Make Your Most Realistic Renders – Ever!

Comments

• HeadwaxHeadwax Posts: 9,924
    edited December 1969

Hey very simple to use, renders much faster than I expected thank you. Here's my first go, only post was to fix poke through of mouse foot on pinnochio;s arm. Feeback, very informative PDF. Had a bit of a brain infarct trying to find the shaders till I realised I had to add the folder.
    So this one has your bright eye's product.

AndrewFinniepinocchio.jpg
    1600 x 1809 - 345K
  • Philemo_CarraraPhilemo_Carrara Posts: 1,175
    edited December 1969

head wax said:
    Hey very simple to use, renders much faster than I expected thank you. Here's my first go, only post was to fix poke through of mouse foot on pinnochio;s arm. Feeback, very informative PDF.

That's what I'm looking for. I don't fancy canned content, but I'm eager to learn from artists better than me.
    In the same line of product, I've bought Tim Payne's Carrara Skies Lightdomes and I've used as much the information I could gather from it (PDF and how it's done) as the preset. I'm now routinely producing my own lightdomes in relation with what I need.

I'm hoping the same with Philw's product. Like most of us I think, I've bought phil advances training tutorials and I enjoyed it a lot. Therefore, I feel confident I'll enjoy this product.

• Rhian-SkybladeRhian-Skyblade Posts: 223
    edited August 2013

Not certain if those count as "almost" realistic looking. But that's what I managed so far.
    (hate being at work and not having a chance to play around with new scenes... *cry*... but money makes the world go round lala)

All safe at work ;-) unless beetles and dragons are considered mature content :-p

http://rhian-skyblade.deviantart.com/art/Dragon-Hunt-Skyrim-270666067 (used here one of the sky domes settings - took me almost 3 days to render... My a...backside)

http://rhian-skyblade.deviantart.com/art/FanArt-of-Hive-53-183208740 (this one has only mild IBL... and came out a bit too bright)

The lightning of outdoor scenes always has been my greatest bane... at least when I want it to look somewhat right.
    Still working on my full moon scene... will take a while.

Post edited by Rhian-Skyblade on
  • PhilWPhilW Posts: 5,139
    edited December 1969

Philemo - Thanks for your interest. Yes it works in C7.2. If you have any issues, let me know on here (or confirm it works OK!). You can always use the DAZ money-back guarantee if needed (but hopefully not!)

Head Wax - thanks for the feedback and sharing your render!.

• Philemo_CarraraPhilemo_Carrara Posts: 1,175
    edited December 1969

PhilW said:
    Philemo - Thanks for your interest. Yes it works in C7.2. If you have any issues, let me know on here (or confirm it works OK!). You can always use the DAZ money-back guarantee if needed (but hopefully not!)

Bought :-).
    I don't have the time to test it before tomorrow, but I'll tell you then.

edited December 1969

Philemo said:
    PhilW said:

Bought :-).
    I don't have the time to test it before tomorrow, but I'll tell you then.

Thank you - I hope you enjoy it and get great results!

edited December 1969

PhilW said:

Head Wax - thanks for the feedback and sharing your render!.

pleasure :)

• 3dn3dn Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Model from GrabCAD,
    rendered with Carrara 8 Pro

3dn

pool2.jpg
    1280 x 720 - 495K
  • evilproducerevilproducer Posts: 9,040
    edited December 1969

3dn said:
    Model from GrabCAD,
    rendered with Carrara 8 Pro

3dn

Nicely done! Great lighting! If you want to play with the shaders, you could use a noise function to make the balls look a bit scuffed.

• DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,223
    edited December 1969

Very cool! Yours too, Head Wax!

