Why is my wine glass rendering black?

adoniogtsadoniogts Posts: 98

I'm rendering using 3delight.... Everything in the scene looks great except for the wine glasses... They render black with a little bit of transparency in some places...

I've tried tinkering around with all the options in the surface tab... But I can't seem to eliminate that black color....

Untitled-1.jpg
1366 x 1536 - 1017K
Post edited by adoniogts on

Comments

• MarkIsSleepyMarkIsSleepy Posts: 1,496
    edited June 2018

I could be totally wrong since I don't usually render in DAZ Studio, but it looks like you are using an Iray shader. Unless something has changed dramatically since the last time I used 3DL it does not usually have things like "glossy roughness," or "backscattering weight."

Iray will automatically try to convert 3DL shaders, but it doesnt' work the other way (AFAIK) so the renderer probably just doesn't know what to do with it. It's either making good "guesses" on the other surfaces or they have 3DL shaders on them.

Post edited by MarkIsSleepy on
  • adoniogtsadoniogts Posts: 98

That fixed it! I applied the Glass Shader to all the glass and it seems pretty good... But now the image seen thru the glass gets really distorted in a weird way... Been tinkering around with many things, especially Angle... But I can't seem to make what is on the other side of the glass seem to not distort in a weird exagerated manner... :/

Untitled-2.jpg
    1366 x 1536 - 1M
  • adoniogtsadoniogts Posts: 98

I think I found it... It was the index of refraction... It was too high... Set it to 1 and it looks great!
    Thanx for the help! :D

• MarkIsSleepyMarkIsSleepy Posts: 1,496
    adoniogts said:

I think I found it... It was the index of refraction... It was too high... Set it to 1 and it looks great!
    Thanx for the help! :D

An index of refraction of 1 is basically air; glass should realistically have an IOR around 1.5 (see here for a really extensive list if IORs: https://pixelandpoly.com/ior.html). The glass causing the distortion might just be a single plane with no thickness, which would cause the renderer to treat everything on the other side of it as if it was encased in a solid refractive substance.