Firefly Killer

This is a program I wrote myself in C#.  I didn't use any non-Microsoft libraries so I'm sure it's virus and crap-free.

Put this in a Program Files folder, and drag a shortcut to the desktop.  

Now you can drag an image file onto it and it will unFirefly it.  It DOES NOT change your original image, it creates a fixed.image.png file instead.

Give it a try.  Heck it's FREE.  I wrote the algorithm to fix fireflies, so it reflects the kind of problems I see most in my own renders.  Works with any fireflied image not just Daz.  I have used it with Daz, Poser, and Luxrender.

No guarantees, and no you can't render for 3 minutes and then expect this to clean it all up.  but for a few thousand fireflies, it does a fair job.

zip
zip
unFirefly.zip

Comments

• nonesuch00nonesuch00 Posts: 17,929

thanks

• GreymomGreymom Posts: 1,104

Wow - thanks!

edited June 2018

A quick test with a firefly-rich short render: removed 1662 fireflys!  No other noticable changes to image (I tried another denoiser/defirefly utility a while back that got rid of a lot of fireflys and noise, but noticably reduced overall image sharpness).   I will find a better demo to post, this one is way too grainy to do it justice.

Thanks again!

Post edited by Greymom on
  • chris poolechris poole Posts: 124

Thanks,  for some reason I don't suffer from accessive fireflies, but I'm sure this will  come in handy non the less.

• Thanks!smiley

• glaseyeglaseye Posts: 1,305

Thank you, looks promising.

On a sidenote; the last time I recall having seen 'fireflies' in one of my renders was with the early versions of Luxrender. Tried the program nevertheless with a few images, it reported having removed several fireflies, but the only difference I could find was that it had removed or reduced some highlight-effects... Still, that can be useful as well;  sometimes those highlights are somewhat too strong.

• OdaaOdaa Posts: 1,548

This is a program I wrote myself in C#.  I didn't use any non-Microsoft libraries so I'm sure it's virus and crap-free.

Put this in a Program Files folder, and drag a shortcut to the desktop.  

Now you can drag an image file onto it and it will unFirefly it.  It DOES NOT change your original image, it creates a fixed.image.png file instead.

Give it a try.  Heck it's FREE.  I wrote the algorithm to fix fireflies, so it reflects the kind of problems I see most in my own renders.  Works with any fireflied image not just Daz.  I have used it with Daz, Poser, and Luxrender.

No guarantees, and no you can't render for 3 minutes and then expect this to clean it all up.  but for a few thousand fireflies, it does a fair job.

Where exactly does it output the fixed version to?

• glaseyeglaseye Posts: 1,305
    Odaa said:

Where exactly does it output the fixed version to?

On my system in the same folder as the original image; it adds 'fixed.' before the name (so 'image_name.jpg' becomes 'fixed.image_name.jpg')

This nifty little app can also be used on old photographs that have a lot of white/light speckles.   I tried it on a picture from 1903 which had a real problem with white specks in the dark areas.   After chewing on it a while, Firefly Killer announced that it had killed 146,603 fireflys in the image.   Looked a lot better!  Worked much better than Photoshop's "Despeckle" function.

Thanks again, this is handy!

• kwanniekwannie Posts: 865

Just out of curiousity, is there a way to adapt this to animations with thousands of frames??

• Griffin AvidGriffin Avid Posts: 3,757

Cool idea.

Anyone have before and after or examples....anything?

• HaruchaiHaruchai Posts: 1,884
    edited July 2018

Cool idea.

Anyone have before and after or examples....anything?

I only really have one image I can find that has fireflys that I kept. An older LuxRender image. Using this it doesn't seem to be as effective as expected. The original and 'fixed' images show that whilst it has coped with the fireflys on the gloves fine it has completely ignored the ones on the skin.

I really like the the maintainence of the image quality though, I too have used other utilities in the past and they blur the image a lot (but do remove all the fireflys). Your mileage may vary as other people have stated above having good results. Wish I had more to try it with

Domina.png
    667 x 1080 - 883K
    fixed.Domina.png
    667 x 1080 - 1M
    Post edited by Haruchai on