Leif, not Lief...

Leif Erikson or Leif Ericson was a Norse explorer from Iceland. Leif, not Lief...

Comments

• maikdeckermaikdecker Posts: 2,750
    mars00195 said:

Leif Erikson or Leif Ericson was a Norse explorer from Iceland. Leif, not Lief...

Common problem of native english speakers - mostly those US ones though - as pronounciation is kinda tricky for them on that one, so they write as they pronounce. For the same reason the "Wiener Sausage" usually turns out to be a "Weiner Sausage" in the USA, totally destroying the connection to the austrian capital Wien / Vienna

• Victor_BVictor_B Posts: 391

According to Google Translate "Wiener Sausage" and "Weiner Sausage" has identical pronounciation (such as Leif and Lief). That's strange.

Why we are talking about this?...

• Sfariah DSfariah D Posts: 25,678
    Victor_B said:

According to Google Translate "Wiener Sausage" and "Weiner Sausage" has identical pronounciation (such as Leif and Lief). That's strange.

No clue. Is it Ericsson or Erickson?  Or a different spelling?

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,784

need a Life maybe or just save it to File.

• nonesuch00nonesuch00 Posts: 17,922

LOL, OK then, I've always heard it pronounced Lafe 

mars00195 said:

we talk about this (above)

Victor_B said:

...because people don't know much about "proper" pronounciation and google knows nothin, Jim Snow!

Wien, the capital of Austria (the one in europe, not the continent, which offers an additional _lia but lacks an _i) is in german - the language spoken in Austria - pronounced Ween. So a Wiener Sausage would have to be pronounced likewise, as a Weener Sausage. If it was Weiner Sausage in german, it would be pronounced as Whiner Sausage. But it isn't. And wrong spelling won't make a Whiner out of a Weener... As Wien is Vienna in english, the proper name for a Wiener Sausage would be Viennese Sausage anyway...

That famous icelandic guy who invented america is in his homelands pronounced as Life, not Leef, Leaf or anywhere close to that. If he WAS to be pronounced like that, the Lief spelling would be correct.

There's quite a few more "americanized" words from european languages which's spelling/pronounciation combinations make the native users of the original words either giggle or shake their heads...

Yeah, in America there are a few places called Ver-Sail-Lees and not Ver-Sigh

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited June 2018

yeah,  how do you guys pronounce Greenwich as in Greenwich village over there   (Greenwich meantime and Greenwich as a borough in Greater London over here)

Post edited by Chohole on

grennik probably cheeky

th3Digit said:

grennik probably cheeky

close but no cigar,   more like grenich;  the ch being soft like in cheese or chutney

• How about Bosham? Or Scarborough?

edited June 2018
    Chohole said:

yeah,  how do you guys pronounce Greenwich as in Greenwich village over there   (Greenwich meantime and Greenwich as a borough in Greater London over here)

I've never heard Greenwich pronounced by an American but when I read I say 'Greenwitch' village in my head. It comes out Grinritch when I say it out loud, some people tongue's just won't say some sounds. There is Greenwich Village on Manhattan Island, a Greenwich, Connecticut, and probably more.

Post edited by nonesuch00 on
  • Serene NightSerene Night Posts: 17,558

Not I. I’ve heard it pronounced gren-nich. This is because It used to be mentioned on the news quite a bit due to the time thing so we learned to pronounce it properly.

• NathNath Posts: 2,713

I can only think of the Nancy Sinatra song "Greenwich Village folksong salesman", and there it's greenwitch.

And I'd just as lief have Leif spelled correctly LOL

I still have to say 'i' before 'e' except after 'c' when I spell native English words and what really drives me bonkers is that I was taught correct spellings of words when I was a child so for words like colour and color, well both are correct, but now you with computerized autocorrect that SW always picks the spelling that originated in America if you choose American English dictionary even though the alternate spelling are always still correct too. Thankfully, some words like nite, lite, and rite for night, light, and right apparently got dumped sometime after some group was trying to push them as "Standardized American English".

How do you pronounce Daz?  Daaaahz or what?

• TangoAlphaTangoAlpha Posts: 4,584

Gren-itch. Boss-um. Scar-brah

wink

How about Loughborough, Gloucester?

