30th Bryce Render Challenge ~~~"My Secret Garden"~~~

Comments

• Yellow PenYellow Pen Posts: 918

Mermaid, I like the second more... as Horo said.

• HenryhorHenryhor Posts: 258

@ adbc : could be an illustration for a fairy tale. Well done

@ mermaid010 : prefer the first one

• adbcadbc Posts: 3,101

Yellow Pen, mermaid010, Horo, Henryhor : thank your for your comment.

mermaid010 : very nice render, great light and colours, especially the second one.

• drachenlordsdrachenlords Posts: 821

@ Hansmar: lost garden - very nice. Was the garden stolen? ;-)

@ Yellow Pen: Nice idea and well done. I hope so, nobody has to pluck the weeds after many years.

@ adbc: Very dreamy picture. Almost like a fairytale.

@ mermaid: I like the second one more. It looks stronger.

• HansmarHansmar Posts: 2,756

Oh, my, I never thought my render would be too subtle to be understood! At least, nobody clearly indicated to understand the meaning of my render. I was afraid the signals were far too obvious. Signs all pointing to Eden (OK, difficult to read). A snake, an apple on the floor, a withered garden….. I should have called it ‘Paradise lost’, perhaps then it would be clear.

OK, so my lost garden is the ‘Garden of Eden’, which was lost to humans when a snake seduced them with an apple. I can try to make the text more clear. Maybe that helps. And the apple is small, but that is on purpose. You cannot miss the snake, I think.

Ed3D, Yellow Pen, Horo, adbc, mermaid, drachenlords: thanks. Yes, the text could be made to be more readable. And no, it is not a garden without plants or a stolen garden or a desert garden. The garden is lost, we cannot find it. It is clear I have to work on the understandability of my render!

Yellow Pen: that is very beautiful, a lush garden. For my screen setting a bit on the dark side, but this is different for other people, I guess.

Adbc: nice view, great clouds in the background. But why is the girl so small? Is it a fairy or something? She will not easily be able to climb those stairs.

Mermaid: beautiful original work. The first version is too light and has too limited contrast. The second is more attractive, due to the better contrast. But, again, with my screen setting, the dark is maybe a bit too dark. Just a little more light on the dark parts (much less than in the first version) would be my preference.

edited July 2018

Here is my second version of secret garden. Hope there is a bit more focus in this one and the text is a bit better readable.

OK, so this is in the end not en entry, because I made three other renders, that are more clearly (visibly) related to the theme of the contest.

secret garden 3.jpg
    1754 x 875 - 1006K
    Post edited by Hansmar on

Hansmar : The girl is small because it's supposed to be a child, I used the Genesis basic child. I know I'm not very good at proportions but I compared the height of the child with the height of the gate and yes probably she will have some difficulty to climb the stairs. I don't know if I should make her bigger, maybe wait for someone else having the same remark. Every image can always be improved, I agree to that.  Your second version of the secret garden looks better.

drachenlords : thanks for your kind comment..

• c-ramc-ram Posts: 376
    Here's my entry : My secret garden is here, on Mainau island (constance lake, Germany). If I have enough money I'd buy a house or a place on this island because of the beauty of the luxurious vegetation. Render in Bryce using speedtree for vegetation.
    Mainau.jpg
    1365 x 910 - 2M
  • HoroHoro Posts: 10,123

Hansmar - yes, the paradise lost garden escaped me. Excellent idea. Well done, second one is better.

adbc - I agree with Hansmar. The girl is a bit small if the scene is to look realistic. I also have difficulties to get proportions right.

c-ram - I've been to Mainau island (Germany, but Austria and Switzerland also share a shore with lake Constance) several times in my youth. If I remember correctly, they made it into a dahlia exposition once a year. Your render looks super realistic. Could be a photograph. Outstanding work.

• S RayS Ray Posts: 398
    edited July 2018

My wife is a butterfly gardener, so this one is for her.
    #2 Cindy's Garden

Cindy's Gaeden.jpg
    1422 x 800 - 1M
    Post edited by S Ray on
    edited July 2018

c-ram : superb image, very detailed !

S Ray : Great render, the butterfly, the colourful vegetation, the sky .... well done !

Horo : thanks for confirming Hansmar's comment. When I made the girl slightly bigger I could see the difference, I think it looks more realistic now.

Gate to the secret garden_1..jpg
    650 x 841 - 172K
    Post edited by adbc on
  • drachenlordsdrachenlords Posts: 821

@ Hansmar: Yes, the second is better read.

@ c-ram: WOW! This is really realistic like a photo. I'm going to see Mainau on vacation this year, but I do not think my photos will be more realistic. Respect!

@ S Ray: Beautiful. The contrast between the colors of the flowers and the butterfly to the horn is great.

@adbc: I just think that the girl is so small, makes the picture look like a fairy tale. I like it.

@ c-ram : I know Mainau (almost drowned in Lake Constance, long ago). Very well done.

