Best CPU for for performance

Hi Guys, I wanted to ask you all, what is the best CPU you would recommend for performance 

so that you don't get alot of lag such as viewing/working your models and animation on the viewport?

Thanks Winton

Comments

• In which application? Don't forget that, in most cases, your GPU will be a significant factor - as will the display settings/preferences.

• wintoonswintoons Posts: 371

In which application? Don't forget that, in most cases, your GPU will be a significant factor - as will the display settings/preferences.

Oh I mean Daz Studio. 

• nicsttnicstt Posts: 11,714

Doing what in Studio?

And, using what Rendering Engine?

nicstt said:

Doing what in Studio?

And, using what Rendering Engine?

Just animating and modelling. I find it that whenever I have a lot of characters or just objects on the screen and preview it on the 

viewport and moving it around using the mouse, I find it is really slow and lagging. So that's why I thought I would ask if that's more CPU performance.

• ebergerlyebergerly Posts: 3,255
    edited June 2018

As Richard mentioned, if you're using the Iray Viewport to manipulate your scene, your computer's GPU is the important factor. For most people, the CPU is fairly irrelevant when working in Iray unless you're taking the (very) slow route and using CPU rendering. 

Also, there are some settings you need to consider if you want the fastest viewport response:

1. Render Settings/General/Auto Headlamp = Never
    2. Draw Settings/Drawing/Response Threshold (msec) = 5000
    3. Draw Settings/Drawing/Inactive Viewport Delay = Off
    4. Edit/Preferences/Interface/Display Optimization = Best
    5. Use Perspective View when manipulating, since any Camera view is generally much slower, especially if you have a light parented to the camera like a headlamp 
    6. Avoid using "Point At" if you want your character's eyes to point at the camera. That will slow the camera view manipulation a lot.
    Post edited by ebergerly on
    ebergerly said:

As Richard mentioned, if you're using the Iray Viewport to manipulate your scene, your computer's GPU is the important factor. For most people, the CPU is fairly irrelevant when working in Iray unless you're taking the (very) slow route and using CPU rendering. 

Also, there are some settings you need to consider if you want the fastest viewport response:

5. Use Perspective View when manipulating, since any Camera view is generally much slower, especially if you have a light parented to the camera like a headlamp 
    6. Avoid using "Point At" if you want your character's eyes to point at the camera. That will slow the camera view manipulation a lot.

Thanks for that. But I have a problem, where do I access the bit where it says 'Drawing/Response Threshold (msec) = 5000'  ?

I can't find it. 

1.jpg
    913 x 760 - 248K

Go to Window/Panes/Draw Settings

ebergerly said:

Go to Window/Panes/Draw Settings

Yeah I did that, but I can't the bit where it says Draw Settings/Drawing/Inactive Viewport Delay = Off

edited June 2018

Second from the top....

EDIT: By the way, are you using "Photoreal" in the Drawing tab? 

Post edited by ebergerly on
    ebergerly said:

Second from the top....

EDIT: By the way, are you using "Photoreal" in the Drawing tab? 

Dude, I can't find those options at all. I'm in the Draw Settings but I can't find the Drawing tab. 

I did a screen shot and uploaded it its on the previous threads. 

• gitika1gitika1 Posts: 948

Drawing shows in the list on the left dependent on the DrawStyle selected in the drop down at the top.  It was on wire bounding box when I opened the window, so it was not present when I first looked either.  If you select Nvidia Iray - Drawing will appear in the list.

• gitika1gitika1 Posts: 948
    ebergerly said:

Thank you very much for these tips.  My new GPU arrived yesterday and I was wondering what setting I should adjust.  

gitika1 said:

Drawing shows in the list on the left dependent on the DrawStyle selected in the drop down at the top.  It was on wire bounding box when I opened the window, so it was not present when I first looked either.  If you select Nvidia Iray - Drawing will appear in the list.

Ohhhh!!!!! right now I get it. Sorry about that. Now I know LOL!!! 

Yeah I don't mean using Iray, just the texture shaded and smooth shaded. I find it that if I have alot of characters in a scene it gets very slow, not that its a big deal, I just like to know is there ways to 

speed it up.