I lost it all

2»

Comments

• AJ2112AJ2112 Posts: 1,416

Hi Ron, I'm not familiar with Mac, sorry.  Sometimes on Windows OS, drives disappear, disconnect, etc.... caused by OS.  Could also be mobo, I had a bad mobo sata connect, which kept disconnecting/reconnecting drive.  Next time this happens, check Mac OS using drive utilites.  

• Ghosty12Ghosty12 Posts: 1,982

Sorry to hear about what happened can be a right PITA when it does happen.. I had something similar happen to me a couple years ago, I had lost 500 GB of data on an external drive due to a short from plugging in a Firewire drive into the system..

• TaozTaoz Posts: 9,733
    edited June 2018
    AJ2112 said:

Hi Ron, I'm not familiar with Mac, sorry.  Sometimes on Windows OS, drives disappear, disconnect, etc.... caused by OS.  Could also be mobo, I had a bad mobo sata connect, which kept disconnecting/reconnecting drive.  Next time this happens, check Mac OS using drive utilites.  

Windows USB is poorly designed, according to people who's supposed to know. I can only agree, I'm having problems with it all the time.

I can recommend Zentimo, it's capable of reconnecting drives that disconnect (often happens instantly when I plug in a drive).

http://www.zentimo.com/

Post edited by Taoz on
  • MarcCCTxMarcCCTx Posts: 909

Do you have your old CDs that you used to back everything up in the old days before Hard Drives were cheap? I don't remember when I quit doing that but in a back closet I have sheathes of old CDs. If you have something similar you might be able to reover some of your stuff from other sites.

Good Luck!

• Ron KnightsRon Knights Posts: 1,736

Just to let anyone know, really, Macs and PCs use the same hardware technology. i believe both Macs & PCs use USB 3.0 for external hard drives. Mac does offer Thunderbolt, but those devices are incredibly expensive. I don't think I still have the old CDs or DVDs. I've just decided to move on.... I won't waste much more emotional energy on it.

Thanks, everyone for your understanding and support.