Oso Furry - how does it work

I'm impressed by the new fur shaders, but how does it work?  How does it compare to LAMH?

Comments

• BeeMKayBeeMKay Posts: 6,987

Displacement/Bump, probably, and high subdivision. Iray will only give that effect when you have lots of geometry to support it, so you'd have to go into subdivision.

• Oso3DOso3D Posts: 14,886

I just started a commercial thread on it:

https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/254576/oso-fur-shaders-for-iray-commercial

The defaults for Oso Fur include displacement subd, so while you can tweak it, it should be just about where it needs to be by default.

As for LAMH, the look of LAMH is going to be better in a number of instances.

But Oso Furry is way easier to work with; easier to create fur, doesn’t take up much file space, and much faster to render than LAMH in Iray.

• ThatGuyThatGuy Posts: 794
    edited May 2018

it looks more like shaders for stuffed animals though, not "real" animals, no?  Well from the promo images, reminds me of https://www.daz3d.com/leather-and-fur-iray-shaders.

Post edited by ThatGuy on
    edited May 2018

Well, look over the promos and decide for yourself. Personally, I think that in many cases it looks good for real animals, and in most cases is at least an improvement over no fur.

Post edited by Oso3D on
  • nicsttnicstt Posts: 11,714
    Oso3D said:

Well, look over the promos and decide for yourself. Personally, I think that in many cases it looks good for real animals, and in most cases is at least an improvement over no fur.

Definitely. The default cat looks so unreal I have never bothered. Would love a well made cat.

This looks useful for sure.

• RedfernRedfern Posts: 1,579

To be honest, this doesn't look that much different from plugging a "noise" node into the displacement channel within Poser, a trick one has been able to do for a decade.

Sincerely,

Bill

• Serene NightSerene Night Posts: 17,559

This looks great for scarf fabric and synth fur materials like coat collars and winter hats.

• SotoSoto Posts: 1,437
    edited May 2018
    Redfern said:

To be honest, this doesn't look that much different from plugging a "noise" node into the displacement channel within Poser, a trick one has been able to do for a decade.

Sincerely,

Bill

Well... it´s not really a trick, unless you mean you can use individual noise AND a displacement map in Poser, which in that case, doesn´t have much to do with this DAZ Studio product then, since DAZ Studio use Displacement Strength only :/

I am reading this one does the noise procedurally AND also use a displacement map on top to contol the length in different areas. I can imagine applying the shader and using the specular map as a displacement mask in characters just to see what kind of length results I would get, or a cloudy/blotchy map for fabric, rugs, etc. Which would be more convenient to me that going into Photoshop and manually create a masked noise map and still not being able to adjust them individually.

Whatever makes my life easier. lol

Post edited by Soto on
  • nonesuch00nonesuch00 Posts: 17,926

Looks pretty good. Can it do a male lion or a lynx or such?

It can... but it's not great. It's one of the issues with displacement, that it's very mesh dependent.

If you look at the MilDog and MilCat in wireframe, they are ... reasonably balanced. The quads around the face are only a little smaller than those around the torso. Cool.

But Big Cats? Hooo boy. Teeny quads on the face, huge and varying quads on the torso. It doesn't make for good Furry.

Here's a sample result with a mask I was working on but didn't include.

Pummer.jpg
    1000 x 1000 - 293K
  • nonesuch00nonesuch00 Posts: 17,926
    Oso3D said:

It can... but it's not great. It's one of the issues with displacement, that it's very mesh dependent.

If you look at the MilDog and MilCat in wireframe, they are ... reasonably balanced. The quads around the face are only a little smaller than those around the torso. Cool.

But Big Cats? Hooo boy. Teeny quads on the face, huge and varying quads on the torso. It doesn't make for good Furry.

Here's a sample result with a mask I was working on but didn't include.

OK, thanks. That looks almost like a MineCraft puma. 

Better not let my son see that, ha.