Advice Needed; how to recognize ultra-realistic Iray hair products

thrain9thrain9 Posts: 103
edited June 2018 in Product Suggestions

Advice Needed; how to recognize ultra-realistic Iray hair products

I am trying to get the most bang for my buck, and hair - even when using IRay shaders does not always look ultra-realistic.

I am hoping someone can give me some tips when looking at/reading descriptions of the various hair products at DAZ store that will give me at least some assurance that the product is able to do what I need.  

Nothing against the PA's they all do great things with hair.

OR I need to learn how to do something in setting up the hair that will help.... I am really lost with this.

edit: This is for extreme closeup renders, such as a portion of a characters face, with some portion of hair showing rendered at QuadHD sizes - so rather a specialized need I suspect.

Post edited by thrain9 on

Comments

• nonesuch00nonesuch00 Posts: 17,929

It's mostly dependant on lighting and distance to hide the shortcomings of the hair and other models in use.  I suggest since you want to do close ups don't use any camera view that will short in it's frame the ends of the hairstyle, eg don't use bangs for a hair style but a hair style pulled off the forehead. You may have noticed that hair styles that are pulled back in a bun are all out of proportion popular in DAZ 3D renders than their actual occurance in real life - I think that's because it hides the weak points of 3D modeled hairs and those hair ends. 

• FSMCDesignsFSMCDesigns Posts: 12,557
    edited June 2018

for more realism and closeups look for fibermesh hair, It can eat up memory, but can look more realistic closeup depending on how well it's done.

Check out RedzStudio in the marketplace

Post edited by FSMCDesigns on
  • thrain9thrain9 Posts: 103

Thank you for the help.

• nicsttnicstt Posts: 11,714
    edited June 2018

https://www.daz3d.com/classic-long-hair-with-dforce-for-genesis-8-females

Possible to get really good results with this.

I will buy the next dforce hair the PA produces; non-dforce hair, well I have enough of those. :)

Edit: Here is a very quick test; more time tweaking shaders and hair starting pose, would probably have produced better results.

Edit2: I tweak the shaders because - well, I can; the included ones are great. :)

hair.JPG
    873 x 717 - 59K
    Post edited by nicstt on