Holy HEDT Batman! Threadripper 2nd Gen is 32 Cores!!! 7nm Vega also launching 2H 2018.

tj_1ca9500btj_1ca9500b Posts: 2,047
edited June 2018 in The Commons

https://wccftech.com/amd-2nd-gen-ryzen-threadripper-32-core-64-thread-flagship-cpu-computex/

No word on frequency as of yet, it should be faster thanks to 12nm, but of course having to balance 32 cores might offset some of that gain... of course 32 cores is better than 16 cores, so that should be quite nice.

Launches 2nd half 2018...

Also, 7nm Vega is almost upon us...

https://wccftech.com/amd-demos-worlds-first-7nm-gpu/

Also 2H 2018!  This could be December, but it's still 2018.  Vega is not really useful for Iray users, but a 35% performance uplift is significant nonetheless.  But for rendering solutions that can use Vega cores...

Post edited by tj_1ca9500b on

Comments

• nonesuch00nonesuch00 Posts: 17,926

They don't give wattage. I wonder when this tech will be miniaturized enough and cooled enough to run on mobile devices?

• tj_1ca9500btj_1ca9500b Posts: 2,047

Lisa also showed off a 7nm EPYC processor at the end of the AMD press conference, but didn't share any details other than it was a 7nm chip.  She said they'd disclose some details on said chip at a later date.

The burning question on my mind is how the extra 2 dies on Threadripper Mk II work out latency wise, if they aren't increasing the PCIe lanes and Memory channels...

• kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,561

..and what about cooling even for a tower case?  That's one big CPU. 

• Daz Jack TomalinDaz Jack Tomalin Posts: 13,120
    kyoto kid said:

..and what about cooling even for a tower case?  That's one big CPU. 

I think it's fair to assume that all of these bigger multi-core CPU's are going to really need either massive aircoolers, or most likely, AIO water cooling loops to really be effective under load for long periods of time.

...and AMD CPUs tend to run a bit "hotter" than Intel ones (save for the Skylake-X series).

They are already able to aircool EPYC, which is essentially what  Threadripper Mk II is (4 dies operational instead of 2).  They did mention that 'conventional' aircooling would work with Threadripper in the livestream.  Id imagine that AMD will continue to package these with their Wraith coolers, as they have been doing with Ryzen and Threadripper up to this point.

The increase in clockspeed will likely offset any gains in reduced power requirements, so it may run just a bit hotter than an EPYC I would think, but not by a lot I'd guess.  Launch is scheduled for August, so we don't have long to wait.

...well not quite in the market for a new MB and everything right now or having to deal with W10 (would be great for Carrara though, imagine 64 coloured tiles flashing across the screen).

• MistaraMistara Posts: 38,675

32 cores?!!

So it sounds as if these new CPUs still only use 100 - 120W. I think low energy mobile devices, like an iPhone that uses the A7 causes the A7 to draw 12 watts by one estimate I saw. I think the newest iPhone probably use 20 - 25 watts though..

Seeing these new developments and the way this optane memory is going to be utilized for rendering scene I don't think it makes sense for me to buy anything other than a cheep used laptop until that new tech is established with the things get rendered.

• 3dOutlaw3dOutlaw Posts: 2,470
    Mistara said:

32 cores?!!

32, 33, whatever it takes...  

• MarkHMarkH Posts: 79
    edited June 2018
    3dOutlaw said:
    Mistara said:

32 cores?!!

32, 33, whatever it takes...  

laugh

Post edited by MarkH on
  • davesodaveso Posts: 6,424

so i can render iray faster with 32 vs 4 cores? I dont have an nvidia graphics card.

...it will definitely help, however you will probably need a new motherboard as well.  Not sure though if Daz will utilise all 64 threads for rendering. 

• nicsttnicstt Posts: 11,714
    edited June 2018

I have a Threadripper and it utilises the 16/32 cores/threads for rendering, and when dropping to cpu, gives a reasonable performance.

Not as good as a card when it doesn't drop, but no RAM limitations.

Post edited by nicstt on
    daveso said:

so i can render iray faster with 32 vs 4 cores? I dont have an nvidia graphics card.

TBH, as much as I like the AMD I have, you would be probably benefit more from a graphics card, unless your scenes routinely need more than cards offer.

...well I do now have a Titan X so VRAM shouldn't be as much of an issue as it is more efficient compared to physical memory when handling graphic data.
  • davesodaveso Posts: 6,424

yeah..i need a ocmplete new system actually

...I would say the same were it not for W10. I have to stay pre Kaby Lake/Ryzen.
  • AlienRendersAlienRenders Posts: 790
    edited June 2018
    kyoto kid said:

...and AMD CPUs tend to run a bit "hotter" than Intel ones (save for the Skylake-X series).

This hasn't been true with Zen. It's been quite the opposite in fact. Zen runs at low wattage and runs quite cool. Zen+ runs at almost half wattage as Zen1 because of the new process. So the same coolers as Threadripper 1 should work. (edit: It appears that while Zen+ does use half the wattage, AMD clocked Ryzen higher to the point of using the same or a little more power).

