.duf supported in Carrara 8.5 or no...?

drakkendarkdrakkendark Posts: 57
edited December 1969 in Carrara Discussion

When I try to open or import a .duf file into the latest build of Carrara 8.5 It says i/o error when executing import. Is it possible to open .duf files in Carrara or no? The list of shiny new things for the last edition before the current one says yes. Am I missing something here?

Comments

• bighbigh Posts: 8,147
    edited December 1969

When I try to open or import a .duf file into the latest build of Carrara 8.5 It says i/o error when executing import. Is it possible to open .duf files in Carrara or no? The list of shiny new things for the last edition before the current one says yes. Am I missing something here?

yes - start with new scene - import DUF file

• ManStanManStan Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Are you using the latest build of Studio?

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,885
    edited December 1969

depends also how much in it and if it uses Daz shadermixer functions it could fail too.
    solitary dressed animated figures work for me not two or more.

edited December 1969

depends also how much in it and if it uses Daz shadermixer functions it could fail too.
    solitary dressed animated figures work for me not two or more.

You could be right there. I Usually do the same thing, using it to set up a figure not a scene.

• drakkendarkdrakkendark Posts: 57
    edited December 1969

Yeah. This is a whole scene. Not just one figure and an article of clothing. That will be a good back up plan if the import advice doesn't work. I am pretty certain that I already tried to import DUF file though. I will try again today and see what happens.

edited December 1969

Don't import it, just open it. Right click the DUF, select open with, then select carrara. Your mileage may very.

• 3DAGE3DAGE Posts: 3,311
    edited December 1969

HI

Carrara supports DUF format,. but Carrara isn't Daz Studio.

Carrara can be used to load and animate Daz3D content "natively" from the browser,. (just as you would in DS, or poser)

But,.. Carrara doesn't have all the plug-ins and scripted options, or features of DS or Poser, so if you're trying to import an entire scene from Daz Studio, or Poser. you need to be aware that some items in your scene may not be possible to import into a program which doesn't have those features.

Despite the ability to transfer items or scenes from DS to Carrara using the DUF format,. It's still a very bad work-flow to start your scene in one program and import that into another program which has exactly the same scene building abilities. EG: Daz3d figures and content, can be loaded directly from the browser.

Daz Studio, Poser, and Carrara,. all use different shader engines, camera's, lighting,. and render engines.

If you want to learn to use carrara,. don't start by building your scene in another program.

sorry if that's harsh,. but,.. it's the truth.

edited December 1969

3DAGE, that is bad, you almost sound like me ;) lol

edited December 1969

I already know how to use Carrara, Bryce, DAZ3D and Poser sufficiently. I was conducting an experiment to see how well a DAZ file would import directly into the other programs. Since it says that Carrara supports .duf files, I took that literally. When it didn't work, I posted here to see if there was a mistake that I made. .duf files import poorly into Bryce as well. I am not even going to try Poser at this point. Thanks for the input 3dage. I cannot help but tinker. Unfortunately all of these programs have the things that they are best at, and I have been looking for ways to combine these elements in my workflow, but in reality it looks like alpha channels and post-work is the best way to go, although not the quickest. Thanks for your input everyone.
    -DrDrk

• bighbigh Posts: 8,147
    edited December 1969

I already know how to use Carrara, Bryce, DAZ3D and Poser sufficiently. I was conducting an experiment to see how well a DAZ file would import directly into the other programs. Since it says that Carrara supports .duf files, I took that literally. When it didn't work, I posted here to see if there was a mistake that I made. .duf files import poorly into Bryce as well. I am not even going to try Poser at this point. Thanks for the input 3dage. I cannot help but tinker. Unfortunately all of these programs have the things that they are best at, and I have been looking for ways to combine these elements in my workflow, but in reality it looks like alpha channels and post-work is the best way to go, although not the quickest. Thanks for your input everyone.
    -DrDrk

you can not import a DUF file into Bryce - only Carrara or DS - poser don't use it so can't say .

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,885
    edited December 1969

I can get a .duf scene into PP12 using dimensond3d DSON importer script but my textures tend to go AWOL
    one figure usually ok

• 3DAGE3DAGE Posts: 3,311
    edited December 1969

HI drakkendark

There are still some issues to be resolved with DUF import,. and it's still not a good idea to import files into any application which can load them from the source,. rather than importing another programs file format,. however.. as you say,. it claims that duf can be imported,. and it can,. But' it's possible to have errors or problems with multiple figures (of the same base figure) and their clothing,.. in a scene,. and import that multifigure scene into Carrara 8.5

Right now, you can load a figure, dress it, animate it etc,. and save the scene in Daz Studio duf.
    then open that duf scene into the beta,. with no issues.

it could be that your scene had multiple versions of the same figure,. and that's a know issue which is being dealt with.

You can also save individual "presets" in Duf,. such as Poses, materials, animation, characters,.. and open or apply those in the C8.5 beta, with no problems.

For other applications, like Poser, you'll need the DSON importer for poser, to work with genesis,.. while Bryce will use the DS Bridge to send the scene to Bryce, rather than a duf file.

Also bear in mind that duf is a new file format and it's development process has meant that it's been tweaked and adjusted as issues arise,. and that's an ongoing process of refining how it works,. so,. it's not written in stone yet.

Right now, I think it's better than any previous DS to Carrara exchange format we've had. (just my opinion)

but,. having said that,. I think it's still better to load content into an application whenever possible,. rather than import a file from another application.

Carrara 8.5 was developed to support working natively with Genesis, and the new formats, and being able to load those directly from the browser.

edited December 1969

3dage. At this point I agree. I hope that someday the files can be moved from one program to the next completely, or that they all become one awesome program. THAT is my opinion. :-)

I have great respect for your vending work over at Rendo btw, so it is an honor to speak with you. Keep up the great work.

Thank you everyone. I guess that this was silly experiment. The render times between programs are atrocious anyway if any quality is desired. I need a new rig.

Peace.
    -DrDrk