List of Shader Mixer Tutorials and Recipes WIP please be patient as I update the list...thanks!

Comments

• PendraiaPendraia Posts: 3,591
    edited March 2015

I've just updated the original post...very disappointing that the forum archive hasn't come back up as so much valuable info has been lost.

Does anyone know a way to mix texture masks?

I have been working with lips using a png but I would like to be able to add alphas in for eyes, cheeks etc...

I'm also looking for a recipe to add in glossiness...

Also some renders of the different effects using shadermixer...

two_colours_voronoiandcloudslilac1.jpg
    600 x 600 - 140K
    two_colours_seamless_tile.jpg
    600 x 600 - 136K
    two_colours_voronoi_vwertical_stripe.jpg
    600 x 600 - 139K
    wave3dtwocolours.jpg
    600 x 600 - 135K
    network_copy.jpg
    1117 x 903 - 384K
    Post edited by Pendraia on
  • KeryaKerya Posts: 10,943
    edited March 2015

Pendraia said:
    I've just updated the original post...very disappointing that the forum archive hasn't come back up as so much valuable info has been lost.

I have been working with lips using a png but I would like to be able to add alphas in for eyes, cheeks etc...

Mix brick?
    http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/15796/

We seem to stumble over the same questions - LOL

Post edited by Kerya on
    edited March 2015

Kerya said:
    Pendraia said:

Mix brick?
    http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/15796/

We seem to stumble over the same questions - LOLYeah...I was already trying with the mix brick I have managed to get a partial solution...it's just not the colour I was expecting. Double crap...just realised I shut down DS without saving the network. At least I know that it's possible. I used a binary brick...off to see if I can replicate it. At least I have proof...

and yes we do stumble over similar questions...

changing_base_face_.jpg
    600 x 600 - 101K
    Post edited by Pendraia on
  • Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 96,832
    edited March 2015

Use multiple Mix bricks, as long as the areas to be masked don't overlap. I'm not sure there could be a generic way of handling overlaps, since it would depend on how the materials should combine (make-up would cover a birthmark, but tears would go over make-up for example - or even, the colour of make-up might overlay the colour of a scar but not the displacement).

Post edited by Richard Haseltine on
    edited December 1969

Use multiple Mix bricks, as long as the areas to be masked don't overlap. I'm not sure there could be a generic way of handling overlaps, since it would depend on how the materials should combine (make-up would cover a birthmark, but tears would go over make-up for example - or even, the colour of make-up might overlay the colour of a scar but not the displacement).

Hi Richard,

That was what I thought initially with a mix brick but I couldn't get it to work. In the end I tried a binary block but it is changing the colour. None of the maps overlap...

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 96,832
    edited December 1969

It should work - I haven't tried the things I did recently, but using Mix1 to layer one overlay onto the base controlled by mask 1, then feeding that as the base into Mix2 with mask 2 and a different overlay going into the Layer input etc. worked for me a while back.

edited December 1969

It should work - I haven't tried the things I did recently, but using Mix1 to layer one overlay onto the base controlled by mask 1, then feeding that as the base into Mix2 with mask 2 and a different overlay going into the Layer input etc. worked for me a while back.
    I'll try it again...I really would like to be able to load a few masks at the same time. Thanks Richard...
  • Eustace ScrubbEustace Scrubb Posts: 2,687
    edited December 1969

See my post on supplanting the If-Else brick with a Mix Brick sequence. http://www.daz3d.com/forums/viewreply/515007/

edited December 1969

See my post on supplanting the If-Else brick with a Mix Brick sequence. http://www.daz3d.com/forums/viewreply/515007/
    Thanks...I'll check it out.
  • BejaymacBejaymac Posts: 1,845
    edited December 1969

Posted the attached pic a few times now, this is Saganami's shader that he showed on the old forums, I got the network from the archive before it was lost.

What you are looking at is four black and white "masks" that overlap, they are layered on top of each other, the base mask is the blue and purple, the black on the wrists and chest is the first layered mask, it hides the join between the blue and purple, the white dots is the next layer which sits on top of the other two, the top layer is the emblem you see on her hip.

The second pic shows the Diffuse and Opacity setup, the base layer is Mix (6) with the top layer being Mix (3), by connecting them like this you can layer as many on top of each other as you want, even to the extent of layering over Opacity.

network.jpg
    1357 x 605 - 182K
    Masks.jpg
    713 x 647 - 179K
    edited December 1969

Bejaymac said:
    Posted the attached pic a few times now, this is Saganami's shader that he showed on the old forums, I got the network from the archive before it was lost.

