daz to maya to daz, whith daztomay plug in.

Hello,

First of all, i've bought the plug-in "daztomaya" and i have to say that it's a real pleasure to animate genesis8, finally !

As a lot's of people said : daz caractere are wonderful but daz studio is a nonsens. why beautiful caracters?  why a lots of morph ? why caractere shading, powerpose, beautiful iray rendering  and other.....and why not good ik system an animation tools... ? But it's not the purpose of my post.

well, i've read a lot of post on daz forum and maya about this plug-in but nobody give us a sumary of the import and export process between daz and maya.

my goal is to use this plug-in : export character in maya, animate it, export to daz to apply morph and render it with the beautiful iray render engine.

today, i sum up everything i've tested and seen on the web. the following step are working for me and be probably be helpfull for somebody else :

- create your caracter in daz and morph it.

- use the the script "daztomaya" on daz studio; it export your caracter

- into maya use the script to import your caracter. good job, the riggin is good.

- animate it as you want using the powerfool animation tools of maya (not motion builder)

- when you're done, in the human ik tool of maya, select "bake to skeleton"

- in the outliner of maya, select both the "character_control_reference" and the "Genesis8Female_group"

- again click file->export selection- > fbx export, and choose edit preset and select "autodesk motionbuilder". below all the option in "fbx file format" choose type "ascii"  andf "fbx 2011"

- in daz studio select import and import the previous fbx exported from maya

=> done ! this import an animation with our previous character.

But but but...when i save it as a pose preset in daz, load  genesis8, and try ti apply the pose preset, the motion is not applied to it. nothing come.

So my question is : does anybody, one day, has succesfully import daz caracter animation make with maya into the source character into daz studio ?????? (using the plug-in daztomay if it's possible :-) )

thanks a lot for any help

Comments

• Hi Tiamat

I'm not using the Maya plugin, but I do have a working pipeline between Motionbuilder and Daz Studio, with all Genesis characters, and from what I read, the process sounds basically the same (as you are exporting from Maya with the autodesk motionbuilder preset),

What are you animating in Maya? both the body and facial morphs? body only?  Daz studio adds a prefix to morphs and sometimes nodes, that when bringing back into studio as an fbx, won't work without editing the .duf file to remove them.  There also could be some stuff that Maya is adding that gets written into the .duf file that Daz Studio doesn't recognize.  Would you be willing to share your .duf file with me? I can then open it in wordpad and see what is going on

• tiamattiamat Posts: 21

Hi Bryan,

Thanks a lot for answering.

It's a very interesting thing you've written : do you successfully create a daz caracter animation in motion builder an be able to apply it in daz studio as a pose preset ?

At this point i'm just trying to find what it could be done (with a less of work cheeky). To do that i'v made a very simple animation : genesis 8 is standing, crouching, then standing again, and to add more realism breast are bouncing.

with some different test and to go further of my first need here is three important conclusion to understand why i want, first done the animation in maya an then, re-import in daz :

- daztomaya plugin doesn't import the daz morph you want.

- jiggle maya's defomer for breast boucing made a really good job, but fbx doesn't export any maya's deformer, excepting blendshape, to daz. so it will be preferable to use daz morph, in daz, to do this

- the arnold texture conversion is good but not as well as a direct iray render : better render in daz

To answer your question, i'd like effectively to animate both body and facials. you said that daz add some prefix to morph, is there a script to correct this ? to understand the duf an fbx file structure do you know some tutorials ?

i'd like to share my duf file, but the upload failed in daz forum, i don't know why ? (file's to bigger ?)

Again, thanks for your help

• Cris PalominoCris Palomino Posts: 11,142

You may wish to go through this thread as it's been a lengthy discussion and may be helpful.

https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/208631/daz-to-maya-question/p1

• Hi Tiamat

I did a little video some time ago illustrating my workflow  https://vimeo.com/227139373  this should answer your questions, and if you have any others.. you can pm me here..

Hi Bryan, Hi Cris,

@Cris : i've finally learn how to import daz morph as blende shape in maya, but in a direct fbx export, thanks for that, but it seems the daztomaya plugin doesn't check the moprh export rules.

@Brian : thanks for he video, very rewarding, but there is a last things that doesn't work.

I'm now able to save my motion builder animation as a pose preset in daz studio and apply it to genesis caracter. I've followed the steps in the video to disable ik, turn off rotation, and unlock all the genesis 8 part. my animation is well applied except for the foots : i always have unexpected sliding motion on the foot.

Do you have any idea to correct this ?

Ps : in motion builder i don't import a target fbx as you. i just do my own simple animation

Thanks for your help

• Hi Tiamat

I'm still sort of figuring that one out, as I have some that really exhibit this problem, and others that don't, For example, I recently did an animation with the SED cyborg character.. no foot sliding, yet I can do one with some other gen8 based character.. and it has the foot sliding issue, so i'm not entirely sure what is causing it.

Hi Bryan,

You know, i've discoverded Maya, Daz and Poser, fifteen years ago and it seems that fifteen years laters, the " unexpected food sliding " without an "Einstein" solution is not still here in daz studio. i realy can't understand the buissness plan between Daz and Poser, and other major companies. Ok, there's a "Buisness to Buisness" plan for Majors, Maya, 3dsmax and so one, but if you want to plan to be a" Buisness to Consumer" like Daz or Poser, why don't you make the essentials tools to animate your own caracters in daz, and why make so horrible caracter in Poser : fifteen years later nothing is made for the hobiest i am.

bref, i've now found a very simple way to use daztomaya plugin and import at the same time, all the daz studio morph i want, so i can use them in maya's animation as keyframed blendshape. Nowaday, i'm ready to loose the iray rendering in order to make my own caracter alive in arnold rendering in maya.

Thanks a lot for your help,

byby