Possible plugin

Is it possible to make a simple non--rendering framing grid feature for Carrara's camera to help with the rule of thirds? It's basically tic-tac-toe lines meant to help "balance" an image, as explained in fthis vid:

Comments

• DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,079
    edited June 2018

You could parent a grid to your camera.  Insert a vertex cube with segmentation level of 3.  Select the front face boxes and use Shift/Extrude.  Delete the boxes and the back of the cube to get a grid with lines at the thirds.  Scale the lines to taste.  Use the View menu to show the production frame.  Scale your grid to match the produciton frame.  Parent the grid to your rendering camera.  Turn on and off the visibility of the grid as convenient.

You could also use this method for diagonals or any other guide desired.  Now, if I would just follow my own avice my renders would look much better.  blush

rule of thirds 2.JPG
    1820 x 949 - 144K
    rule of thirds 4 match scale to show production frame.JPG
    1813 x 979 - 194K
    rule of thirds 5 parent to camera.JPG
    1290 x 726 - 126K
    Post edited by Diomede on
  • 3DAGE3DAGE Posts: 3,311

it's kind of already there,..

if you go to View / show production frame,. that will display the production frame,. with an inner "safe frame" area,.

that inner frame is split into corners and middle lined sections,. the centre of the Gaps in these sections woud be where your grid would be.

As diomede points out,. you can also create a custom frame from mesh objects or IK helpers would be better since they don't render.

create a couple of bones ,. add an IK chain (to get the IK helper cube) then delete the bones,. duplicate the helper as required, move the IK helpers into position in front of the camera,. , adjust scale to suit,. parent the helpers to the camera.

save to browser :)

framed.jpg
    1680 x 1050 - 1M
  • de3ande3an Posts: 915

As 3DAGE suggested, I always use the Production frame as a "rule of thirds" guide.

Just set the "Production Frame Safe Area" to 33.33%.

rule_of_thirds.png
    1280 x 1024 - 220K
  • Persona Non GrataPersona Non Grata Posts: 1,365
    edited March 2021

Post edited by Persona Non Grata on
  • TangoAlphaTangoAlpha Posts: 4,584

Must admit, I just hold up my thumb in front of it. Makes a good rule of thumb!

(Rules of thumb rule! lol)

edited March 2021

• VIArtsVIArts Posts: 1,496

only thing about using objects is, they have a habit of moving out of place. like "hey, i didn't move that there."

edited March 2021

• DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,079

@Selina - thanks for the camera setup.

• CelluloCellulo Posts: 56

Thanks Selina for the file, this will help us.

edited March 2021

only thing about using objects is, they have a habit of moving out of place. like "hey, i didn't move that there."

If you have objects ,. parented to something,. (such as a camera) ..you can select the child object/s and set the Motion panel/ constraints option to "lock"

that will stop you moving those parented objects,. accidentally :)

The main parent object is the only movable / animatable object,. and the child objects go wherever the parent does.

Hope it helps :)

If you have objects ,. parented to something,. (such as a camera) ..you can select the child object/s and set the Motion panel/ constraints option to "lock"

that will stop you moving those parented objects,. accidentally :)

The main parent object is the only movable / animatable object,. and the child objects go wherever the parent does.

Hope it helps :)