1930s Deco Ashstand

I am looking for a 1930s Art Deco style ashtray on a stand. These often had a nice colomn on a firm base,  with an ornate tray that held the glass ashtary. Some had Bakelite elements, some had lids that closed over the ash and butts. Some had handles over the the tray, but I rememember just the stands that close. My grandparents, both inveterate smokers, had one each. My grandmother smoked Chesterfields, and stubbed them delicately into the tray. My grandfather smoked his 5cent White Owl cigar in a different kind of tray, designed for cigars. I am suggesting this as a possible product. It is so Art Deco it is crazy. Also, my parents who smoked a blue room, had ashtrays that were chromed metal, with a black  Bakelite stand featuring 2 animal figures holding an "urn" for stubbing out cigarettes. They were cranes or elephants whose open beaks or trunks held the burning cigarette in their grip. I think Mum had a set of 5 or 6 of those. Can't remember the other animals. Anyway, those are most 1940-1950. They are ashtrays with more style for a scene than just a dish or bowl. 

Comments

• MistaraMistara Posts: 38,675

yoo post some image references?

• IceScribeIceScribe Posts: 690
    edited June 2018

I found many photos for the kind of ash trays I was talking about, but the images seem to be all copyrighted. I decided to try to make a flat ashtray, not on a stand, like the kind I described my parents using. Again, the tray designs themselves seemed to be copyrighted and or their images, so I didn't make an exact copy, just a kind of take-off. I may try to make the astray stand, too, as the ones I saw in image searches were not quite what I had seen. I used the Millenium DogLE as the ashtray figurines. The little urn could swing back and forth, and was supposed to be used to stub out the cigarette ember, but my parents just used the tray. Also, the finish was highly chromed, but rendering the chrome shaders caught the reflection of the "bakelite" base, so I used polished aluminum.

MidCenturyChromedDogAshtrayIcescribe13jun2018.jpg
    986 x 893 - 584K
    Post edited by IceScribe on

So i went ahead and made a Deco style ashtray stand. Thing is, I used grouped primitives in DAZ studio, but I could not figure out how to align the centers only on y axis, so everything is eyeballed. The 3 legs are also eyeballed. So it's just as a likely example. In this I suggest that amber Bakelite is used for trim. 

DecoStyleAshtraystandIceScribe14Jun2018.jpg
    986 x 893 - 221K

Well, maybe these items are too old and unusual to stimulate any interest, since not nearly as many folks smoke today like they used to. My brother instantly liked the stand, he says he's been looking for a "real" one, to smoke his cigars with. There are still many collectibles, but I imagine they are pricey. I'll be noticing if any such items do mosey along.....LOL!

• IndigoTeaIndigoTea Posts: 74

Take a look at Deco Downtime - there's an ashtray there that might suit you, and it's on sale right now.