Combine 2 primitives

ruekakaruekaka Posts: 346
edited December 1969 in Hexagon Discussion

Hi everybody,

this is obviously a newbie question, but I can't find a way to combine two primitives.

Just as an example: I create 2 sphere objects, move them together and want them combine to one single object.
I found the group functionality, but that's only grouping as expected.
I also found the Boolean operation that removes the overlapping part, but how can I do the opposite, a union of both objects?

Comments

• Design AcrobatDesign Acrobat Posts: 459
    edited December 1969

You can use boolean, but can end up with some messy polygons (n-gons, etc.)

If you do it with sphere primitives, go to the second choice on the right hand panel and choose the second choice (Geodesic sphere based on a cube) and you will get somewhat cleaner results. (see image)

Using modeling tools is always the best way. What were you trying to design?

geodesic_sphere.jpg
    640 x 502 - 105K
  • stem_athomestem_athome Posts: 516
    edited December 1969

ruekaka said:
    I also found the Boolean operation that removes the overlapping part, but how can I do the opposite, a union of both objects?

While the boolean tool is active, look at the right hand properties window. It shows the different type of booleans, which you can select by clicking on the little icons. You can also toggle through the options by pressing the "+/-" keys on the number pad.

• ruekakaruekaka Posts: 346
    edited December 1969

Thanks for your help, unbelievable how long I searched for this :-)
    I never recognised the small images in the properties window.

At the moment I just try to find out how the modelling with Hexagon works, so it's not for a special design.

Again, thanks!