OT: Nvidia Stuck with over 300k excess GPU's

Ghosty12Ghosty12 Posts: 1,981
edited June 2018 in The Commons

From 2.07 minutes in explains the situation better, but it seems that a board partner/manufacturer sent back over 300k of GPU's to Nvidia, due to it seems Nvidia's overestimation of demand from gamers and to how long the GPU cryptoming rush go on for..

From 4.15 into this video talks about what could be the reason for all of this and the possible fallout..

Post edited by Ghosty12 on

Comments

• nonesuch00nonesuch00 Posts: 17,929
    edited June 2018

Not a surprise. I've seen enough of these fake booms & busts to know they aren't worth pursuing with short term investments that chase the booms unless you're one of the people sitting at the top of the pyramid scheme that helped create the boom.

Post edited by nonesuch00 on
  • tj_1ca9500btj_1ca9500b Posts: 2,047
    edited June 2018

We've also been discussing this in another thread, starting from this point.:

https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/comment/3729076/#Comment_3729076

Among other things, the recently publicized hacks into Cryptocurrency vaults, plus a handful of governments enacting anti-Crypto policies has really hurt the Crypto craze.  It may rebound again eventually, but Crypto is in damage control mode right now.

As discussed in the other thread, this adds contest to the statement that Nvidia CEO Jensen Huang said at the end of their Computex press conference a couple of weeks back.  When asked about next gen GPUs, he said that we wouldn't be seeing new gaming CPUs for 'a long time'.  Hence, the 1180/2080 GPUs may not be showing up for a while yet.

Post edited by tj_1ca9500b on
  • Ghosty12Ghosty12 Posts: 1,981
    edited June 2018

Among other things, the recently publicized hacks into Cryptocurrency vaults, plus a handful of governments enacting anti-Crypto policies has really hurt the Crypto craze.  It may rebound again eventually, but Crypto is in damage control mode right now.

As discussed in the other thread, this adds contest to the statement that Nvidia CEO Jensen Huang said at the end of their Computex press conference a couple of weeks back.  When asked about next gen GPUs, he said that we wouldn't be seeing new gaming CPUs for 'a long time'.  Hence, the 1180/2080 GPUs may not be showing up for a while yet.

Oh lol the other thread I had started never thought to even look there, as it started to go a bit off topic in the last few pages..

No worries!  The vast majority of us here rely on Nvidia Cuda cores for our Daz Studio renders, so keeping people updated on card availability is a good thing.

• nonesuch00nonesuch00 Posts: 17,929

Shows how fat they are with profit and they know they'll be a limit to how much further they can push minor improvements to GPU capabilities.

AMD looks set to make major GPU improvements though mostly with throughput & cores.

• kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,571
    edited June 2018

...we can only hope.

It i not so much Bitcoin but other cryptocurrenceies like Ethereum and Monero that are GPU dependent.

Post edited by kyoto kid on
  • Charlie JudgeCharlie Judge Posts: 12,322

Oddly, the nVidia website lists the GTX 1080ti as "out of stock"

• Oddly, the nVidia website lists the GTX 1080ti as "out of stock"

New Egg doesn't, they ahve several 1080Ti's in stock

• davesodaveso Posts: 6,437

have the prices dropped to affordable again?

• brimstoneomegabrimstoneomega Posts: 343
    edited June 2018
    daveso said:

They are getting better. Not that I would call any 1080ti affordable, but this one is $20 over the founder's edition MSRP.

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814125989&cm_re=gtx_1080_ti-_-14-125-989-_-Product

Post edited by brimstoneomega on
  • KitsumoKitsumo Posts: 1,210

daveso said:

They are getting better. Not that I would call any 1080ti affordable, but this one is $20 over the founder's edition MSRP.

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814125989&cm_re=gtx_1080_ti-_-14-125-989-_-Product

Depending on where you live, you'd be paying NVDA around $50 in sales tax, so that one could actually be cheaper.

I'm going to go out on a limb here and guess that those 300,000 returned GPUs weren't 1080tis, at least not all of them.

• davesodaveso Posts: 6,437

that 1080ti still way above my price point, but the 1060s at Newegg are down a lot, and even 1070. 

• Just now falling back to original MSRP after 2 years on the market is rather ridiculous. I sorely need a more powerful GPU as my 970 isn't fast enough as I'd like for Iray renders (not to mention 4GB doesn't cut it for more complex scenes), but I'm not paying over $400 just for a 1070, nevermind the going prices for the 1070Ti, 1080, or 1080Ti.