@ S Ray : beautiful savage garden

My entry : SECRET LOVE

An (ironic) illustration for a poem you can find here :
    https://frenchmoments.eu/mignonne-allons-voir-si-la-rose/
    Credits : Tipol, Digital-lion, Saint Fox, Cybertenko, LB, Zippy, Transpond, Propsclub, DAZ,...

seclove.jpg
    1305 x 870 - 335K
  • c-ramc-ram Posts: 376

@ Horo : Thank you. Yes, you're right dahlia is also an endemic species on the island.

@ adbc and Henryhor : Thanks.

@ Drachenlord : what would be nice is to let me know if after your vacation, you've found this rendered place in real life on Mainau island.

Nice entry from everyone and good luck!

Drachenlords, Hansmar: thanks for the nice comments.

C-ram: Wow.... this is really wonderful, and it looks like a photo. Outstanding work.

adbc: the little girl is very small (better now), and the picture looks like a fairytaile.... I like it.

Sray: beautiful, like a Fairy Garden.

Henryhor: very well done, nice Scene... I love it.

adbc - in the end it's what you want to tell. This determines whether the size of the girl is too small or just right.

Henryhor - very nice courtyard with all that vegetation.

@ Yellow Pen - Horo : thanks

edited July 2018

Henryhor : outstanding scene.

drachenlords, Yellow Pen, Horo : you are all right about the girl, I appreciate constructive comment and I don't mind re-doing stuff, maybe I finally get it right that way. Horo : yes, maybe although the proportions have to be right. The story I want to tell is : the girl is reluctant to climb the stairs and pass the inviting half open gate and enter the secret (unknown to her) garden.

3rd attempt to second entry : The gate to the secret garden.

Gate to the secret garden2.jpg
    650 x 841 - 171K
    Post edited by adbc on

adbc.... really perfect. Excellent Sky and light.

Adbc: You’re third version is the best for me. Now very realistic.

c-ram: Incredible realistic and very, very beautiful. Do you not get into trouble with the size of your files? Or are these trees still not so big in polygons (despite all the leaves)? Speedtree does wonders and you use it very well.

S-ray: very nice close-up view. I find the flowers do get a bit ‘hard’ and ‘edgy’, this close, but not too much yet.

Henryhor: A story in one picture and very nice render as well. Maybe the flowers could be a bit more radiant in colours. They look a bit subdued in colours. They might stand out a bit more?

Adbc, Horo, drachenlords, thanks for nice comments and confirming the improvement.

• JamahoneyJamahoney Posts: 1,791
    edited July 2018

The scale, AdBc is finally perfect (the previous two looked like the girl would have had to climb the steps, btw, I love the soft shadows, which appear wonderfully on the girl's shoulders). A sense of wonder and excitemennt to the scene exist, also: opening that gate, and beyond what it holds...oooohhh...mysteries surprise Would want to venture.

It's my current desktop (not breaking any rules, I hope, just personal preference).

Jay

PS. Been out of the loop for awhile (stuck in another project: having a unidirectional, debilitating mind and objective approach...etc.,, it's hard to go in to another area of wonder), so sorry for not commenting on all the other previous wonderful works above, as there are too many.

I do have a 'garden' idea, but if/when I can get to produce it as an actual render is another time-related issue. But, no worries at this end,

Post edited by Jamahoney on

@ Hansmar : thanks for the comment. Agree about the flowers. They are a little more vivid before jpg compression.

@ adbc : the scale looks good. But already liked the first : made me think of Little Thumb

Yellow Pen, Hansmar, Jamahoney, Henryhor : Thanks for the nice comments.

edited July 2018

adbc - now I think your third attempt is perfect.

My second entry.
    Title: Indoor Garden.
    The building is Faded Industries by Stonemason, the rest are Bryce trees.

Indoor Garden

IndoorGarden.jpg
    1200 x 750 - 343K
    Post edited by Horo on
  • JamahoneyJamahoney Posts: 1,791
    edited July 2018

Nice, Horo...I hate making suggestions - would deleting some of the trees in the backgound make the building visible (the scene, kinda, reminds me of the wonderful hours spent playing the game 'Half Life' - it had an industrial-type, surburban-type delapitated look to it).

If one has never played a game before, then 'Half Life' (old-ish now in terms of other wonderful games etc.,) is one to return to.

Jay

Post edited by Jamahoney on
  • mermaid010mermaid010 Posts: 5,000
    edited July 2018

Thanks Horo, Yellow Pen, HenryHor, Adbc, Drachenlords and Hanmar for the nice comments and suggestions.

Horo- thanks for the info about Lisa. The Indoor Garden is awesome with great lighting and vegetation.

Hansmar – the second render is much better.

C-ram – wow a very photo realistic render, beautiful.

S Ray – great garden, love the butterfly

Henryhor – Superb courtyard, nice lighting and vegetation.

Adbc – the 3rd version is much better.

Post edited by mermaid010 on

@ Horo : Beautiful place. Agree with Jamahoney. Also reminds me of Syberia. Maybe a bird ?

Horo, mermaid : thanks.

Horo : beautiful image, Jamahoney has a point though.

Horo,this is really beautiful....

Horo, very nice idea and render too. I agree, seeing a bit more of the building would be nice. One other thing. The camera setting is probably to blame, but I guess that the pots in the foreground are distorted. I assume the two silvery pots were round? If not (if they are oval), forget my remark.