Workflow Help Please? Can this be done in Carrara?

HeadwaxHeadwax Posts: 9,927
edited July 2013 in Carrara Discussion

Hi I'm stll using the non beta version ( the first beta screwed my runtime whinge whinge moan moan ) : )

I'm doing a scene for the monthly challenge, thought I might do some motorbike racers up close.

So what I would like to do is make a kind of humanlike figure rippling with the speed of his motorbike, with his clothes being dragged behind him in the wind, his face distorted as in those films you see of skydivers.

I am using man2 from the objects folder and would like to wrap him around M4 or similar.

So if I was going to use Poser my workflow would be this :

Iin Carrara I would make the Man2 mesh (converted from facettes and smoothed) fit M4 as close as possible.
M4 doesn't have to be posed as I will rig the man2Object to his bones.
Next I would export the man2object, import it into Poser. I would load up m4 into poser and make him lie down face up.
Then take it all into the cloth room and drape the man2 object ontop of m4,
I would probably export this as a morph object.
Once that was organised I would rig the man2 object in Carrara and try the morph out. If it didn't work I would just rig the
man2 draped object.

So I wonder how to do this in Carrara without using Poser?
Can I eg use the wind force to get a similar effect? Or do a similar drape.
I have tried to get bullet physics to do a cloth sim but gave up after about twenty useless goes.
If I upgrade to 8.5 will it work okay? Or is the only real way to do the windforce effect in Carrara is to do it by hand?

I've watched the flag tutorial , will doing it like that work do you think - ie pinning some verticie in places?

thanks in advance

Post edited by Headwax on

Comments

• 0oseven0oseven Posts: 626
    edited December 1969

You could try something on the face with "Deformers"

Tab Animation/ Attach deformer / Magnet

This is a quick way to get some weird effects but need a good mesh. Not sure the object you are using is ok.

Very quick example picture is vicky4 - magnet on head and another on the skirt

Doc8.jpg
    640 x 480 - 48K
  • 3DAGE3DAGE Posts: 3,311
    edited December 1969

I agree,. the magnet deformer would work for the figure,.

for the clothing,. you could also use the magnet ,. or try softbody, on clothing models you make in carrara,. and you could use Softbody attach, plus a force,. or several,. to create the wind effect.

:)

• HeadwaxHeadwax Posts: 9,927
    edited July 2013

beautiful O0oseven! I've never used magnets!

Thanks Andy, I will have a go at that as well.

And idea occurred to me. I wonder if you could use drop to the floor, or whatever it's called and use the resulting flat mesh as a morph target and then dial it up only slightly.

And then I re alised it would only make the mesh fatter or thinner oops

Post edited by Headwax on
  • DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,235
    edited December 1969

Right, but making morphs would still be fun, too! Soft select - keeping the number fairly low for this - and drag the verts w a y too far away than they should be, so that you have the flexibility. This, of course, coming from another whom has yet to try magnets in Carrara. One of these days, though.... one of these days!