28 Core Intel HEDT Processor coming late this year... or not...

2»

Comments

• tj_1ca9500btj_1ca9500b Posts: 2,047
    edited June 2018

I've said this before, but I honestly don't remember ever seeing Intel stumble this hard with a process node shrink.

Toms Hardware: Intel's 10nm is Broken, delayed until 2019

I also saw on Ars Technica today where they are saying that, in reality, this 28 core chip may not arrive until 2019.  So I added 'or not...' to the title of this thread.

Sure, a few 10nm Intel chips are trickling out right now, but trickle would be the operative word there. 

Global Foundries and Samsung are taking a bit longer than TSMC on their 7nm ramp up,and they are anticipating volume production in early 2019

Intel's 10nm process supposedly has a clockpseed frequency advantage over TSMC's 7nm process, but it's been mentioned in a few places that the TSMC 7nm process is more cost effective than Intel's 10nm.  Plus, TSMC is already planning on 7nm+ next year, which should keep them more or less 'on par' with what's Intel is currently doing.

It appears the days of Intel's '3 year lead' on processor technology are now behind them, and that they are now struggling just to keep pace...

Post edited by tj_1ca9500b on
  • nicsttnicstt Posts: 11,714
    edited June 2018

It's what they get for coasting these last few years; IMO they were greedy and took advantage of a lead, but things changed. They could have continued to innovate, but allowed the compettion to catch up - and worse, add some innovations or at least twists or their own.

History is listered with the corpses of successful companies, who became not; I don't see that happening to Intel, but it is interesting to watch, and who knows really, what will happen.

Post edited by nicstt on
  • kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,577

...it was already evident with Skylake-X.  To lower the cost Intel went to using a cheap thermal paste to attach the heat spreader. Previous generation Intel CPUs had the heat spreader soldered on which gave it more positive contact with the silicon.  Hence in tests Skylake-X chips tended to run hotter than older generations.

• TaozTaoz Posts: 9,732

"Intel's recent demonstration of a 28-core processor running at 5GHz has certainly stirred the pot here at Computex, particularly because the presentation appeared to imply this would be a shipping chip with a 5.0GHz stock speed. Unfortunately, it turns out that Intel overclocked the 28-core processor to such an extreme that it required a one-horsepower industrial water chiller. That means it took an incredibly expensive (not to mention extreme) setup to pull off the demo. You definitely won't find this type of setup on a normal desktop PC."

https://www.tomshardware.com/news/intel-28-core-cpu-5ghz,37244.html

Viewed under this lens (10nm, etc. issues), Intel aggressively recruiting several notable AMD alum makes more sense.  Both Raja Kojuri and Jim Keller are now Intel employees, and Intel also poached Chris Hook (Marketing) from AMD.  There may have been others as well..

I'm guessing that Intel dipped into it's massive cash reserves to give these guys sweetheart deals, in the hopes of breathing new life into their own teams.  Jim was already a 'free agent' working for Tesla, Raja's transition was a bit more mysterious (he went on Sabbatical for a bit), but Chris Hook, well one day he was at AMD and the next he was at Intel.

It's also possible that AMD isn't offering it's team as competitive a package as they should, but I haven't seen mention of a lot of 'mass exoduses', so I'm guessing Intel's hiring strategy is extremely targeted at the department heads that they think will be the most influential on their own teams.  And also to 'deny' their talents to their main competitors.

Compared to Intel, Samsung is absolutely huge (it isn't even close), but Samsung's portfolio is so diverse it's hard for them to excel at just one thing.  Nonetheless, their chip division surpassed Intel's recently... https://www.cnbc.com/2018/01/31/samsung-surpasses-intel-as-worlds-biggest-chipmaker-for-the-first-time.html. ; You know that has to be gnawing at the insides of  Intel's board of directors...

I think Intel will recover their commanding lead again in the coming years (as they did in the years after the early Athlon processors so threatened their market share), unless Samsung throws their weight more strongly behind their chip division, but in the meantime I'm glad to see AMD being this competitive performance wise again.  Us consumers win when there's a real competition afoot.

Lisa Su certainly seems to be doing a great job at the helm of AMD!

...well a 32 core/64 thread Threadripper would do wonders for Carrara.and be a great backup should Iray dump from the GPU.  Early pricing "guesstimates" are placing it around the price of Intel's 18 core I9-7980XE

Well I was toying with the idea of a 32core AMD, but at that price, not sure; it will depend I suppose on other costs involved and what just dropping it my current setup has me missing out on. Then again, I was considering the new Intel, but further reading has made that a nono.

...again those are "guesstamnates".  AMD isn't even releasing details on clock speeds yet. Even at that price it is almost double the core count of the I9-7980XE.  That alone makes it a bargain in comparison.

• retiretomauiretiretomaui Posts: 383
    edited June 2018

The 28 core Intel cpu is fraudware, for lack of a better term. It was really just an already available (probably) supercooled Skylake Xeon processor. It required its own personal cooling unit to get it to run at sub-ambeint temps, a beach cooler sized box from the photos. It was really just there to try to steal some of AMD's thunder, attempting to get people to think that Intel had its own answer to Threadripper. They later admitted that the cpu was there for demo purposes only and didn't represent a real part, or at least a new part, despite claiming that it was "coming later this year," or words to that effect, before they were found out - tons of videos on Youtube about this and articles on-line. Bad practices by Intel, especially since the AMD Threadripper 2 demos were using stock air cooling to get the job done. 