• Ghosty12Ghosty12 Posts: 1,981
    edited June 2018

Added some more info in my OP on this, and it seems that all of this looks was due to trying to cash in on cryptomining.. And that this is probably why we have the delay to the 11XX series GPU's..

...well the reference version of the 1070 is 399$ at the Nvidia store. That may be the best price outside of used on eBay.

• lwaveslwaves Posts: 237

Just now falling back to original MSRP after 2 years on the market is rather ridiculous. I sorely need a more powerful GPU as my 970 isn't fast enough as I'd like for Iray renders (not to mention 4GB doesn't cut it for more complex scenes), but I'm not paying over $400 just for a 1070, nevermind the going prices for the 1070Ti, 1080, or 1080Ti.

Same situation as you with the same card.
    I also really need a new cpu and all the necessary addons that come with it as mine is really dated now, even though it still works fine and very well. All of tat pushes it well beyond what little budget I have.

• McGyverMcGyver Posts: 7,005

If these were drills, vacuums, or blenders you'd see them drop in price... But outside of some brick and mortar stores or isolated incidents, I doubt you'll see a big drop in price, or even much of a drop in price. They'll eat the loss rather than drop the price significantly.

• nicsttnicstt Posts: 11,714

I'm tempted to agree, although I'm keeping my eye on the price.

If they drop enough I'll get one, otherwise I've waited so long, I can hang on longer.

• SixDsSixDs Posts: 2,384

It is important for everyone to remember that, even though there is a tendency for many to refer to video cards as "GPU's", the GPU is technically only the main graphics processor chip, not the whole card. It is the latter that Nvidia designs and produces, not the graphics cards that use them. So, the news item refers to the return of the graphics chips to Nvidia, which were never installed in cards. As a consequence, that return of GPU's is not likely to have an effect on video card prices anytime soon, unless Nvidia were prepared to find another manufacturer who would be willing to take them and offer them at a discounted price. Whether or not that would get passed on to the consumer remains to be seen. As McGuyver suggests, logic doesn't necessarily apply.

edited June 2018

Well, they design the reference models; OEMs and Branded ones have to conform to some of the specs, but are free to alter others. Calling the whole thing a GPU or GPU card is plenty descriptive.

... Especially when you consider what the abbreviation stands for: Graphics Processing Unit.

Post edited by nicstt on

Well, looking at the 1080ti tracker, it's been almost 3 weeks since Nvidia last released some 1080tis, so we'll see how quickly people snap up this next batch. Last time they were in stock, they lasted around a day or so, compared to less than an hour a few months ago. I think we'll know soon if the market is saturated (at least at current prices).

As far as the returned GPUs, nobody seems to know exactly what model they are. 300K extra 1050s is totally different than 300K extra 1080tis. The second video suggests they were specially made mining GPUs, so 1060s equipped for 5 Gb of VRAM. Those wouldn't be much benefit for rendering. Sure they would work fine right now, but the way polygon counts are increasing...

If the price on 1080ti comes down significantly, I'd consider buying another one. If this launch goes like the 10 series did, it could be an extra year before we see a Ti model.

edited June 2018
    nicstt said:

Well, they design the reference models; OEMs and Branded ones have to conform to some of the specs, but are free to alter others. Calling the whole thing a GPU or GPU card is plenty descriptive.

... Especially when you consider what the abbreviation stands for: Graphics Processing Unit.

...it's the "Kleenex™" thing.

Post edited by kyoto kid on
    edited June 2018
    kyoto kid said:
    nicstt said:

...it's the "Kleenex™" thing.

Sort of; except, that the whole thing is also a Graphics Processing Unit; even the GPU chip itself is made of separate components, albeit far more closely alligned.

Post edited by nicstt on
  • mikekmikek Posts: 192

Not a surprise. I've seen enough of these fake booms & busts to know they aren't worth pursuing with short term investments that chase the booms unless you're one of the people sitting at the top of the pyramid scheme that helped create the boom.

No bust yet. Bitcoin difficulty is estimated to go up by around 9% in this two week cycle. 9% hardware power increase in only two weeks is still the same old crazy. https://diff.cryptothis.com/
    A good chunk of the drop in gpu demand is likely related to the new asic miner hardware which outperforms gpus heavily for some previously asic resistant coins.

I'm seeing multiple 1080 Ti's on Newegg for $800 or less.

Even this water cooled EVGA hybrid!

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814487346

I'm seeing multiple 1080 Ti's on Newegg for $800 or less.

Even this water cooled EVGA hybrid!

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814487346

Yeah. And Nvidia has had the Founder's Edition in stock for a day and a half now. I guess we're sort of back to normal now. Honestly, I don't even know what a 1080 Ti sold for before all this crypto madness.