What you are looking at is four black and white "masks" that overlap, they are layered on top of each other, the base mask is the blue and purple, the black on the wrists and chest is the first layered mask, it hides the join between the blue and purple, the white dots is the next layer which sits on top of the other two, the top layer is the emblem you see on her hip.

The second pic shows the Diffuse and Opacity setup, the base layer is Mix (6) with the top layer being Mix (3), by connecting them like this you can layer as many on top of each other as you want, even to the extent of layering over Opacity.

thank you so much Bejaymac! That is exactly what I was looking for. I remembered the post but couldn't find it as the archive is no longer available.

I have been trying to update the first post but so many of the threads are now lost. I have started a wiki in the hopes that once I set it up enough and I post about it that people will post networks there and keep everything in the one place. Needless to say it would be great to also back that up either through using the wayback machine or saving files to a computer and archiving them. In the meantime I am spending what spare time I have trying to collect links to put on there.

• mjc1016mjc1016 Posts: 15,001
    edited December 1969

Pendraia said:
    Bejaymac said:

thank you so much Bejaymac! That is exactly what I was looking for. I remembered the post but couldn't find it as the archive is no longer available.

I have been trying to update the first post but so many of the threads are now lost. I have started a wiki in the hopes that once I set it up enough and I post about it that people will post networks there and keep everything in the one place. Needless to say it would be great to also back that up either through using the wayback machine or saving files to a computer and archiving them. In the meantime I am spending what spare time I have trying to collect links to put on there.

I have a bunch of networks saved as jpgs from the old archive. But they are on a hard drive that is not too healthy. It will last long enough to get them off, but I'm not touching it, until I get a new large storage drive. I'll let you know when I do...

edited December 1969

mjc1016 said:
    Pendraia said:
    Bejaymac said:

I have a bunch of networks saved as jpgs from the old archive. But they are on a hard drive that is not too healthy. It will last long enough to get them off, but I'm not touching it, until I get a new large storage drive. I'll let you know when I do...

Thanks...here's the site if anyone has anything they want to put up.
    http://shader-mixer-for-daz-studio.wikia.com/wiki/Shader_Mixer_for_Daz_Studio_Wiki

I think that it's possible for others to upload info...if you have problems let me know. Only page that is protected is the first page...still have a long way to go as I only started yesterday.

edited December 1969

Pendraia said:

http://shader-mixer-for-daz-studio.wikia.com/wiki/Shader_Mixer_for_Daz_Studio_Wiki

I think that it's possible for others to upload info...if you have problems let me know. Only page that is protected is the first page...still have a long way to go as I only started yesterday.

I even have some Morrowind stuff with your name on it, saved up (it's on other media than the problematic hard drive)... :cheese:

edited December 1969

mjc1016 said:
    Pendraia said:

I even have some Morrowind stuff with your name on it, saved up (it's on other media than the problematic hard drive)... :cheese:

Wow...that would be from when I first started in 3D. That's a long time ago...I remember starting using DS with Neil and Matty over at CI's those were fun times. Sickle started over there also...

I did some retextures for Oblivion and Skyrim mainly resources like basket retextures...most stuff is still on my hard drive as I have a tendency to get distracted sometimes.:red:

edited December 1969

Pendraia said:
    mjc1016 said:
    Pendraia said:

Wow...that would be from when I first started in 3D. That's a long time ago...I remember starting using DS with Neil and Matty over at CI's those were fun times. Sickle started over there also...

I did some retextures for Oblivion and Skyrim mainly resources like basket retextures...most stuff is still on my hard drive as I have a tendency to get distracted sometimes.:red:

That's what got me started with Blender...good ol' niftools/Blender combo.

edited December 1969

mjc1016 said:
    Pendraia said:
    mjc1016 said:
    Pendraia said:

That's what got me started with Blender...good ol' niftools/Blender combo.I could never get the hang of blender...I did recently managed to follow a couple of tutorials though. Hexagon was so much easier to pick up and these days it's ZBrush...I did once make some props that I wanted to use in a mod but it required learning blender to do the collision so they're still sitting on my hard drive.

• atticanneatticanne Posts: 3,009
    edited December 1969

Pendraia said:
    mjc1016 said:
    Pendraia said:
    Bejaymac said:

Thanks for setting this up. I've bookmarked it and know it will used quite a bit.