I've been meaning to build a watercooled build for a long time. If Threadripper 2 has 32 cores, I'm getting one and water cooling it. Not because it needs it. But because I always wanted to build a watercooled rig. This is gonna be great! Too bad RAM prices are still sky high.

This also means they may release a 2800X after all with 12 cores. The rumour so far is that 2800X will be a 10 core CPU. So it'd be a 12 core Zeppelin that is used in Threadripper, but with 2 cores disabled. I hope they release a 12 core variant. I'd get one right away. They're apparently waiting to see what Intel will release.

Post edited by AlienRenders on
  • mtl1mtl1 Posts: 1,501

The wattage on TR2 was bumped up slightly, so it's definitely air-coolable. The problem, of course, is that motherboard manufacturers will have to update their motherboard platforms to accomodate more power phases as TR2 is socket compatible with TR1.

The TR2 uses 250 watts so that is pretty big electricity draw. I wonder the wattage on the 28 core Intel CPUs.

...that's what my Titan X draws.
    edited June 2018

Just a note:

The TDP, which is maximum wattage, is suggested as 250, but that doesn't mean the processor is running at that wattage.

Anandtech has come up with some initial specs for Threadripper 2

https://www.anandtech.com/show/12906/amd-reveals-threadripper-2-up-to-32-cores-250w-x399-refresh

The frequencies aren't that far off from EPYC (14 nm) actually...

EPYC 7601 (14 nm)

• 32 Cores/64 Threads
    • Base Frequency 2.2 GHz
    • Boost Frequency 3.2 GHz
    • 180W TDP

Threadripper 2 32 Core Sample (per Anandtech)

• 32 Cores/64 Threads
    • Base Frequency 3.0 GHz
    • Boost Frequency 3.4 GHz
    • 250W Max TDP

Threadripper 1950X

• 16 Cores/32 Threads
    • Base Frequency 3.4 GHz
    • Boost Frequency 4.0 GHz
    • 180W TDP

AND, looking at CPU World's numbers, the TDP of an EPYC 7351P (16 core/2.9 GHz) and an EPYC 7551P (32 core/3.0 GHz) is 10 watts (170w vs 180).

AMD chose the performance route with their 12nm shrink, as evidenced by the reported power consumptions of the 2700x vs the 1800x (about 20w more).  The TDP of the 2700x is 105w, vs 95w for the 1800x/1700x.

A few of the board partners that were takling to Anandtech at Computex mentioned to the AT reporter that AMD was being very conservative with that 250w estimate, and that they were routinely seeing lower numbers in their labs.  Extrapolating from the Ryzen numbers, I'd guess that we may be looking at a 40w increase in power usage (Threadripper 1 vs Threadripper 2) in max usage situations, but that's just a guess.  Plus add another 10 to 15 watts for the core count boost from 16 to 32 (based on the EPYC numbers).

The August launch seems to be on track, so we won't have long to wait until we start seeing actual numbers.

• AlienRendersAlienRenders Posts: 790

I'm reading that the Intel 28 core CPU they demonstrated recently was using a water chiller and the CPU was drawing 1200 watts. It's essentially an extreme overclock and also, it was an existing server SKU that they repurposed.

As for Threadripper, it's not 6 core CCX's. They're still 4 core CCX (a Zeppelin die has 2 CCXs). So they will use all four Zeppelin chips where two of them don't have access to memory directly. We'll have to see what kind of latency is there for the two new Zeppelin dies.

edited June 2018

I'm reading that the Intel 28 core CPU they demonstrated recently was using a water chiller and the CPU was drawing 1200 watts. It's essentially an extreme overclock and also, it was an existing server SKU that they repurposed.

As for Threadripper, it's not 6 core CCX's. They're still 4 core CCX (a Zeppelin die has 2 CCXs). So they will use all four Zeppelin chips where two of them don't have access to memory directly. We'll have to see what kind of latency is there for the two new Zeppelin dies.

I read that too.  Also, it was an entirely different, custom motherboard, and not what the 18 core 7980XE uses, and a rather beefy motherboard at that.  So that 28 core chip is definitely targetted at the ultra high end users, and most consumers probably couldn't afford it in the first place, even before you factor in the exotic cooling, special motherboard, etc...

But back to AMD:

As for the latency hit for crossing the CCX net, it's not as scary as some people would like you to believe.  For apps that can utilize the extra cores, you still see a benefit.  And there are software switches you can use to limit the crossing of CCX, which is useful when gaming, etc. when you don't need the extra cores.

Comparing prices of the 7351P vs the 7551P (the 'P' model EPYCs are single chip only, and cheaper), the price differential is $800 vs $2400, but of course with EPYC you are getting 'full' specs whereas the 2 additional dies on Threadrippper 2 won't come with extra PCIe lanes, etc., which should be worth a bit of a discount.

The big question will be, how much will 32 Core Threadripper cost?  Threadripper 1950X is retailing at $959 at the moment, but I've seen it as low as $799 a few times now when it's on sale.

So maybe double the price of Threadripper 16?  I'm thinking it actually might be a bit less than 2x the price, as AMD likes to set compelling price points these days...