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,812
    edited December 1969

doing an ani for church, highly modified HF Stoney creek
    rendered ground texture with normal map and deleted all the pebbles and forest litter and swapped it also new water texture
    my own simple lighting, just one distant and a low camera light with no shadows

anyway no gamma and Gamma 2.2 versions
    I prefer no gamma myself on this

gamma.png
    1920 x 1080 - 4M
    animated_StoneyCreek.png
    1920 x 1080 - 4M
  • cdordonicdordoni Posts: 583
    edited December 1969

The render without the gamma does look better, especially the grass.

Curiously, the bridge looks exactly the same in both renders as far as I can tell.

• JonstarkJonstark Posts: 2,738
    edited August 2013

Rhiana, your dragon hunt render is Wow! Must have taken a minute or two to render that nice and complex a scene, eh? Really good work, though it does look like the V4 is in an awkward position and about to become lunch :)

Headwax, excellent work (as always) love the wood textures

3dn, great lighting, looks very realistic.

Wendy, I'm pretty sure I differ in opinion, I think the gamma version looks better

Post edited by Jonstark on
    edited December 1969

thanks Johnstark and Dart :)

edited December 1969

head wax said:
    thanks Johnstark and Dart :)

It's the eyes that keep me coming back to that render again and again... there's something arresting about seeing normal eyes in that wooden head :)

• Rhian-SkybladeRhian-Skyblade Posts: 223
    edited December 1969

Jonstark said:
    Rhiana, your dragon hunt render is Wow! Must have taken a minute or two to render that nice and complex a scene, eh? Really good work, though it does look like the V4 is in an awkward position and about to become lunch :)

Thank you Jonstark. Yes it took me a few retries and days to get that one done.
    Complexity and details are my major weakness. Good there wasn't any water involved, or I might have died of a heart attack from all those hissy fits ;-)

As for my girl being in awkward position. Nah, she's about to "dragon shout" the poo out of him :)
    Poor dragon. I always felt so sorry in Skyrim for the poor flying lizards.

edited December 1969

Wendy, nice scene and an interesting comparison. Do you have ambient lighting turned up in the gamma scene? If you reduce that (not nesessarily eliminate it, but turn it down) I think you may end up with the best of both worlds?

• edited August 2013

Hi all,
    Some pretty interesting stuff in this thread, my compliments to all, i also had a go here & there and came
    across an issue or two related to using gamma correction in a render.

1. Using gamma correction lights up a backdrop you might have in place

2. SSS gets blown out when rendering with gamma enabled.

I have submitted a support ticket for the above, if anyone has noticed any other undesirable effects
    as a result of using gamma in a render then post it here with maybe a pic and i will add the issue to
    my report.

Probibly makes sense to have all issues in the one report in the hopes that they'll get sorted as a
    job lot.

Cheers
    Paul

Post edited by pscammp_2e78c43842 on
    edited December 1969

pscammp said:
    Hi all,
    Some pretty interesting stuff in this thread, my compliments to all, i also had a go here & there and came
    across an issue or two related to using gamma correction in a render.

1. Using gamma correction lights up a backdrop you might have in place

2. SSS gets blown out when rendering with gamma enabled.

I have submitted a support ticket for the above, if anyone has noticed any other undesirable effects
    as a result of using gamma in a render then post it here with maybe a pic and i will add the issue to
    my report.

Probibly makes sense to have all issues in the one report in the hopes that they'll get sorted as a
    job lot.

Cheers
    Paul

Hi Paul and thanks for submitting that. Do you know if there is an opportunity to add comments for support tickets, in the same way that you could add comments and support for things on the old bugtracker? I would very much support this!

edited December 1969

The exceptions that I had spotted previously are backgrounds and backdrops, and also Carrara dynamic hair, if you could include that too, that would be great.

• dowddowd Posts: 9
    edited December 1969

Got around to trying out the gamma correction thing, interesting.
    This is my first try with genesis in Carrara 8.5, had to feel my way around with that, but fun anyway.
    I placed a spot behind the figure and used two point lights to light the sence with no ambient.
    the first render was dark as the main shadow fell across the front of her face which is what I wanted but with a little gamma thrown in things change alot.
    Thanks for the tip

gencarraratest2JP.jpg
    1024 x 768 - 63K
  • edited December 1969

Phil W,
    Hav'nt got a clue if others can add to it, does'nt seem to be like the old bug tracker was, only just
    managed to work out how to submit one.