• Mage 13X13Mage 13X13 Posts: 433

Hello everybody! I know I've not posted since the last thread for this was closed, but I have been busy with a lot of projects going at the same time, LOL! I recent acquired Poser 10, and have done some shader making in it with instruction from a good friend that knows the application quite well. What I have accomplished has amazed me, as I never thought I could pick up on it so quickly. Yeah, I know, it's Poser and not DAZ Studio, but what I have noted is that the procedures for making shaders in both is quite similar as well as how things look in both Shader Mixers.

So now I come here with a request concerning using the DAZ Studio 4.8 Shader Mixer to make a special shader for a friend. He want a recipe for making his own Water Shaders using bump/displacement maps, fresnel, reflection, opacity, caustics, and refraction. The shader should be able to pickup the colors of other items in the scene for the reflection effect, so I don't know if a color node is even needed, although I suspect it would, as most shaders I've seen still have a color node even when only gray scale is being used. Besides I think it could be used to color the liquid like in a drink or some other colored liquid needed. I know there are some good water shaders available at ShareCG, and I have a couple of them, but being able to make your own gives a person a sense of accomplishment, and can boost a person's morale.

I have to admit too that I want to learn this as well, and to help my friends that do not visit these forums. So if anyone can help me with a good recipe or a link to one, I will be grateful. I will of course upload to ShareCG any good shader I make using the recipe.

If you have questions, please ask, so that I can be more specific if needed.

Thanks and Stay Awesome!

To Pendraia: thanks for getting back into this subject! I hope we can at least recover most of what was lost!

• Mage 13X13Mage 13X13 Posts: 433
    edited August 2015

Pendraia, I downloaded the two Shader Mixer tutorials you put up at ShareCG. I am having trouble with the one that tells how to create a shader that uses a black and white pattern image or a texture brick to create a two color pattern. This is the first one if I'm not mistaken.

I followed the tutorial from beginning to end in the proper sequence of the process making sure I got each step exactly the way you have it described At the end of each part of the tutorial, I have five bricks including the two default bricks. All values are exactly the same as yours and all bricks are connected in the same order and way yours is connected. I checked mine against yours several times and there are no differences between the way everything is set up. In fact my only difference is the image map I used for the one with the Image brick, and the colors I chose to use. Now here is what is different about my Image brick from yours: the right side has a single connection node before I click on the upper right menu icon and select Show Advanced. After enabling Show Advanced the two extra nodes that need to be connected are also showing on the right side of that brick. But this difference is not what is causing the problem I am having. The truth is I cannot figure what the cause is. I can click the preview on the Tiler brick and the Image Brick or Texture Brick and the Representative image shows what things look like up to that point. The bricks to the left of those two do not show the pattern and are actually showing a black ball in all of the previews. These are the Surface Brick, that large brick that has a lot of parameters in it, and the Mixer Brick. And it does not matter which version of the two color shader is being made. Now I did note that all of the bricks I have show an extra feature at their bottoms saying Language Type RSL. Could that have something to do with it? Just what does RSL mean and do? I do know from earlier shaders I made that the Surface brick is the one that goes directly to the Surfaces Editor, so it is the ultimate output of any shader made in Shader Mixer.

My copy of DAZ Studio is the latest version available, and was installed using the DAZ Install Manager. Not sure if that has anything to do with it, but I figure too much info is better than not enough. LOL I'm hoping you or someone here can help me with this.

Thank you!

Post edited by Mage 13X13 on
  • V3DigitimesV3Digitimes Posts: 3,049
    edited August 2015

RSL means you are using bricks working for 3DELIGHT only. Colors in the preview depend upon the variable internal names and associated colors. Preview colors will take into account diffuse color and strength as the base then the other parameters too, but you have to take great care of the variable names. Not the label, the name. Try to have them identical as the names used in DS default material for 3delight.

Edit : RSL stands for render man shading language 

Post edited by V3Digitimes on

Pendraia, I downloaded the two Shader Mixer tutorials you put up at ShareCG. I am having trouble with the one that tells how to create a shader that uses a black and white pattern image or a texture brick to create a two color pattern. This is the first one if I'm not mistaken.

