdated or something? 

• frank0314frank0314 Posts: 13,380

Go to NVIDIA website and look up your card and it will show you the latest driver but I'm thinking it may be overheating.

• ebergerlyebergerly Posts: 3,255
    edited June 2018
    If you have Windows 10 go to Security and Maintenance and check the Reliability History log for the last few days. IMO its one of the best troubleshooting tools that few people know about.
    Post edited by ebergerly on
  • I had a similar problem with my last computer, using GPU-Z was also helpful in checking for overheating. 

i tried reset the whole laptop remove everything, including my personal files, but i still get the same thing

frank0314 said:

Go to NVIDIA website and look up your card and it will show you the latest driver but I'm thinking it may be overheating.

i tried install the latest drive but i got an error, i tried delete something in system 32 there's even more complication, " it saids permission from trustedinstaller, permission from system" in order to delete files in under system32

ebergerly said:
    If you have Windows 10 go to Security and Maintenance and check the Reliability History log for the last few days. IMO its one of the best troubleshooting tools that few people know about.

what is IMO?

reliability history.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 338K
  • ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604

IMO  is an acronym for In My Opinion

And these problems is too complicated it's too advanced to repair

edited June 2018

and the screen turn off by itself everytime i render for the first 9 minutes. I couldn't even turn my laptop back on, the only way i can turn it back on is, I take out the screw driver open the laptop take the battery out and put it back in. I'm sick of doing this, i've been screw open the laptop many times, the last thing I want it to do is to broke the laptop.  that's all i can do. 

• It does sound like heat causing a shutdown.

If you look in the Reliability History for the previous days you can see if there was a new driver installed from NVIDIA. I saw there was a new one yesterday that tried to install on my machine but for some reason it didn't install but just got stuck in the "preparing..." stage so I ended it. Since the log you posted shows something going on with NVIDIA I'd tend to see if you had a recent driver install, and if so try uninstalling existing drivers using DDU, then re-install. Especially since you said it was working okay (since 2015 when you got the GTX??), and suddenly it's having problems. I'd think that any heating problems would have occurred long ago if that's the case.

So yeah, anyone who does rendering should install GPU-Z so they can monitor temps on their GPU while rendering, but keep in mind that as I've mentioned before, GPU's have thermal protection to throttle the speed and crank up the fan to keep temps from causing damage. And worst case it will shut down if they get upwards of 100C, but that shouldn't happen if all the other protections are working. And of course if you aren't blocking the GPU fan with dust or something else...

edited June 2018
    ebergerly said:

If you look in the Reliability History for the previous days you can see if there was a new driver installed from NVIDIA. I saw there was a new one yesterday that tried to install on my machine but for some reason it didn't install but just got stuck in the "preparing..." stage so I ended it. Since the log you posted shows something going on with NVIDIA I'd tend to see if you had a recent driver install, and if so try uninstalling existing drivers using DDU, then re-install. Especially since you said it was working okay (since 2015 when you got the GTX??), and suddenly it's having problems. I'd think that any heating problems would have occurred long ago if that's the case.

So yeah, anyone who does rendering should install GPU-Z so they can monitor temps on their GPU while rendering, but keep in mind that as I've mentioned before, GPU's have thermal protection to throttle the speed and crank up the fan to keep temps from causing damage. And worst case it will shut down if they get upwards of 100C, but that shouldn't happen if all the other protections are working. And of course if you aren't blocking the GPU fan with dust or something else...

It does sound like heat causing a shutdown.

After I reboot it, use DDU uninstaller to uninstall the NVIDIA and then I reinstall NVIDIA, The heat is okay and Nothing overheats I check theGPU-Z, does not go above 100C for both Acer itself and NVIDIA Geforce (the most updated one). The heat is okay but it still didn't work, I got this stupid blank screen instead and it keeps on restarted by itself. Even this scene is not that complex it does the same thing. It has been too many days i tried fixing it. It went blank screen then restart it by itself within 10 minutes of rendering and still get nothing

IMG_1223.JPG
    4032 x 3024 - 1M
    IMG_1224.JPG
    4032 x 3024 - 1M

it seems impossible to fix

• LeanaLeana Posts: 11,026

100°C is actually quite high for a GPU...

Leana said:

My GPU is not 100C, its 40C-75C

• LeanaLeana Posts: 11,026
    khung90s said:
    Leana said:

My GPU is not 100C, its 40C-75C

Ok that is way more reasonable.

Faulty RAM stick maybe?

Did you find anything in Reliability History for the last few days? The way to solve problems is with facts and data. Do the basic memory tests and hard disk tests and check reliability logs. It sounds suspicilously like what I saw when my hard drive was failing.  

And if that doesn't help you might start from scratch and re-install Windows. 

• namffuaknamffuak Posts: 4,063

This is almost certainly a heat issue. Nvidia GPUs are set to throttle back if they hit 85 degrees C, but an Iray render on a laptop may cause more heat than can be dispersed after the throttle-down. Google "Nvidia gpu fan control" to get a list of add-ons that can be used to create custom fan speed curves - the default is set up for gaming and doesn't ramp up the fan(s) soon enough or to a high enough speed.

namffuak said:

This is almost certainly a heat issue. 

His GPU only hits 40C-75C, nowhere near the danger zone. It's almost certainly NOT a heat issue. 

edited June 2018

i did check the reliability history, i fixed it NVIDIA is working i have Nvidia geforce940mx with 2gb dedicated Vram, I set the nvidia performance high and power option performance at max level. But i still get this: laptop restart by itself while rendering for a few minutes, even if i cancel rendering the complex scene it still restarts itself and gave me big screen with something stuck in the middle. This is too frustrating. My GPU is at 50-70C, My core temperature is okay under 40C and Hd temperature is 40-50C

big screen.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 1M

i did check the reliability history, i fixed it NVIDIA is working i have Nvidia geforce940mx with 2gb dedicated Vram, I set the nvidia performance high and power option performance at max level. But i still get this: laptop restart by itself while rendering for a few minutes, even if i cancel rendering the complex scene it still restarts itself and gave me big screen. This is too frustrating. My GPU is at 50-70C, My core temperature is okay under 40C and Hd temperature is 40-50C

• Lord TherosLord Theros Posts: 64
    edited July 2018

Have you tried less complex scenes? or rendering in 3DL? Maybe the case that the scene you are trying to render is just too complex for your system... I'm rendering on a 1060 with 6Gbs of vram and never go past 4 or 5 characters on a scene.

Post edited by Lord Theros on