How do you know what you can share, in terms of morphs?

Testing6790Testing6790 Posts: 1,091
edited December 1969 in The Commons

Say I create a custom figure using morphs. How would one go about figuring out which morphs can be shared and which can't? Like, I am using http://www.daz3d.com/genesis-head-morph-resource-kit-1. If I exported it as an obj and re-imported it as a genesis morph target so there were no dials, would that work?

Comments

• murgatroyd314murgatroyd314 Posts: 1,436
    edited December 1969

That particular morph set is a merchant resource, so if it's the only thing you're using to create your figure, that would be all right. In general, though, you can't do that with anything that isn't labeled as either a merchant resource or otherwise licensed for unrestricted use.

• Lissa_xyzLissa_xyz Posts: 6,116
    edited July 2013

I've previously spoken to Thorne over @ Rendo for clarification about her merchant resources kits, as I had the same question. Using them to create a single morph is for commercial characters only. If you wish to share it free, you'll need to do it as a shape preset that requires the user to own the same morph kits.

Edited by Moderator to remove quoted PM's per rule #15 of the TOS

Post edited by fixmypcmike on
  • icprncssicprncss Posts: 3,694
    edited December 1969

Best suggestion is to get the answers from DAZ themselves. File a ticket with all the information you have and any questions you need answered.

Save yourself potential problems.

edited July 2013

icprncss said:
    Best suggestion is to get the answers from DAZ themselves. File a ticket with all the information you have and any questions you need answered.

Save yourself potential problems.

I edited my post with an answer from Thorne.
    Post edited by Lissa_xyz on
  • KatteyKattey Posts: 2,899
    edited December 1969

Vaskania said:
    I've previously spoken to Thorne over @ Rendo for clarification about her merchant resources kits, as I had the same question. Using them to create a single morph is for commercial characters only. If you wish to share it free, you'll need to do it as a shape preset that requires the user to own the same morph kits.

Nothing in the product description says that for free morphs it has to be a shape preset and commercial can be 'baked'. As long as individual morphs can't be extracted (i.e. morph is redistributed as 'baked' combination), it should be fine, commercial or not.
    I'd also suggest to open a ticket, pointing that product description in store doesn't specify anything special about using the result non-commercially.
    edited December 1969

Kattey said:
    Vaskania said:

Nothing in the product description says that for free morphs it has to be a shape preset and commercial can be 'baked'. As long as individual morphs can't be extracted (i.e. morph is redistributed as 'baked' combination), it should be fine, commercial or not.
    I'd also suggest to open a ticket, pointing that product description in store doesn't specify anything special about using the result non-commercially.

I was just sharing what info I received from Thorne. Take it as you will.

• fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,565
    edited December 1969

Since the product description does not define the term "Merchant Resource", it is best to interpret it as meaning what that term usually means, which is that it is intended for commercial products, unless permission for freebies is explicitly stated.

• DAZ_ann0314DAZ_ann0314 Posts: 2,815
    edited December 1969

Since the product description does not define the term "Merchant Resource", it is best to interpret it as meaning what that term usually means, which is that it is intended for commercial products, unless permission for freebies is explicitly stated.

Being someone who owns a lot of merchant resources both from here and from Ro etc I can attest this is accurate. Usually they allow for the use of the item in a commercial product but not in free items unless specifically stated they are allowed for use with free items. With any merchant resource it is always best to ask when in doubt or to be sure to read the readme etc and to not assume something is allowed just because it doesn't say it isn't (I hope that makes sense) As they say, better safe then sorry :)

• Testing6790Testing6790 Posts: 1,091
    edited December 1969

Thanks for all the replies! I will consult the individual artists in the event that I want to share my completed morph