RSSY Iray to 3Delight Converter

Thomas63Thomas63 Posts: 32
edited June 2018 in The Commons

RiverSoft Art & SickleYield,

Many thanks for the Iray to 3Delight converter. Dead easy to use, and this will make such a difference to those of us who use 3Delight all the time, or even just occasionally. Top marks! yes

Post edited by Thomas63 on

Comments

• kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,593

...a long time in coming but well worth the wait.

• SauronLivezSauronLivez Posts: 147
    +1 to the comments above. The prospect of converting shaders by hand has deterred me from buying quite a few products that are iray-only - including Sickleyield's set of beautiful water-splash series of props! Now I can buy a prop and not have to dread that hour of loading texture maps by hand and setting values! Yay! You can't really put a price on such a time saving utility - except you guys have, and it's exceptionally fair! Great work.
  • nicsttnicstt Posts: 11,714

I'm buying it; I don't use 3delight, as I never got on with it, but this seems simple.

• E.BruE.Bru Posts: 180

The script does not work in daz Studio 4.8? I can not download it manuell!

• ALLIEKATBLUEALLIEKATBLUE Posts: 2,962
    I read somewhere that there will be another script for 3delight to iray. Hope it comes out soon. Would love to convert an entire older product so easily.
  • HavosHavos Posts: 5,309
    I read somewhere that there will be another script for 3delight to iray. Hope it comes out soon. Would love to convert an entire older product so easily.

Poser to iRay would be even better, given the huge amount of products with Poser only shaders

• greymouser69greymouser69 Posts: 500
    Havos said:

Poser to iRay would be even better, given the huge amount of products with Poser only shaders

+1 to this one @sickleyield maybe your next project?  This would be a huge help for older products!

• kaotkblisskaotkbliss Posts: 2,914
    Havos said:

I would finally get a good look with the Dystopian bar that doesn't have any DS shaders/textures for it that I just haven't been able to get the look I want so far.

• davesodaveso Posts: 6,457

how does this work exactly? do character textures just convert over and look the same? I'm really not understanding as i dont know the diff in iray vs 3dl ..

• SickleYieldSickleYield Posts: 7,629
    Havos said:

+1 to this one @sickleyield maybe your next project?  This would be a huge help for older products!

I can't speak for the newest p10 shaders, but thanks to Riversoft Art's clever scripting our 3DL to Iray converter (upcoming) works just fine on legacy Poser content. I used it on Enchanted Forest myself today!
  • ArtiniArtini Posts: 8,874
    Havos said:

I can't speak for the newest p10 shaders, but thanks to Riversoft Art's clever scripting our 3DL to Iray converter (upcoming) works just fine on legacy Poser content. I used it on Enchanted Forest myself today!

Very interesting - I also have a lot of Poser content.

Havos said:

That is great, thanks. I don't expect (or care) that it would convert superfly shaders, but a lot of the older content I have (particularly environment and props) that was made 5+ years ago where made with Poser shaders only.

• kaotkblisskaotkbliss Posts: 2,914
    edited June 2018
    Havos said:

You wouldn't happen to have this https://www.daz3d.com/dystopia-destinations-hyperion-bar ?

Insta-buy when released if it works on that :)

*edit*

Doh, shaders, not textures. It wouldn't help with this I don't think :(

Post edited by kaotkbliss on
  • Griffin AvidGriffin Avid Posts: 3,758

I'll wait for those two powerhouses.

I'm not sure from the promos. Those don't look like full iray renders on the left side(s) or the comparison peomos..

I'm not even sure where the jaggies are coming from. Iray doesn't have jadgged edges.

I'll wait on some user feedback(s) and in-use stories.

I was thinking about an animation angle and speeding up the one-shot-image renders by going back to3Delight.

• Griffin AvidGriffin Avid Posts: 3,758

There's a lot of outdoor tropical sets that look horrible in iray. Would love to see those broght back to life.

daveso said:

how does this work exactly? do character textures just convert over and look the same? I'm really not understanding as i dont know the diff in iray vs 3dl ..

I imagine the textures are not altered at all, just the shaders which will work better with the renderer you are using (ie 3DL in the case of the product just released, Iray for the upcoming one)

I'll wait for those two powerhouses.

I'm not sure from the promos. Those don't look like full iray renders on the left side(s) or the comparison peomos..

I'm not even sure where the jaggies are coming from. Iray doesn't have jadgged edges.

I'll wait on some user feedback(s) and in-use stories.

I was thinking about an animation angle and speeding up the one-shot-image renders by going back to3Delight.