Post edited by retiretomaui on

This article pretty much sums up what pretty much the entire tech media is pointing out right now about Intel's tech demo...

https://www.techspot.com/news/75009-intel-28-core-fantasy-vs-amd-32-core.html

...as I understand they couldn't get enough power to run both the CPU and cooler simultaneously.

• VisuimagVisuimag Posts: 551
    edited June 2018

Confirmed that it wasn't the HEDT CPU, but a Xeon. However, the rumor still supports the idea of new HEDT CPUs later this (probably with a similar core count for the top dog, which I'm buying).

Post edited by Visuimag on
    Visuimag said:

Confirmed that it wasn't the HEDT CPU, but a Xeon. However, the rumor still supports the idea of new HEDT CPUs later this (probably with a similar core count for the top dog, which I'm buying).

I was thinking the same until I've read how they are trying to 'con' the public; yes I feel con is an accurate way of putting it.

So one of the Guru3D authors picked up an 8086K apparently (you know, that chip that supposedly boosts to 5 GHz).  Well, according to him, only ONE of the six cores is able to boost to 5 GHz (which is nice for single threaded applications), with the other 5 cores (if using multiple cores) remaining at 8700K levels (4.6 GHz across 2 cores, 4.3 GHz across 6 Cores)...

http://www.guru3d.com/news-story/intel-core-i7-8086k-cpu-turbo-bins-are-close-to-similar-to-8700k.html

Yeah 4.3 GHz is still rather nice, but I guess we'll see if others are seeing the same thing.  If this turns out to be 'typical', well it'll be yet another example of Intel over-promising something to consumers in recent weeks.

Intel CEO Brian Krzanich has resigned, effective immediately.  He will be replaced in the interim by Intel's current CFO, Robert Swan.

https://wccftech.com/intel-ceo-brian-krzanich-resigns/

While the official reason is running afoul of Intel's personell policy (consentual relationship with another Intel Employee), I have to wonder if other developments also factored into this. It could just be a 'metoo' thing though. 

While Intel HAS been struggling with thier 10nm shrink, they are still expecting a record quarter in Q2 2018.  I am wondering if new leadership at the top might be just the 'kick in the pants' that Intel's development teams need to get back on track.  Not that they are all that far off track really, but this 'promotional marketing' thing with the 28 core HEDT CPU could have been handled better.

edited June 2018

Talk about raising the stakes...  I just saw this on Guru3D.

While Intel is working on ramping up their 10nm production, TSMC is already investing 21 BIllion dollars into 5nm production. 

Apparently TSMC's 7nm node has worked out very well and they are currently ramping up production of 7nm chips.  And an enhanced version of 7nm with EUV is scheduled to begin tapeouts in the second hafl of 2018.

As for 5nm?  Risk production is scheduled for the first half of 2019, followed by volume production during the second half of 2019 or early 2020.  This is much sooner than originally expected....

http://www.guru3d.com/news-story/7nm-chip-fabrication-5nm-is-gearing-up-for-next-year-already.html

Samsung isn't standing still either, and is pushing similarly hard.  And Global Foundries (which is also ramping up 7nm production)  has mentioned that  they are seriously considering skipping 5nm entirely and going straight to 3nm.

https://www.anandtech.com/show/12831/globalfoundries-gives-7-nm-capacity-update-mulls-skipping-5-nm

The days of 'Real men have fabs' (Jerry Sanders quote from 1999) are far behind us, and AMD spinning off their chip division and splitting their production between TSMC and GloFo is finally working out in spades!

I'll be interested to see what Intel pulls out of their hat in the coming months, as they have deep pockets and you KNOW they won't just accept the status quo.  Intel likes being at the top!

Yep, the world of computer hardware is anything but boring these days!

Post edited by tj_1ca9500b on
  • ebergerlyebergerly Posts: 3,255
    edited June 2018
    Some of us may recall the 3Ghz Pentium 4 released back in 2002. Thats 16 years ago. So for some of us, talk of anything at 5Ghz might seem a bit trivial. I think the physics of going above those speeds makes it extremely difficult, therefore the necessity to focus on parallelism and many cores in order to stay in business. Whether we need it or not. Luckily most graphics stuff can benefit from parallelism, but unfortunately a lot of other stuff requires you solve one after the other.
    Post edited by ebergerly on
  • nonesuch00nonesuch00 Posts: 17,929
    ebergerly said:
    Some of us may recall the 3Ghz Pentium 4 released back in 2002. Thats 16 years ago. So for some of us, talk of anything at 5Ghz might seem a bit trivial. I think the physics of going above those speeds makes it extremely difficult, therefore the necessity to focus on parallelism and many cores in order to stay in business. Whether we need it or not. Luckily most graphics stuff can benefit from parallelism, but unfortunately a lot of other stuff requires you solve one after the other.

Ultimately it should make thinks more inexpensive and safer for consumers everywhere and whether or not they own a computer too so I would think it's more of a necessity than Netflicks & plenty of other things too.