I read that too.  Also, it was an entirely different, custom motherboard, and not what the 18 core 7980XE uses, and a rather beefy motherboard at that.  So that 28 core chip is definitely targetted at the ultra high end users, and most consumers probably couldn't afford it in the first place, even before you factor in the exotic cooling, special motherboard, etc...

But back to AMD:

As for the latency hit for crossing the CCX net, it's not as scary as some people would like you to believe.  For apps that can utilize the extra cores, you still see a benefit.  And there are software switches you can use to limit the crossing of CCX, which is useful when gaming, etc. when you don't need the extra cores.

Comparing prices of the 7351P vs the 7551P (the 'P' model EPYCs are single chip only, and cheaper), the price differential is $800 vs $2400, but of course with EPYC you are getting 'full' specs whereas the 2 additional dies on Threadrippper 2 won't come with extra PCIe lanes, etc., which should be worth a bit of a discount.

The big question will be, how much will 32 Core Threadripper cost?  Threadripper 1950X is retailing at $959 at the moment, but I've seen it as low as $799 a few times now when it's on sale.

So maybe double the price of Threadripper 16?  I'm thinking it actually might be a bit less than 2x the price, as AMD likes to set compelling price points these days...

I think the TR1 drops to 60% of it's current MSRP price and TR2 sells for 120% of the current TR1 MSRP.

• Ghosty12Ghosty12 Posts: 1,979
    edited June 2018

The TR2 uses 250 watts so that is pretty big electricity draw. I wonder the wattage on the 28 core Intel CPUs.

Well according to Linus Tech Tips if you OC the newish Intel 28 Core CPU to say 5GHz the power draw is suppsoedly something like 1Kw.. Though you would want to use LN2 cooling to do that sort of thing..

Yeah if you watch the latest Linus tech tips he shows what he reckons is one of the new Intel 28 core cpus on what looked to be a heavily modified WS Sage motherboard..

Post edited by Ghosty12 on

I'm wondering (and thinking nonesuch00 is somewhere in the ballpark) about dropping a 32 thread in my existing system. Will see on price, and how much current gen motherboards loose.

edited June 2018

The thing I find fascinating is that the TDP of the 32 core EPYC is only 10W more than the 16 core one.  Of course, there are several ways to get to 16 cores (4x4, 2x8, etc.), I'm guessing that it's 4x4 for the 16 core EPYCs. Anyways, for the 32 core EPYC, apparently the 'extra' 16 cores don't come with that much of a power premium (10w additional TDP).  I tried leisurely googling for a power comparison of a 7351P vs a 7551P, i.e wattage draw when under load, but didn't find one.  The fact that Threadripper and 32 core EPYC have the same TDP is telling though...

OK, as for the CCX cross core thing, Serve The Home did some in-depth analysis of this:

https://www.servethehome.com/amd-epyc-infinity-fabric-latency-ddr4-2400-v-2666-a-snapshot/

The two takeaways for EPYC are that there is a significant latency hit depending on how 'far away' the cores are from each other, and use faster memory (with tight timings).  The second point seems to apply more to the sub DDR4 3200 memory speeds.  The timings on DDR4 3600 increase a bit, and in most benchmarks I've looked at, Ryzen hasn't benefitted much at all going past 3200 MHz, but between 2400 MHz to 3200 MHz there are significant gains to be had.

BUT, even with that 'latency hit' in play, EPYC still does quite well against it's comparably priced peers in benchmarks. 

Also note that the STH article is also testing latency across two different CPUs/sockets entirely as well as on the same chip/socket, which is where those really high latency numbers creep in.  Threadripper is a single socket solution, so you won't see the really largest latency hits as shown in the charts in the articles, just the 'on chip' ones.

The Threadripper situation will change the latency situation a bit (i.e. 2 cores won't have memory 'nearby'), but then EPYC contends with this on a daily basis (i.e. a specific bit of data might not be 'close by') and it still does quite well  So again, the benefit of having 16 additional cores should be significant, but of course we won't know for sure what the actual performance hit might be until the benchmarking experts take Threadripper 2 for a spin...

I have a silly theory that since the Ryzen yields have been so phenomenal that AMD was having problems finding truly 'unusable' spacer cores to stuff inside of Threadripper CPUs, so they figured they might as well 'activate' those spacer cores in thie high end Threadripper 2's.  The 'lesser' Threadrippers (16 cores or less) can still use the occasional 'dead' CPU dies as spacers of course.

Also, while we aren't going to see 7nm Threadripper for a while, here's a teaser.  Note the the article title is a bit misleading.  48 Core EPYC is coming to 7nm at the end of this year/early 2019, but 64 core EPYC isn't planned until 7nm+, or not for another year...

This could also mean that we will be seeing 12 core 7nm Ryzens next year...

Lisa noted that the 7nm EPYCs are designed to drop into existing EPYC motherboards, and should only need a BIOS update.  That's good news for people that have already jumped on the EPYC bandwagon.  Not sure what that'll mean for 7nm Threadripper III though (which we won't see for at least another year probably).

https://www.servethehome.com/amd-epyc-rome-details-trickle-out-64-cores-128-threads-per-socket/