They aren't Iray renders at all. That's not a useful comparison. The left side is what you get if you render in 3Delight with Iray shaders and no conversion (which is why glass comes out black). The promos do say this in text.
    Havos said:
    daveso said:

I imagine the textures are not altered at all, just the shaders which will work better with the renderer you are using (ie 3DL in the case of the product just released, Iray for the upcoming one)

RA's script applies the Ubersurface shader with my settings. They apply to every mat zone appropriate to that zone (the eyes different from the lips, etc.). The texture maps remain the same unless you apply the optional normal map material preset (which just adds normal maps).

whats a normal map?

• greymouser69greymouser69 Posts: 500
    edited June 2018
    Havos said:

I agree with others in that I do not care about superfly content but I have a LOT of old poser content and still pick some old stuff up even now.  I recently grabbed a bunch of old DM products on Rendo at 70% off so this would be super handy!

Edit:  I snapped this one right up!  I still like to use both engines as my laptop only has a 1060 with 3gb vram and I will be doing the same with the other as soon as I see it!  I particularly love the feature that allows you to choose from other shaders you have installed instead of the default that come with the script.  I am a shader fanatic so I have lots for both 3dl and Iray.

Post edited by greymouser69 on
    edited June 2018
    daveso said:

whats a normal map?

Here's the Wiki article: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Normal_mapping

The short version is that a Normal map can be used to add a high degree of small surface details to a simpler mesh.  In the case of Genesis 8 I subdivided to around five million polygons in Zbrush, sculpted a bunch of pores and tiny lip folds and knuckle lines, etc., then I "baked" that detail into a map that DS can then read.  At render time the mesh can look more detailed than it is because of this map.  In Iray it can actually stand out from the mesh more than it appears to do in 3Delight, but 3Delight still can use normal maps. 

Edit: @greymouser69: I was pleased with that myself!  It also lets people replace the US skin shader with, for instance, the pwsurface2 one or the AoA SSS one if they have a mix they usually use.

Post edited by SickleYield on
  • Serene NightSerene Night Posts: 17,560

I picked it up and will give it a whirl on a couple images. I like 3dl and enjoy rendering both.

• RAMWolffRAMWolff Posts: 10,146

Bought it but I'm not seeing any dedicated skin shaders for conversion.  While I've created quite a few things that share both 3Delight and iRay I always like to test out others offerings to see if I can learn anything more to add to my technique for conversion... my Tommy and Tina for the Hive figures were my main examples offering both shader types for each rendering engine but of course I'm always open to one upping my efforts.  So which shader did you use for the skin tones hon?  

• GreymomGreymom Posts: 1,104
    Havos said:

Yes!   I would stand in line for this product!   I have a huge stock of Poser-shader-only products that I would like to use.

RAMWolff said:

Bought it but I'm not seeing any dedicated skin shaders for conversion.  While I've created quite a few things that share both 3Delight and iRay I always like to test out others offerings to see if I can learn anything more to add to my technique for conversion... my Tommy and Tina for the Hive figures were my main examples offering both shader types for each rendering engine but of course I'm always open to one upping my efforts.  So which shader did you use for the skin tones hon?  

They're under Shader Presets/RSSY Iray To 3delight Kit/Genesis 3 or 8 Materials.  They're based on UberSurface because 1. I like it and 2. this way there are no prerequisites that don't come bundled with Daz Studio and 3. it allows me to use the override/128 trick that speeds up transparencies significantly (the hair and water shaders use it, too).  If you already have a preferred shader doctrine for 3Delight you're probably going to want to stick with that, especially since I only covered G3 and G8 with this (since G3 was the first generation to offer any characters that had Iray-only support).

• RAMWolffRAMWolff Posts: 10,146

Ok, I'll check it out when I get it all installed and look it over.  Thanks!  

• wsterdanwsterdan Posts: 2,339

It's in my cart, but before purchasing I was wondering how it works with skins generated from your "Beautiful Skin Genesis 3 Bundle". I never picked up the bundle because it was iRay-only, but if your converter works well with the bundle I want to add it to the cart before purchasing.

-- Walt Sterdan

edited June 2018
    EDIT: original post is backwards. Using BSI with 3DL you apply BSI first, then the converter script. (Original below)

You want to apply the converter first and BSI afterwards (same with any other skin combo with the script).  If you do that it works fine!

Post edited by SickleYield on
  • grinch2901grinch2901 Posts: 1,246

I don't use 3Delight really so not sure I'll pick this one up but I'm excited to see a collaboration between too vendors each of which I will typically buy 75% of whatever they put out individually.  I hope this collaboration does well and I can't wait to see what cool ideas your two creative and clever minds come up with together.

You want to apply the converter first and BSI afterwards (same with any other skin combo with the script).  If you do that it works fine

wow ... somethign else to learn ... so apply the converter to the default G3F or G8? then the beautiful skin or even like Anagenesis, Skin Builder, Altern8. etc?