name an object in DAZ Studio scene returns nothing in help or forums beyond stupid

edited December 1969 in The Commons

Name an object in DAZ Studio scene returns nothing in help or forums. This is beyond stupid

Comments

• Herald of FireHerald of Fire Posts: 3,504
    edited December 1969

Name an object in DAZ Studio scene returns nothing in help or forums. This is beyond stupid

I read this countless times and I'm still no closer to deciphering exactly what you're talking about.
  • edited July 2013

I created a scene. I imported a Second Life female figure. I added a cube to simulate a musical keyboard. I looked at the scene on the right I have SL_Female and cube. I want to rename these objects. I can find no answer to the simple question "How do I name an object in a DAZ Studio Scene" Even a simple you can't do that would be welcome. Several DAZ help, DAZ forums and Google return nothing...DAZ searches all specifically say no matching topic found on even the word name. What is up with this? As rephrase my previous statement in 28 years as a professional software engineer even before there was an internet searching for the word "name" would return something.

Post edited by cameron.farella_4087655410 on
  • BlackFeather1973BlackFeather1973 Posts: 739
    edited July 2013

I'm taking a wild guess here, but i think you mean : "Hi, i want to rename an object in my scene, but i don't know how and i can't find anything on it in the documentation or here on the forum. Anyone knows how to do this ?"

With the object selected, click on it's name in the scene tab and you should be able to rename it.

Edit : you already clarified your question, while i was typing my reply. Looks like i guessed right. : - )

Post edited by BlackFeather1973 on
  • edited December 1969

Thank you that worked I have no idea why something so simple isn't documented but I can guess. I won 5 awards for my help files at Microsoft because I always assumed that the reader did think that the coffee cup holder was a cd rom drive. lol

• Herald of FireHerald of Fire Posts: 3,504
    edited December 1969

Sometimes the obvious isn't always so obvious. Glad you got it sorted out.

• ghastlycomicghastlycomic Posts: 2,528
    edited December 1969

I'm constantly opening the rename option by accident because I click an item but my system lags in selecting it so I click it again thinking I didn't click it right and then both clicks register.

• KeryaKerya Posts: 10,943
    edited December 1969

Another possibility is rightclick and rename ...

• ariocharioch Posts: 165
    edited December 1969

Kerya said:
    Another possibility is rightclick and rename ...

This works in Content Library but not in the Scene tab (or in Smart Content, for that matter). This would be a much better method of renaming objects than the single click method. I, too, at times mistakenly enter rename mode when I click on an object already selected.

As a software developer, single click rename is bad, bad, bad practice!

• MistaraMistara Posts: 38,675
    edited December 1969

i have another stupid question that is probably so obvious.

when i click on the surfaces tab but i have nothing selected in the scene (without realizing it) the stupid thing closes and my preview window resizes.

this is a real stupid pain in the patootie to me. ouch ouch ouch, lol

can i lock those tabs so that it won't close and resize my preview when nothing in scene is selected?

thanks!

• robkelkrobkelk Posts: 3,259
    edited July 2013

Thank you that worked I have no idea why something so simple isn't documented but I can guess.

For that to be documented, they'd actually have to write documentation... Not just the online "answers" - an actual manual, with a structure, a table of contents, and an index. It's the only way to make sure to describe all the functions, not just the functions that "look cool" to the documenter(s).

Daz Studio hasn't had a manual since version 3...

Post edited by robkelk on
  • SzarkSzark Posts: 10,634
    edited December 1969

when i click on the surfaces tab but i have nothing selected in the scene (without realizing it) the stupid thing closes and my preview window resizes.

can i lock those tabs so that it won't close and resize my preview when nothing in scene is selected?

thanks!

Sounds to me you are catching the Side pane collapse button that is at the mid vertical point on the inner edge of the side pane boarder.

If this is not the case then go to Windows > Workspace > Select layout and take note of what Layout you are currently in and then change it to another and hit Apply and then change it back and hit Accept.

Now if you have customised your User Interface already then Save the Layout (Windows > Workspace > Save Layout and give it a name, then follow the instructions above. Not promising it will fix it but UI issues are normally solved this way... generally. :- )

• SiscaSisca Posts: 875
    edited December 1969

Szark said:

thanks!

Sounds to me you are catching the Side pane collapse button that is at the mid vertical point on the inner edge of the side pane boarder.

If this is not the case then go to Windows > Workspace > Select layout and take note of what Layout you are currently in and then change it to another and hit Apply and then change it back and hit Accept.

Now if you have customised your User Interface already then Save the Layout (Windows > Workspace > Save Layout and give it a name, then follow the instructions above. Not promising it will fix it but UI issues are normally solved this way... generally. :- )

It could also be that you're clicking on the already highlighted tab. So if Surfaces is the current tab and you click it again it will hide the tab, and all the tabs on that side of the screen. Not sure if you can actually disable that function or not.

• SzarkSzark Posts: 10,634
    edited December 1969

Indeed Sisca thanks for adding that.

• SiscaSisca Posts: 875
    edited December 1969

Szark said:
    Indeed Sisca thanks for adding that.

That was the first thing I thought of because I get bit by it at least once an hour in DS. You'd think I'd learn to look before I click.