Added Hair and Background to the mix along with shadow catchers as these are blown out exactly like
    the backdrop/backgrounds. Did'nt see a huge blowout on the hair though ill attach a pic which i have
    added to my ticket. First shows a backdrop, a few statues (one with basic hair), a candle with SSS and
    all objects are sitting on shadow catchers.

Heres the pic, promise not to laugh, just chucked them together quick:

With_Gamma.jpg
    650 x 488 - 186K
    Normal.jpg
    650 x 488 - 207K
  • edited December 1969

Phil W,
    Notice also that the dark/black parts of the textures on the statues appear not to be lightened
    in any way by the gamma whereas the light areas are affected. I've also highlighted this in the
    ticket.

Which pic shows your issue with the hair, i could also load this pic up so they can see the effect
    you have ????

Regards
    Paul

edited December 1969

Thanks for this, Paul. I have included a couple of quick tests that show the difference in hair color, you can see it is a totally different (ie. washed out!) shade.

HairWithGamma.jpg
    640 x 480 - 19K
    HairNoGamma.jpg
    640 x 480 - 20K
  • edited December 1969

Done a quick search on Google ref Gamma Correction at render time, theres some
    quite interesting info out there, heres a link to one.

http://download.autodesk.com/global/docs/softimage2013/en_us/userguide/index.html?url=files/interface_DisplayingandRenderingGammaCorrection.htm,topicNumber=d30e67444

Note pic A has a bleached floor whereas Pic B does'nt, i wonder if this is whats causing the
    hair in your pics to be blown out ???

edited December 1969

In my pics, the first is with gamma correction on and the lower one without gamma (although curiously they were the other way around when I posted them!). You can see that the skin tone looks the same, but there is more light in the shadow areas with gamma - this is because the skin textures are being "ungamma-ed" before the render calculations, and then gamma applied to the final image, while this is NOT happening with the hair, which is why it looks bleached out. This should be fixed as per your support ticket - I'm happy to be mentioned as supporting and wanting this!

• Chris Fox ArtChris Fox Art Posts: 380
    edited December 1969

it's been a while since i was working with 3d and looking at this thread but after purchasing the final version of Carrara 8.5 Pro i also decided to buy the Carrara Studio Plugin.
    As i am still downloading it i am wondering if the render is the same or is it like the function for LuxRender?
    And i am wondering if there still will be the way to make the gamma correction?

edited December 1969

Portrait Studio isn't really a 'plugin' (at least as I understand the term), it's a series of pre-made scenes for Carrara, so you render in Carrara normally, and in fact Philw has it preset so that it is already set with gamma correction 2.2.

Basically you just load one of Philw's scenes, put in your characters and pose, and render.

edited December 1969

it's been a while since i was working with 3d and looking at this thread but after purchasing the final version of Carrara 8.5 Pro i also decided to buy the Carrara Studio Plugin.
    As i am still downloading it i am wondering if the render is the same or is it like the function for LuxRender?
    And i am wondering if there still will be the way to make the gamma correction?

Jon has already explained it fine, but just to say that the gamma correction thing emerged from doing comparisons between the rendered output from Carrara and that from Luxrender, and realising that (with some limitations) setting the gamma to 2.2 and using certain types of lighting, I could actually get very close to Luxrender's output, but in a fraction of the time (and still using all of Carrara's features such as hair). The Carrara Portrait Studio uses that learning and puts it into a set of easy to use lighting scenes.

• Chris Fox ArtChris Fox Art Posts: 380
    edited December 1969

thank you very much for the informations! :)
    can't wait to test the portrait studio out until DAZ has fixed the Serial issue for C8.5Pro