I followed the tutorial from beginning to end in the proper sequence of the process making sure I got each step exactly the way you have it described At the end of each part of the tutorial, I have five bricks including the two default bricks. All values are exactly the same as yours and all bricks are connected in the same order and way yours is connected. I checked mine against yours several times and there are no differences between the way everything is set up. In fact my only difference is the image map I used for the one with the Image brick, and the colors I chose to use. Now here is what is different about my Image brick from yours: the right side has a single connection node before I click on the upper right menu icon and select Show Advanced. After enabling Show Advanced the two extra nodes that need to be connected are also showing on the right side of that brick. But this difference is not what is causing the problem I am having. The truth is I cannot figure what the cause is. I can click the preview on the Tiler brick and the Image Brick or Texture Brick and the Representative image shows what things look like up to that point. The bricks to the left of those two do not show the pattern and are actually showing a black ball in all of the previews. These are the Surface Brick, that large brick that has a lot of parameters in it, and the Mixer Brick. And it does not matter which version of the two color shader is being made. Now I did note that all of the bricks I have show an extra feature at their bottoms saying Language Type RSL. Could that have something to do with it? Just what does RSL mean and do? I do know from earlier shaders I made that the Surface brick is the one that goes directly to the Surfaces Editor, so it is the ultimate output of any shader made in Shader Mixer.

My copy of DAZ Studio is the latest version available, and was installed using the DAZ Install Manager. Not sure if that has anything to do with it, but I figure too much info is better than not enough. LOL I'm hoping you or someone here can help me with this.

Thank you!

Sorry to hear that you're having problems. My first question is which render engine do you have it set on? If it's on Iray it won't work and you won't be able to see previews. If you have it on 3Delight it should work I just tried throwing on a mix brick and an image brick and it worked for me once I remembered to change it to 3Delight. If that's not it post your network and I'll see if I can work out what's happening. I wonder as you said it has a black ball have you changed the colour of the base and the layer on the mix brick because that's what I got until I changed the colour. 

image mixnetwork.jpg
    1051 x 897 - 335K
  • Make sure you remember the render settings!  Whichever renderer you set your scene up for, whether Luxus, iRay, or 3Delight Scripted (or the old standby 3Delight) is the one the Shader Mixer will reference as well.  This is good, because it will let you see what your projects look like under different render conditions, but you have to stay on top of it.  Even the difference between 3Delight and 3Delight Scripted can, depending on the script employed, throw off your result and thereby your "fixes" for it considerably.

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,811
    edited July 2016

Nm

Post edited by WendyLuvsCatz on

Carnite also did a tutorial either video or pdf on the shadowcatcher IIRC...

Pendraia said:

Carnite also did a tutorial either video or pdf on the shadowcatcher IIRC...

Thanks for the links mjc1016...

• Could one of the Shader Gurus maybe explain this a little better? 

No, a Tiler block is another way to get the S and T values - what you want are values for the scale and offset which will determine the area you want to apply the adjusted map to.

Considering just U for now

Variable brick gives U value

Value brick gives U offset

Value brick gives U scale

Brick group 1: feed U and U Offset into a Binary operation brick set to subtract, feed the out put of that and the U scale into another binary operation set to divide. That gives a range of 0 to 1 for the area of the model you want to apply the map to (and unhelpful values elsewhere, but they will be discarded). Feed that into the S input of the image map bricks for your Diffuse and your alpha.

Brick group 2: feed U value and U Offset into a Compare brick set to Greater than, feed that into a Mix brick for each map as the Alpha with black as the base and the output of Brick group 1 for that map as the layer. Feed U Offset and U Scale into a Binary Operation set to Addition, then feed U Value and that addition into a Compare brick set to Greater than, feed that into Mix bricks as the alpha with the output from the previous mix as the base and black as the layer. That will give black if the U value is less than the offset or greater than the offset plus the scale, or the adjusted map if U is between those limits.

I haven't tested that, but I think it's right. Actually you need to do that only to the alpha, the diffuse you can just run with a Tiler brick since the unwanted repeats will be hidden by the alpha.

I understand the Block Group 1 part well enough, but the Block Group 2 part sends my head spinning. Especially, what do I connect the final Mix brick's output to?  I'm also not sure what value to set the offset and scale to.

I understand the Block Group 1 part well enough, but the Block Group 2 part sends my head spinning. Especially, what do I connect the final Mix brick's output to?  I'm also not sure what value to set the offset and scale to.

Maybe I'm being thick tonight...but Group 2 has my head spinning...and I usually understand this stuff.