Rigging Figures

edited December 1969 in Daz Studio Discussion

I have a model, I have a already rigged figure, for the sake of argument say genesis. I want to copy the rigging from Genesis to the new model. I cannot find a utility anywhere or a tutorial on how to do this. How do I do this, or do my non-humans-that-won't-work-as-morphs have to function more as suits?

Comments

• ghastlycomicghastlycomic Posts: 2,528
    edited December 1969

Use the transfer utility and replace source with target.

• PendraiaPendraia Posts: 3,591
    edited July 2013

Use the transfer utility and replace source with target.

Transfer utility should do it. I recently transferred rigging to a non genesis character in DS. No projection template so I needed to remove unused bones and because I was making a skirt I changed the names on legs from thigh and shin to upper and lower handles.

What I would like to know...is how Sickle created her projection templates. Now I have the skirt if I knew how to save it as a template it would save me time next time. I'll have to investigate if no one knows...
    edited to add rigging was from a character other than genesis also.

Post edited by Pendraia on
  • Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 96,718
    edited December 1969

Note that the Transfer Utility works only if the overall shape si close to Genesis - or whatever you are using as your source. If the arms, for example, are lower on the torso or stick out at forty-five degrees then you will; get a mess. Also note that you may not distribute a model rigged with Genesis (or another item) used as a donor unless it's an add-on for Genesis (or the other model), such as clothing or hair, though you'd be free to use it for your own renders.

edited December 1969

Note that the Transfer Utility works only if the overall shape si close to Genesis - or whatever you are using as your source. If the arms, for example, are lower on the torso or stick out at forty-five degrees then you will; get a mess. Also note that you may not distribute a model rigged with Genesis (or another item) used as a donor unless it's an add-on for Genesis (or the other model), such as clothing or hair, though you'd be free to use it for your own renders.

Hi Richard,

Not sure if your post is in response to mine but genesis wasn't involved at all. Using a different figure that is weight mapped using DS I created a skirt for it that I then transferred the rigging from the character to the skirt.

So copyright wouldn't apply...I'm not sure what the OP is planning on using as their source.

Cheers

Pen

edited December 1969

I was just dotting is and crossing Ts, since the issue had come up.

• edited December 1969

So, wait. I can't use the rigging from genesis or the other figures? I thought it was only the Geometry, aka the model I couldn't use. If I can't use any of the rigging, there's no reason to use daz studio at all, I might as well do everything in blender. Sure it will take longer but if I have to do all the work to begin with, why bother with Daz studio to make any game or anything.

edited December 1969

I was just dotting is and crossing Ts, since the issue had come up.

Fair enough...looks like it was a good thing you mentioned it. ; )

edited December 1969

So, wait. I can't use the rigging from genesis or the other figures? I thought it was only the Geometry, aka the model I couldn't use. If I can't use any of the rigging, there's no reason to use daz studio at all, I might as well do everything in blender. Sure it will take longer but if I have to do all the work to begin with, why bother with Daz studio to make any game or anything.

If you are using custom models that's probably true, yes.

• CypherFOXCypherFOX Posts: 3,401
    edited July 2013

Greetings,

You can use it for your own renders, but you can't redistribute it. (I believe that a Game Dev license would allow you to distribute the rigging as part of your game, if your game uses it.)

If you've got a game, you're not rendering images and you're using any part of existing characters, rigging, textures, geometry, they're all copyrighted, and you need a game dev license.

If you're building a character to redistribute, i.e. sell or give away, then AFAIK there is no license that lets you do that except getting a written agreement with DAZ, and I think those are few and far between.

If you're just doing renders with the content, however, you're fine.

More info about what you're actually trying to do would probably help.

-- Morgan

Post edited by CypherFOX on
  • patience55patience55 Posts: 7,006
    edited December 1969

You can rig original figures in D/S and there is a tutorial available to illustrate the basic "how to".

http://www.daz3d.com/rigging-original-figures-in-ds4-pro

Once you have your own rig completed, you can copy that over to as many new original figures as you like.

edited December 1969

You can rig original figures in D/S and there is a tutorial available to illustrate the basic "how to".

Once you have your own rig completed, you can copy that over to as many new original figures as you like.

That's a valuable tutorial as is her advanced rigging one...certainly worth the investment.

• patience55patience55 Posts: 7,006
    edited December 1969

Pendraia said:

That's a valuable tutorial as is her advanced rigging one...certainly worth the investment.

I think so too. And here's the link for that: http://www.daz3d.com/advanced-rigging-in-daz-studio-4-pro