Dealing with OBJ Collections

I have resisted learning modeling but lately I have had to rely on Turbosquid for models to use in DS not found in DAZ world. Mostly I have managed but one thing that is holding me back is that many of the meshes I want to import are single OBJ files that are collections of separate props. No way to separately click on individual items. How do I split these collections into separate OBJs to import into DS? I have both Hexagon and Blender... neither of which I have really used so far. I'm hoping Hexagon is all I need to accomplish this, as honestly Blender throws me. One way or another though, I need to crack this nut.

Thanks in advance

Comments

• greymouser69greymouser69 Posts: 499

You might also be able to use the geometry editor tool within DS itself to do what you want without purchasing additional software.  Otherwise Hex and Blender can both do what you want.

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 96,809

If the models are grouped you could also turn them into figures, with a bone for each part to alow for moving them arond and hiding them.

• kaotkblisskaotkbliss Posts: 2,914

I've cut a number of single objects into multiple objects with Hex. It's pretty easy.

What I do is use the select by surface option, select a bunch of polys I want in 1 group and do a cut/paste. I keep doing this until all the polys for the new object are no longer part of the original object.

Then I select all the new pieces and do a weld to put them all back together into an object of their own. You should now have 2 objects, your original piece minus the new piece you removed.

• mikethe3dguymikethe3dguy Posts: 515

Thanks for the suggestions guys! kaotkbliss I'm going to start by trying that in Hex. smiley

• mikethe3dguymikethe3dguy Posts: 515

Oh man, thanks again kaotkbliss! That technique did the trick! Coupled with "Show Selection Only", it was a breeze!

• kaotkblisskaotkbliss Posts: 2,914

Glad I could finally offer someone some good advice :D