I know how to pronounce Victoria and Monique, but what about Aiko?

wink

and we could also think of people's names, such as StJohn

Chohole said:

wink

and we could also think of people's names, such as StJohn

Not St John's Wort?

edited June 2018

I am sure the original Leif did not use Roman letters and our spelling either if he even wrote his name,

names as far as I know can be spelt many ways, Leigh, Lee, Neal, Neil, Ann, Anne, rules were relatively recenty invented by educators in snotty private schools.

Post edited by WendyLuvsCatz on
    th3Digit said:

I am sure the original Leif did not use Roman letters and our spelling either if he even wrote his name,

names as far as I know can be spelt many ways, Leigh, Lee, Neal, Neil, Ann, Anne, rules were relatively recenty invented by educators in snotty private schools.

Why does it have to be a snotty private school?

• Cayman StudiosCayman Studios Posts: 1,131

Musn't forget Raymond Luxury Yacht

edited June 2018
    th3Digit said:

Given Name LEIF
    From the Old Norse name Leifr meaning "descendant, heir". Leif Eriksson was a Norse explorer who reached North America in the early 11th century. He was the son of Erik the Red.
    Given Name Neil
    From the Gaelic name Niall, which is of disputed origin, possibly meaning "champion" or "cloud". This was the name of a semi-legendary 4th-century Irish king, Niall of the Nine Hostages.
    Given Name LEIGH
    From a surname which was a variant of LEE.
    Given Name LEE
    From a surname which was derived from Old English leah meaning "clearing".  FEMININE FORM: Leigh
    Given Name ANN
    English form of ANNE  In the English-speaking world, both this spelling and Anne have been used since the Middle Ages, though Ann became much more popular during the 19th century.
    Given Name ANNE
    French form of ANNA. In the 13th-century it was imported to England, where it was also commonly spelled Ann.

Well if that is the meaning of Leif than I doubt that that was really his given name. It sounds like a generic adjective a saga writer would use decades after the fact.

Well I don't care if my doctors went to snotty private or public schools as long as they were meticulous about spelling and recognize that sometimes things are spelled differently, including some scientific phylla names.

edited June 2018

Well if that is the meaning of Leif than I doubt that that was really his given name. It sounds like a generic adjective a saga writer would use decades after the fact.

Well I don't care if my doctors went to snotty private or public schools as long as they were meticulous about spelling and recognize that sometimes things are spelled differently, including some scientific phylla names.

Actually a lot of different socities use  a name to describe what the person is as well as who they are, so Leif being the eldest son is indeed quite possible as a name.  Some racial groups name their children so that people know what day of the week they were born as well, they have special names for it,  so if (for example) you meet a ghanaian of Akan ethnicity whose name is Kofi then you will know he was born on a Friday, or if he is Kwame than he was born on a Saturday. They also have names which show hat number child they were, special names for twin born and other naming conventions

The old nordics were great fans of names having a meaning and especially names showing a person's heritage. So Leif Eric(k)sson would probably quite fitting for "Eric(k)'s son and heir" in defining him as a person.

Really nice names of that type are nowadays still found lots in Iceland. One of the greatest in my opinion would be "Dotta Dottasdottir"  devil

And as a little personal tidbit: My first name is "Maik", which is in german pronounced like Mike in english. When my father went to the registry office to get that name in my birthrecord, the man responsible to fill out the form asked him about the spelling and if my father wouldn't want it to be "Mike" (which, in the 1960's was becoming a fashion as a name) on which my father replied "No, my son's name isn't supposed an abbreviation of "Michael". And as there's the (german) girl's name Maike (or also Meike ) there should be no problem with a male version."
    So I became the first ever Maik in my hometown...

Chohole said:

Actually a lot of different socities use  a name to describe what the person is as well as who they are, so Leif being the eldest son is indeed quite possible as a name.  Some racial groups name their children so that people know what day of the week they were born as well, they have special names for it,  so if (for example) you meet a ghanaian of Akan ethnicity whose name is Kofi then you will know he was born on a Friday, or if he is Kwame than he was born on a Saturday. They also have names which show hat number child they were, special names for twin born and other naming conventions

Hmmm, I only known one person born in Ghana and he told me about his mother and father and the not not so great marriage system she had to put up with but his name was typical western style name but maybe he adopted that name when he went to university. He was very surprised that I guess his last name was derived from Dahomey. And that man did not like Kofi Annan one bit laugh I guess he knew more about Mr Annan than the rest of the world knew. laugh

• FirstBastionFirstBastion Posts: 7,308
    Victor_B said:

According to Google Translate

google is hardly the authority on anything.