Converting files from Poser to DS

I want to convert more than 1000+ old Poser .mc6 files to .duf, since I don't use Poser anymore. But I don't have a clue where to start.  is there a utility that does this (pref free).  I can't imagine doing it by hand.

Thanks, hope someone can help! 

Comments

• Remember that DS will read only the basic material settings, not anything in the Shader Tree, so in many cases there will be little benefit in loading the files. Anything beyond diffuse, transparency, specular, and bump will be skipped - and in some cases the base values for those properties will bear no resemblance to the final version in Poser.

• sapatsapat Posts: 1,735

Remember that DS will read only the basic material settings, not anything in the Shader Tree, so in many cases there will be little benefit in loading the files. Anything beyond diffuse, transparency, specular, and bump will be skipped - and in some cases the base values for those properties will bear no resemblance to the final version in Poser.

So I don't understand.  Does that mean I'll never be able to use many of the Poser products I have in DS? I have a lot of Poser products that have .mc6 as the only option.  Not even any .pz2 files.  

• frank0314frank0314 Posts: 13,342
    edited June 2018

No, you can use them but those file type listed will need adjustment to make them look right. They will look flat brought over from Poser. A different value gets transferred over than what you see in Poser. When I was doing content for both Poser and DS when I'd transfer the Poser files to DS you had to adjust the diffuse, trans, bump, and displacement for it to look the way it did in Poser. If there were any custom shaders applied in Poser you will then have to recreate them in DS.

Post edited by frank0314 on
  • nonesuch00nonesuch00 Posts: 17,922

How come Poser morphs don't work in some of the Poser models in DAZ Studio?

• sapatsapat Posts: 1,735
    frank0314 said:

No, you can use them but those file type listed will need adjustment to make them look right. They will look flat brought over from Poser. A different value gets transferred over than what you see in Poser. When I was doing content for both Poser and DS when I'd transfer the Poser files to DS you had to adjust the diffuse, trans, bump, and displacement for it to look the way it did in Poser. If there were any custom shaders applied in Poser you will then have to recreate them in DS.

Wow, ok.  That sounds like a monumental task given the number of Poser only products I have accumulated over 10+years. sad  I might try it on an 'as needed' basis.  If I desperately want someting in particular, I'll just do that one and then save it as a .duf.

Thanks guys for your help. Wish there was an easy way.... but then that would be easy!

• How come Poser morphs don't work in some of the Poser models in DAZ Studio?

Do they have .pmd files? Those are external binary morph targets from Poser, DS has trouble with them in many cases (about the only ones that work at all are those associated directly with a CR2 figure file).

• nonesuch00nonesuch00 Posts: 17,922

How come Poser morphs don't work in some of the Poser models in DAZ Studio?

Do they have .pmd files? Those are external binary morph targets from Poser, DS has trouble with them in many cases (about the only ones that work at all are those associated directly with a CR2 figure file).

OK, I will have to look and try again sometimes. It is not all of them though.